Time to decide

/ Time to decide #1  

jmh1783

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST
Well, it is getting close to decision time. After all the research, visiting dealers and test drives it has come down to three Mahindra models: 2540, 2555, 5545 all shuttle. I realize that's quite a spread but they are all within $1000 of one another in price. I'd like some input on which direction I should go.

Here's a recap of the activities as I see at the moment. The tractor will be used for plowing in the winter (about 1000 feet of driveway), maintenance (gravel, levelling, filling holes, etc). I will also be putting in an orchard, various berries, a large garden and some corn (1/4 acre). Part of the property will be used to raise trees (2 to 4 acres). I'll be planting a lot of 6-8' trees as windbreak/privacy over the next few years as well. The loader will get used for gravel, turning compost piles, mulch, hauling duties some digging/leveling. There is about 5.5 acres of woods which I'll pull some firewood from. I also plan on putting in a large workshop and greenhouse. I expect to need the loader and pallet forks to take deliveries about 4-5 times a year at about 12-1400 lbs. There are 11 acres of pasture which I intend to mow regularly as most of it is in front of the house.

So far this is what I see. The 2540 has the tightest seating area, the least loader capability and the narrowest. The PTO engine speed is way up at 2650 rpm. Seems like I'm going to waste a lot of fuel mowing with it. I like the 2555 seating area however the seat is very low. It is like sitting in a chair that is too short. The weight adjuster didn't seem to raise it much. Anyone know if there is a way to increase the height? 55 hp is more than I need. I do appreciate the quiet smooth engine however. It is quieter than the other two. It also reaches PTO engine speed at 2300 which is an improvement. The 5545 has the lowest at 2058 rpm. The 5545 is truly a beast. It has a really good stable feel to it which I think would be good for the hilly parts and plowing. It has the best loader control of the three of them. I'm leaning towards the 2555 or 5545 because I'm getting more for my money with those two. The EGR thing with the 2555 concerns me. I haven't been able to find much on the 5545 good or bad. What do you think?

/ Time to decide #2  
I have not test drove any of the ones you are interested in. But I will say get what you feel most comfortable in.

/ Time to decide #3  
Get the biggest/baddest that you can afford...I've never liked diesels that had a PTO speed of more than about 2100rpm...My 6000 has never needed full pto to do anything..usually I'd run a 7 ft brush hog at about 1500rpm in 4th gear (8 speed shuttle) and never had a problem. By the way, my 6000 is a 4 cyl 195cu. inch normally aspirated. Good luck with your search. BobG in VA

PS: Get your rear tires loaded...makes all the difference in the world....have the dealer do it before he delivers...usually about $75 a tire.

/ Time to decide #4  
My local dealer sells Mahindra, Kubota, and New Holland. I just bought a Workmaster 50 from him in part due to no DPF and EGR valve. The 5545 is engineered the same. Excellent tractor that will give you many years of service. I would not be the least bit hesitant to go with that model in your situation. That tractor is heavier built than the 2555. My dealer really likes his Mahindra line. Very few issues once out in the field.

/ Time to decide #5  
I'm clearly biased towards the 2555. I'm not saying it's better than the other two, but it should be able to easily handle the tasks you outlined. I agree with you on the seat. It feels too low and the weight adjuster seems useless. I'm 6'2" and I do not like sitting with my waist below my knees. But that's a minor inconvenience that I can work around.

While I have not personally had any EGR problems, I understand your concerns and they're legitimate. But since Mahindra is aware of the issue, can't you buy a brand new machine built for you with the latest upgrades and revisions? There were no 2555 models in my area so the dealer ordered a new one for me. Maybe yours would also?

I ordered mine with R4 tires and I had the dealer load them with Rim Guard. Made a big difference in the way the tractor feels. Traction in snow can be a problem with R4s. I ended up buying chains for the rear tires, but that was later in the seasond and never got to put them on.

Personally, I don't think I would go with the 2538. Not for a 1,000 price difference.

When you decide which model you go with let us know!

Best of luck with your decision. Don't let it overwhelm you (like it did me).

/ Time to decide #6  
You can shim the seat on just about any tractor to raise it up. I raised mine 1" on my 5035. I have a 2555 HST Cab on order, and if it needs to be raised, so be it... I am a firm believer that you modify your vehicles to your needs if you want to. Both my Dodge Cummins and my Mahindra 5035 had some of their wiring ' modified ' right after I bought them... The 5035 seat slide lever magically was relocated to the back where I would not hit my leg on it, and the ' Cruise ' lever got some non-OEM bends in it so it would be more comfortable sitting sidesaddle to watch my snow blower. Stuff happens.... :)

/ Time to decide
Thanks everyone!

jeff9366: I will definitely get the R4s. I'm going to start unfilled and if I need it, fill later. Height isn't a problem. The barn door is about 15'. I like the bucket spade idea. There's a local business here that makes several different shapes for different kinds of digging. The Mahindra dealer is the closest of all the dealers at about 30 minutes drive.

Uncle Hulka: Thank you!!! I thought it was just my fat butt that had my knees above my waist. :) The 2555 is an in stock model. The 2540 is not and I think that is why it is up near the price of the other two.

JerryK: I'll look into shimming the seat. Good suggestion.

For those of you with heavy tractors, how hard are they on lawn/pasture? I hate to call it lawn because it is a far cry from the acre in suburbia **** that I'm leaving behind, but it isn't going to be wild field either that gets mowed twice a year. Should I worry about regular mowing with the 5545? Would the 2555 be much better? I understand the dry ground argument. I can tear up my yard with my little zero turn if I'm not careful even on a dry day. I was thinking more of ruts, wear marks and compaction that prevents the grass from growing.

/ Time to decide #8  
R4 tires are easier on soil than Ag tires (R2). The wide tire and cleats distribute the weight of the tractor over a greater surface area, so less impact. That being said, it's still a couple of tons of rolling mass. Traveling along the same path repeatedly will take its toll.

Last edited:
   / Time to decide #9  
I have a 5035 HST with R4 tires and weighs in north of 8000 pounds with the loader and hoe on it [ tires not loaded ]. It does not tear up the lawn much, so I would not worry about the weight of the 5545. I am from the school that bigger/heavier is better, but that is because I use my tractor for it heft and not hp. I had a JD2240 @about 5100 pounds [ just sold it so I would have room in my barn for my new 2555HST Cab ] that could do XYZ, and knew I would not be happy with a lighter tractor. But you are the one that has to make the final decision, remembering that there is no ' ideal ' tractor for all your activities. Just sit on a bunch, wiggle stuff, then go with your best choice. Try to enjoy the process, it's only money..... :)

/ Time to decide #10  
I mow with my Workmaster 50 and FEL. Rears are loaded so I am well north of 6300#. No issues with the R4's on the lawn. Weight and width means stability. I can go places I not dare with my 1720.