1526/1533/2538 HST Price check

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #1  

jgiannini

Tractor
Ferris 3100
I'm in the process of purchasing my first compact utility tractor and I believe the 1526 will do everything I need to do. I own and operate a small landscape business, mulching, planting shrubs,bushes, and trees. I was quoted $28,540 with all rebates for a 1526 HST w/ loader, backhoe, 60” rotary cutter and 60” tiller.

I did also spec the 1533 and the 2538. I was quoted $31,408 for either, both equipped with a loader and backhoe, rotary cutter, tiller.

Don't know if spending there extra $2,868 will benefit me. I'm also worried the extra weight may cause unwanted damage to yards.

What is everyone else paying? Am I getting a fare deal, or should I lean on them a bit?

Thanks in advance Jeff G.

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #2  
I was quoted $28,540 with all rebates for a 1526 HST w/ loader, backhoe, 60” rotary cutter and 60” tiller

the 1526 is basically a re-engined 3016. I bought my 3016 a year and a half ago with loader and bh for $24k.

if you factor in adding a cutter, tiller and additional cost of the tier 4 stuff and inflation, i think you're doing ok with that price.

that machine, with R4 tires doesn't even make a dent in my lawn. those tires are wide.

You will be very pleased with the size, it's not a mini nor is it too large. It's a real tractor not an overgrown mower.

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #3  
I just purchased a 2538 TLB, with 60" Tiller, and a 72" Rotary Cutter. I also added cruise (not standard on 2538) and a thumb and some extra buckets for the Backhoe. You are in the ballpark on the 2538 pricing.

I actually did the same comparison as you did between the 1526 / 1533 / 2538. I originally went in with the thought of buying the 1526, but I personally found the most bang for the buck in the 2538. I'm using it for a part time landscape / farm business, but I have owned full time landscape company and used a similar machine in the past.

I find no issue with the weight damaging yards, just gotta be careful, and watch how your guys use it.

My reasons for picking the 2538 over the 1526/1533 were as follows:

Lift Specs (Max Lift Height) Loading Dump trailer / truck
Backhoe Specs (Look at Digging Force)
PTO HP (I wanted to run a 6' cutter on the machine more comfortably, other attachments...)
Hydro Pedal design (2 instead of 1 rocker, Personal preference...)
Rear Fuel Tank (Easy fill when loaded on trailer)
Tire Size (Felt like the larger tires would float better on the 2538)
Operator Area (I liked the work station of the 2538 better...)

I'm really happy with my purchase so far, and I just got it a couple weeks ago. I did a mowing job in a wet field with it, and caused very little ruts, even with standing water. Machine performed flawlessly. Also had no issue picking up my 5' round bales, stacked 3 high....

I think you can't go wrong with any of the three, given they are all Mahindra's.

I agree with oldpilgrim, none of these are overgrown mowers, they are real tractors.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your purchase!

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #4  
Agree with all comments above. Like TechGuyTN, I added cruise to my recent 2538 purchase and also swapped in the suspension seat from a 2540. That was a life saver as our tract north of town is raw and rough. You might consider that swap as well. I was upgrading from an original Max 25 which is the smaller "real tractor" that Mahindra came out with in 2012. That was perfect for 2 acres and I think would have made a really fine landscape tractor as well, especially if you were worried about weight. I needed to upgrade in size and weight for the larger acreage, but when it is wet in town, my lawn does yield somewhat to the bigger tractor, but folks don't even mow with zero turns when wet, so not a big deal. No problems when dry though, and even the Max would leave it's mark after heavy rains.

CAUTION - I was helping a neighbor move a big 800# +/- palm tree into his yard with the Max when it seemed dry after there was a hard rain the week prior. We found a wet spot in the yard and under full load I did end up making a little bit of a mess... It was still worth it for him to get the tree into the yard, but these are real tractors and can leave their mark in certain circumstances.

The price you quote for the 2538 TLB with cutter and tiller seems a tad high at least for TX pricing, but I honestly did not quote a backhoe, so I'm just speculating that a backhoe shouldn't cost $9-10 grand. (Maybe it does...)

It really is worth getting on and driving. Turn in circles on all machines as you may be working in tight quarters. I am impressed with the tight turning radius of the 2538. Lastly - the 1538 is more comparable to the 2538 than is the 1533, so keep that in mind if you want to run the 6' cutter like TechGuy TN pointed out.

Here is the nimble and stout Max 25. (Really a good unit for yard work and moving mulch around - also cut some nasty stuff with the 4' cutter.)
Small tractor and operator for auction item smaller.jpg

And the 2538 with similar equipment - It definitely is bigger and heavier, but still agile enough to work in my wooded 2 acre town yard while having the muscle for dealing with a larger recently logged tract out in the country too. (Also, they both can each fit inside a 12' x 16' barn shed with 4' walls - one at a time of course...) You just need to make sure you have a 7' wide door(s) for the 66" bucket on the 2538.
After cutting.jpg

Good luck with your decision!

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check
It's ordered! I went with the 2538, loader, backhoe with thumb, 72" cutter, 72" tiller, and cruise control. Dealer said it will be 3-4 weeks before it comes in.

Snowback, the shed/barn is next

Thank you everyone for your help!!

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #6  
Congrats Jgiannini! Enjoy your new machine. You might try to talk your dealer into ordering the 2540 suspension seat for you as well. It's a life saver on my rough tract. (Maybe split the dealer cost with him...?) LA Confederate has posted some cool 2538 videos on YouTube and there is also one in the other 2538 thread here on this subforum.

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #7  
Congrats!!!!!!!!! I think you will really enjoy that machine. I just dropped off mine, the backhoe came in this week, so I should be able to get some pics and video of it this weekend, if the weather holds out.

I'm also considering the seat as well, and looking for a canopy for it.

/ 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check
Agree with all comments above. Like TechGuyTN, I added cruise to my recent 2538 purchase and also swapped in the suspension seat from a 2540. That was a life saver as our tract north of town is raw and rough. You might consider that swap as well. I was upgrading from an original Max 25 which is the smaller "real tractor" that Mahindra came out with in 2012. That was perfect for 2 acres and I think would have made a really fine landscape tractor as well, especially if you were worried about weight. I needed to upgrade in size and weight for the larger acreage, but when it is wet in town, my lawn does yield somewhat to the bigger tractor, but folks don't even mow with zero turns when wet, so not a big deal. No problems when dry though, and even the Max would leave it's mark after heavy rains.

CAUTION - I was helping a neighbor move a big 800# +/- palm tree into his yard with the Max when it seemed dry after there was a hard rain the week prior. We found a wet spot in the yard and under full load I did end up making a little bit of a mess... It was still worth it for him to get the tree into the yard, but these are real tractors and can leave their mark in certain circumstances.

The price you quote for the 2538 TLB with cutter and tiller seems a tad high at least for TX pricing, but I honestly did not quote a backhoe, so I'm just speculating that a backhoe shouldn't cost $9-10 grand. (Maybe it does...)

It really is worth getting on and driving. Turn in circles on all machines as you may be working in tight quarters. I am impressed with the tight turning radius of the 2538. Lastly - the 1538 is more comparable to the 2538 than is the 1533, so keep that in mind if you want to run the 6' cutter like TechGuy TN pointed out.

Here is the nimble and stout Max 25. (Really a good unit for yard work and moving mulch around - also cut some nasty stuff with the 4' cutter.)
View attachment 458115

And the 2538 with similar equipment - It definitely is bigger and heavier, but still agile enough to work in my wooded 2 acre town yard while having the muscle for dealing with a larger recently logged tract out in the country too. (Also, they both can each fit inside a 12' x 16' barn shed with 4' walls - one at a time of course...) You just need to make sure you have a 7' wide door(s) for the 66" bucket on the 2538.
View attachment 458116

Good luck with your decision!

What did you end up paying for the 2538 front end grapple??

Last edited:
   / 1526/1533/2538 HST Price check #10  
What did you end up paying for the 2538 front end grapple??

OK - So that setup is an EA 60" single lid Wicked Grapple $1,799 - Single Lid Root Grapple

I also purchased the matched 3rd function valve from EA. It is a WR long unit, but EA matches hoses and fittings to the grapple you purchase from them $787 after a $50 rebate - 3rd function auxilliary hydraulic kits for all brands of tractors and loaders! purchase online, free shipping within 1,000 miles!!

I had the guys at J5 Tractors here in Conroe do the 3rd function install as I was lazy after the new year and thought they would know electrical the best. +/-$200 (Only thing even remotely complicated would be a power source for the switch.) This 3rd function kits included all fittings and hoses.

Here is a pic of the 3rd function valve and it bolts right onto side of loader control and then uses power beyond to route new power circuit to the front. Switch is easy to use with index or middle finger while utilizing other loader functions. The only other things you might need if DIY are some back zip ties and maybe caps for your hydraulic hoses on the front when you have the grapple off and are using a bucket. I put $5 male and female strapped caps on the tractor side of the front connections, and then just connect the grapple hose ends together to keep them clean when it is not in use.

All in was about $2,800 for everything including installation. EA includes shipping in their prices if your are <1,000 miles from HQ in North Carolina. The comparable Mahindra 60" single lid setup was $3,000 installed. Would have been similar, but I liked the EA grapple much better and it weighs less than the Mahindra grapple which is helpful to maximize your lift capacity. Certainly some other good grapple options out there and I'd encourage you to do a quick search on the many grapple threads out there. I like this one because it is very strong, lightweight, and matches the max width of the tractor which helps me gauge where I can go in the woods as it gets tight in some places. Good luck!

3rd function.jpg