Couple of price checks..

/ Couple of price checks.. #1  

poolecw

I visited my local dealer today in Chattanooga. I'm in the market for a 4x4 with FEL and less than 40 HP. He quoted me a new 2538 shuttle for $21,000. He also quoted me a used 4038 shuttle with 200 hours for the same price. The used tractor looked new, had warranty left, and had rear remotes.

The salesguy also mentioned that he prefers shuttle over hst due to loss of pto power and that he sees more hst tractors in the shop.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

/ Couple of price checks.. #2  
I just purchased a new 2538. I was under the impression 2538 is hst only?

/ Couple of price checks.. #3  
2538 is HST only. The 2540 has a shuttle. I love the 2538 and its HST as I do a lot of loader work. Great mid size CUT. Have had no problems whatsoever.

I tried to look up a 4038 but cannot find it... If it's a 40XX it will be a beefier machine. 4035 maybe? Those look to be beasts. I needed to stay with a mid size unit for hauling and storage, but I think I would have been really happy with a 4035 as well. (Although HST would have been my preference for the work I do.)

If you enjoy the shuttle and it meets your needs, then that 40XX machine sounds like the ticket perhaps... Get on 'em both and run 'em around the yard if they will let you.

Good luck!

/ Couple of price checks..
Sorry, fast fingers and didn't proof read. You are right... 2538 is hst and the used tractor is a 4035...

/ Couple of price checks.. #5  
The salesguy also mentioned that he prefers shuttle over hst

he must have a higher margin on the shuttle machine.

/ Couple of price checks.. #6  
he must have a higher margin on the shuttle machine.

LOL! Real truth there.

Poolecw - what will your uses be? How much acreage and what type of work? e.g. 10 acre homestead and mostly cleared but with some tight woods work might push me to the 2538, but 30 acres of pasture and lots of plowing would be for the 4035 no doubt!

/ Couple of price checks.. #7  
I thought I wanted a shuttle,, until we purchased a HST,,,
These tractors have plenty of extra HP,,, on ours, there is no concern about HP loss due to HST.
We have a similar sized tractor in gear drive,, so we are making a direct comparison.

I think the HST power loss belief comes mostly from older garden tractor sized machines.
There was a major difference in GT's,,,

/ Couple of price checks..
I have 18 acres... 1/3 pasture and the rest is hardwood. First order for f business is to clean up and seed 2 acres that was recently cleared (Dozer). After that it will be used for gardening, brush cutting, and general maintenance work around the house.

With all of the in mind, do you think of can step down a notch in horsepower and still be OK?

/ Couple of price checks.. #9  
I have 18 acres... 1/3 pasture and the rest is hardwood.
With all of the in mind, do you think of can step down a notch in horsepower and still be OK?

6 open acres, minus 2 for a garden,,, ends up 4 acres.

4 acres is almost too small to turn around a 40 HP tractor.

/ Couple of price checks.. #10  
I visited my local dealer today in Chattanooga. I'm in the market for a 4x4 with FEL and less than 40 HP. He quoted me a new 2538 shuttle for $21,000. He also quoted me a used 4038 shuttle with 200 hours for the same price. The used tractor looked new, had warranty left, and had rear remotes.

The salesguy also mentioned that he prefers shuttle over hst due to loss of pto power and that he sees more hst tractors in the shop.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

If it has the side by side HST pedals, which I think the 2538 does, then give it a ride and see. I test drove one of those rocker pedal things and couldn't wait to get off of it finding the rocker very awkward and uncomfortable to drive. I ended up with a shuttle. I was also told by those who've been around tractors for a lot of years that HST can be problematic on slopes and such. Since I have a lot of sloping property that played into my decision too.
HST runs just about a grand more than an equivalent shuttle tractor. i.e. a 1538 HST vs a 1538 shuttle.
200 hrs isn't diddly squat so you might want to give the larger tractor a good look see as the extra remotes could come in handy. Mahindra prices those kinds of options dear. It would also save you doing the 100 hr filter and fluid changes. Just be sure that everything is up to date before you take it off the lot.
Shuttle vs HST depends on what you'll be doing and is largely a matter of personal preference so the best thing to do is drive both and see what you're more comfortalbe with.
The most important thing to do is to make sure you feel good about the dealer and that he'll support you and your machine well. Otherwise you won't end up a happy camper.