Buying Advice Any Mahindra 3540 owners?

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #1  

Kimber1911

I am going to the local Mahindra dealer this weekend to look at the 35 series tractors again. I really like the look of the 3540, it seems to be a very solid built tractor, my only concern is if at 40 horsepower it isn't a little under powered for such a heavy tractor. I like the weight as I have a lot of woods to be cleared from storm damage, seems like weight and a strong loader would be a benefit there. Should I be looking at the 3550 instead, its nice, a big jump in price for 10 horsepower though. If you have one let me know your opinion, also how reliable has it been? Thanks

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #2  
Plenty of HP for that size tractor.. with the extra range of gears the power to the ground is well more than enough..

Imo I like the 4540 or 4550 even better for what your getting.. even more weight and lift and the 50hp is less than even the 3540.. you do sacrifice a range of gears and the shuttle/or HST bells and whistles but you get more tractor imo

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners?
They are nice, however my Dad who would also be using the tractor has a bad knee so we are looking at hydrostatic tractors. Thanks

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #4  
Ahh then yes if your looking hydrostat the 3540 is going to be a good choice.. You still will have plenty of umf when it comes to the loader.. great view from the seat and lots of weight to the ground.. 3range hydro makes grunt work no problem for that 40hp.... now on the pto side of things id limit it to a 6ft brush hog. and smaller pto implements to get the best work out of it.

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #5  
I would not suggest a Mahindra, bought 3550hst in feb last year and was at dealership for over 3 months total. Mahrindra is terrible for customer service have it back and started but stalled out again today, front end loader control sticks also as its cold outside. my tractor would just stall and I think dealer was thinking I was crazy as eng light does not come on or holds code until last time they pulled around and it stalled on them. so they took back changed fuel lines and other things, Well that didn't work as today it stalled on me again and I don't have a 3 hours since I got it back for fifth time. the tilt still does not work and steering wheel is straight up position, leaks oil still from main pump, again third time. I can only mow in first gear with a 6 foot brush hog Mahindra rep (Rubin) said its because its heavy, who wants to mow at 1-2mph because tractor stalls out in 2nd gear, forget about third gear unless you are going down hill, temp gauge doesn't go up. see there is something out on forums about that, my dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it. I will say it lifts on front end loader more than any tractor in its league but i'll take my old new Holland tc45 back any day it would mow 6mph all day long and never bog down in 2nd gear. have less then 90 hours on it and live in western pa for sale cheap still has 4yr warranty left. they may be #1 selling tractor in America but the Renault alliance was #1 also before and we know what a pos they were. enough said run my friend disgruntled customer that just wants a new tractor with no problems or leaks

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #6  
I would not suggest a Mahindra, bought 3550hst in feb last year and was at dealership for over 3 months total. Mahrindra is terrible for customer service have it back and started but stalled out again today, front end loader control sticks also as its cold outside. my tractor would just stall and I think dealer was thinking I was crazy as eng light does not come on or holds code until last time they pulled around and it stalled on them. so they took back changed fuel lines and other things, Well that didn't work as today it stalled on me again and I don't have a 3 hours since I got it back for fifth time. the tilt still does not work and steering wheel is straight up position, leaks oil still from main pump, again third time. I can only mow in first gear with a 6 foot brush hog Mahindra rep (Rubin) said its because its heavy, who wants to mow at 1-2mph because tractor stalls out in 2nd gear, forget about third gear unless you are going down hill, temp gauge doesn't go up. see there is something out on forums about that, my dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it. I will say it lifts on front end loader more than any tractor in its league but i'll take my old new Holland tc45 back any day it would mow 6mph all day long and never bog down in 2nd gear. have less then 90 hours on it and live in western pa for sale cheap still has 4yr warranty left. they may be #1 selling tractor in America but the Renault alliance was #1 also before and we know what a pos they were. enough said run my friend disgruntled customer that just wants a new tractor with no problems or leaks
I have had a similar experience with Mahindra. I thought I was getting a solid tractor at a better price point, but what I ended up with can only be described as a headache. Poor customer service, inexperienced dealership, more leaks than anything I've ever owned with an engine, etc. Do yourself a favor and take your time and do as much research as possible. Sometimes the devil is in the details - take 15 minutes and REALLY LOOK at the fit and finish on a Mahindra compared to some other options....

Wow, Thanks for the advice. I am also going to look at Massey Ferguson's this weekend, guess I'll be looking even harder.

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #8  
Both of what you just read was dealer issues and a little bit of butt hurt too.. you can find plenty of people that don't like any brand or have had issues with a brand no matter the color... be a big boy make your own choice

Roger that! I'm still looking.

/ Any Mahindra 3540 owners? #10  
Both of what you just read was dealer issues and a little bit of butt hurt too.. you can find plenty of people that don't like any brand or have had issues with a brand no matter the color... be a big boy make your own choice
Really? Butt hurt? How old are you? You can't just say it's a dealer issue, because guess what, Mahindra does business with the dealer!!! I'm not saying that it isn't a capable tractor, but for $25,000 I expect a product that doesn't come with the issues I have had. By the way - I have contacted Mahindra directly - they didn't really offer the level of service I expected either.