Comparison Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Comparing the MF 1742 to the Mahindra 1538. I've owned a Mahjndra 3316 HST for about 8 years and it's served me well. It's time for something a little bigger and newer. My Mahindra dealer picked up the Massey line so the dealer would be the same regardless of brand. The tractors seem very comparable on most things. MF is about $2500 more and seems to spec a tad bit better at the backhoe and loader. Also looks to be a little more "comfortable". 1742 seems to be a little bigger tractor. I like the idea of no dpf and 4 cyl on the mahindra, but I like the Mitsubishi engine on the MF. Is there anything that should sway my decision to the Mahindra?

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #2  
Guilt ?

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #3  
Joel, you know me, I'm a Mahindra guy also, still running my 7520 & 3215. I wouldn't even compare the two. 1742 all the way without hesitation. For several reasons, I just don't like the 1533-38. The rocker pedal sucks for one though. Operate for very long and go to let off and my foot is wedged between the rocker and under the break pedal and YOU DO NOT STOP.:shocked: I have operated a 1533 several times and this has happened every time. For me, this alone would be a deal breaker.

YMMV, good luck with your decision. ;)

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #4  
We have a 1538 TLB in our rental fleet. It was put into service in March and is coming up on 500 hr. Its taking a beating but is running great with no issues thus far. :)

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #5  
That MF does look to be a bit more tractor than the 1538, which is also a very nice unit. Can't go wrong with either, but might be worth the bump in price to get a little more machine.

Another option might be the Mahindra 2538. I think it would be less money than either of the two mentioned, and the capabilities somewhat bridge the 1538 and 1742. Pricing at the time I picked up my 2538 was about $3,000 less than the 1538, so that would be almost a $5,500 savings if compared against the Massey. It's a man's tractor with no cup holder or many frills, but you can spec a suspension seat and cruise control for +/- $500. Very capable machine for us so far. And - relating to the issue MountainViewRanch noted on the 1538 pedal, the HST pedal on the 2538 is a side by side setup, and the brakes are on the proper side, (left), so you can use the differential turning feature if in tight quarters and working the HST.

Good luck!

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #6  
Joel, you know me, I'm a Mahindra guy also, still running my 7520 & 3215. I wouldn't even compare the two. 1742 all the way without hesitation. For several reasons, I just don't like the 1533-38. The rocker pedal sucks for one though. Operate for very long and go to let off and my foot is wedged between the rocker and under the break pedal and YOU DO NOT STOP.:shocked: I have operated a 1533 several times and this has happened every time. For me, this alone would be a deal breaker.

YMMV, good luck with your decision. ;)

Then again you could always get a shuttle drive like I did. I think that rocker pedal is a downright stupid design. A two pedal might be better but I never drove one.

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #7  
Massey. Iseki builds them and they're top notch, tough, refined, dependable. The HST has Auto Throttle (linked pedal) and HST sensitivity controls. Better control panel too (dash electronics). More hydraulic flow. Nicer cab. Can't think of an argument for the Mahindra.

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742
The rocker pedal isn't a deal breaker for me. That's the setup now on the 3316. I think I'd prefer the side by side setup, but I can live with the rocker. I nixed the 2538 (and the e series MF) from the start. I've vowed to NEVER own another TYM tractor after fighting the 7010 for several years. If the 1538 still had a Mitsubishi engine and didn't have that fugly black front fascia it'd be a no brainer. We've beat and thrashed the 3316 and it's never let us down.

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742 #9  
The rocker pedal isn't a deal breaker for me. That's the setup now on the 3316. I think I'd prefer the side by side setup, but I can live with the rocker. I nixed the 2538 (and the e series MF) from the start. I've vowed to NEVER own another TYM tractor after fighting the 7010 for several years. If the 1538 still had a Mitsubishi engine and didn't have that fugly black front fascia it'd be a no brainer. We've beat and thrashed the 3316 and it's never let us down.

It is not the same rocker set up that is on the 3316. Maybe under the floor, but on top it is different and extremely dangerous for me to operate.

If you have small feet you might be ok.

YMMV

/ Mahindra 1538 or MF 1742
It is not the same rocker set up that is on the 3316. Maybe under the floor, but on top it is different and extremely dangerous for me to operate. If you have small feet you might be ok. YMMV
Anybody have a picture of the rocker pedal on the 1538? None on the dealer lot.