eMax25S - First impressions

/ eMax25S - First impressions #1  
Tractor
Mahindra
After 13 years with a Kubota BX series, I finally killed it. In all fairness I was very hard on the Kubota and the hydraulics were the ultimate weak link. The engine was still going strong but the rest of the machine was in sad shape. So rather than spend more than it was worth, it was replaced.

I looked at a lot of new and used tractors and the Mahindra was the winner. I REALLY wanted a shuttle shift but just couldn't justify the cost for my needs and ended up with an eMax25S with a 60" belly mower.

We're still getting to know each other but so far I'm impressed with the Mahindra.

Did have one significant problem with a hydraulic leak during the first hour of operation but the dealer made it right and it has worked fine since. The tractor was delivered from the distribution center directly to my property, so it didn't stop at the dealer for an inspection. I doubt the dealer will ever do that again. Even new equipment needs a close inspection before being delivered to a buyer.

A few points and observations:

The mower appears to be stoutly constructed but it isn't nearly as refined as the Kubota mower it replaced. It cuts OK but if you're looking for a finish mower (and I wasn't) it leaves a bit to be desired. The spindles are sealed and the jury is still out on that. It is a drive-over design which makes installation/removal a bit easier.

I couldn't get Ag tires with the set up I wanted and had to settle for R4 industrial tires. The manual says they're available but the dealer said they were not.

The layout of the components is, in my opinion, much better than the Kubota it replaced. The battery and fuel filter are easily accessible. The front radiator design is far better in terms of access. Most of the items likely to be serviced such as the alternator, muffler, fan belt, etc., are accessible. The one complaint is the engine oil dipstick. You have to remove the side cover just to check the oil ! That really needs to be addressed.

After using a HST tractor with a rocker pedal for years, the twin pedal set up is a bit different but I'm adjusting. I'm not thrilled about the brake pedal on the left but I guess that's the price for the twin pedals on the right. My brain is not adjusting to that very quickly.

Don't know why we need high/low headlights, turn signals and a horn on a tractor, but OK. The headlights are impressive!

The location of the fuel tank and filler neck are a very big negative. The fuel filler neck requires a funnel when filling from a can and the location of the filler neck is not ideal. A larger filler neck, with a tethered cap would be my choice and it should be located on the side of the tractor as opposed to the top of the hood. It's a poor layout.

The owner's manual is sort of written in English but it is amusing.

The engine is strong, the HST wasn't my first choice but it works well - Overall it seems to be a good machine.

/ eMax25S - First impressions #3  
Pictures, or it didn't happen. :tractor:

I looked at the eMax25 HST Cab, but it didn't offer the option of heat/AC. Seemed like a capable little tractor, though.

/ eMax25S - First impressions #4  
So Petrol and Powder,

You have an eMax25S correct? Does it have steel fenders and a steel hood, or is does it have the plastic like fenders and hood? My dad had an eMax 25 HST in bought in 2014. He liked it, but traded it in on a Max 26 XL (we had a couple of issues with his eMax). I liked the control layout of the eMax tractors. I miss having the horn though. You never know when you might be working and you might need to blow the horn to make a pet or some person know that you are there. People don't pay attention sometimes. :) I like having headlights with two settings; having the bright setting could be helpful when working till dark. The turn signals can be useful. The past two winters my dad had used his eMax to shovel/clear snow for us and other neighbors around the neighborhood and down the street. He even drove through town once, and cleared our church parking lot after one big snow. We live in town, so having the turn signals and all helps drivers know you are there and what your next move is.

Enjoy your new tractor.

/ eMax25S - First impressions
Yes it has the steel hood and fenders. It was my understanding that was a mid-model upgrade. The unit I looked at had a plastic hood but the unit delivered had the steel parts.

/ eMax25S - First impressions #6  
After 13 years with a Kubota BX series, I finally killed it. In all fairness I was very hard on the Kubota and the hydraulics were the ultimate weak link. The engine was still going strong but the rest of the machine was in sad shape. So rather than spend more than it was worth, it was replaced.

I looked at a lot of new and used tractors and the Mahindra was the winner. I REALLY wanted a shuttle shift but just couldn't justify the cost for my needs and ended up with an eMax25S with a 60" belly mower.

We're still getting to know each other but so far I'm impressed with the Mahindra.

Did have one significant problem with a hydraulic leak during the first hour of operation but the dealer made it right and it has worked fine since. The tractor was delivered from the distribution center directly to my property, so it didn't stop at the dealer for an inspection. I doubt the dealer will ever do that again. Even new equipment needs a close inspection before being delivered to a buyer.

A few points and observations:

The mower appears to be stoutly constructed but it isn't nearly as refined as the Kubota mower it replaced. It cuts OK but if you're looking for a finish mower (and I wasn't) it leaves a bit to be desired. The spindles are sealed and the jury is still out on that. It is a drive-over design which makes installation/removal a bit easier.

I couldn't get Ag tires with the set up I wanted and had to settle for R4 industrial tires. The manual says they're available but the dealer said they were not.

The layout of the components is, in my opinion, much better than the Kubota it replaced. The battery and fuel filter are easily accessible. The front radiator design is far better in terms of access. Most of the items likely to be serviced such as the alternator, muffler, fan belt, etc., are accessible. The one complaint is the engine oil dipstick. You have to remove the side cover just to check the oil ! That really needs to be addressed.

After using a HST tractor with a rocker pedal for years, the twin pedal set up is a bit different but I'm adjusting. I'm not thrilled about the brake pedal on the left but I guess that's the price for the twin pedals on the right. My brain is not adjusting to that very quickly.

Don't know why we need high/low headlights, turn signals and a horn on a tractor, but OK. The headlights are impressive!

The location of the fuel tank and filler neck are a very big negative. The fuel filler neck requires a funnel when filling from a can and the location of the filler neck is not ideal. A larger filler neck, with a tethered cap would be my choice and it should be located on the side of the tractor as opposed to the top of the hood. It's a poor layout.

The owner's manual is sort of written in English but it is amusing.

The engine is strong, the HST wasn't my first choice but it works well - Overall it seems to be a good machine.

My fuel fill is on top of the hood too, a lot higher than yours even, but I don't use a funnel, I use a long spout that I got at TSC. It makes unusable EPA plastic can useable. I just stick the end of the long extension spout into the fuel fill then tip the can over. I set the can up on the FEL fork so I don't have to hold all the weight while I'm filling. At least not until the can is almost empty.
EZ-Pour Hi-Flo Replacement Spout - For Life Out Here
You can buy them online from many sources too.

I think the Max is a Mitsu machine so the manual is written in Japlish which is a dialect of pidgin English. LOL
Mahinda does need to have all of the manuals gone over and redone by someone that speaks English as a first language, at least those intended for distribution in this country. Hopefully someone that learned English in an earlier time as I often wonder whether or not recent products of our school system can speak and write English effectively.

/ eMax25S - First impressions #7  
The Max is a Mitsu from Japan. The eMAx is a Korean (TYM?)machine.

/ eMax25S - First impressions #8  
The Max is a Mitsu from Japan. The eMAx is a Korean (TYM?)machine.

Good to know. I thought I said Max but I guess the thread is about the eMax so make it Hangulish, another dialect of pidgin English. There are many.

The English say we speak pidgin but since there are a lot more of us, over 64% of the world's English speakers while they're a piddling little 16%-17%, American English rules. LOL

/ eMax25S - First impressions #9  
Yes it has the steel hood and fenders. It was my understanding that was a mid-model upgrade. The unit I looked at had a plastic hood but the unit delivered had the steel parts.

Cool that was one thing that I did not care for on my dad's eMax. I would have preferred to have the steel fenders and hood which was not offered in 2014. Carry on sir. :)