2555 vs 3550

/ 2555 vs 3550 #1  

willysmb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1736
I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the 2555 vs the 3550 in general. Prices look to be similar and it looks like the 2555 has the 3550 by 5 HP and that is about it.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #2  
The 2555 is a TYM built tractor with a 55 hp turbo Mahindra engine, the 3550 is a Mahindra built tractor and 50 hp engine. The weight is quite a bit more and tire size is larger on the 3550, with it being more of a utility size tractor vs the 2555 which is more of a compact utility... or something like that. You can get a mid-PTO on the 2555, the 3550 has both position and draft control on the 3PT. I have both. A 5035 [ old version of the 3550 ], and a new 2555. The cab on the 3550 is a little nicer than the 2555. Both are nice tractors...

/ 2555 vs 3550 #3  
Choosing one over the other would really be dependent upon what your tractor/implement needs are. They're both good tractors, but the 3550 is more substantial despite giving up horsepower to the 2555. Comparing the Mitsubishi-built tractors to the Mahindra-built models is like comparing an Oldsmobile to a Chevrolet (sorry, but I'm a 60's musclecar guy). The Olds had more standard features, but generally cost more than the Chevy. True today as then, if you want the nicer model and money is not an issue, go for the one that can do everything you need it to.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #4  
For my needs I would prefer the 3550 being a step-up in frame size, weight, and I think I'd like the Mahindra built chassis. Nothing against the TYM built machine as they seem to be well built and certainly durable enough.

/ 2555 vs 3550
Choosing one over the other would really be dependent upon what your tractor/implement needs are. They're both good tractors, but the 3550 is more substantial despite giving up horsepower to the 2555. Comparing the Mitsubishi-built tractors to the Mahindra-built models is like comparing an Oldsmobile to a Chevrolet (sorry, but I'm a 60's musclecar guy). The Olds had more standard features, but generally cost more than the Chevy. True today as then, if you want the nicer model and money is not an issue, go for the one that can do everything you need it to.

So your saying the mistubishi is a better motor?

/ 2555 vs 3550 #6  
No, I'm not saying that at all. There are a lot of factors to consider when selecting a tractor other than HP. Yes, that determines a great many of a given tractors capabilities, but that's not the sole determining factor. For me, my primary need for a tractor dictated approximately 45 PTO HP and an HST transmission. Knowing those two requirements made my choice in the Mahindra lineup pretty simple; the 2555. It's the highest HP tractor that Mahindra offers with HST. Now, that's my need. Someone else will likely have a completely different set of needs, so for them, a totally different tractor is in order.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #7  
It all depends on what you want to do with it. I looked at the 3500 series as well and ended up with a 2555. At the time the 3550 was more expensive. It has more features that I really didn't need. I didn't like it as much. It just came down to little things. It may be unimportant for you but it is wider than 6 feet. For me that meant not being able to cover your own tracks with a 6 foot implement. I believe the engine on the 2555 is quieter. Also the 2555 reaches peak HP at 2300 RPM while the 3550 hits it at 2800 RPM. Maybe it shouldn't but that annoyed me. Its supposed to be a diesel tractor not a gasoline powered car. Diesels should run slow. I know, its just me. :) I don't think you can go wrong with either.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #8  
To me the 2555 is a lot like a 45 HP compact with a 55 HP engine. Short wheelbase makes for tight turning and it is lighter than the 3550. On paper, it does everything the 3550 does. In reality, you need to ballast the 2555 substantially if you want to use the loader capacity. Partly due to weight, but also due to the fact that the front axle is set back a ways. Again, that gives great maneuverability but it also changes the fulcrum point. So if you need a high HP compact, for mowing and other PTO uses and you don't need the beastly weight of the 3550, then it is hard to find a tractor that specs much better than the 2555. But if you plan to use that loader to its full capability daily and if you plan heavy hauling or ground engaging activities, the 3550 is the more robust package. That being said, we sell more 2555 than 3550. It's a lot of tractor for the money. If you think about it as a mid-size 40-45 HP compact that has a ton of reserve HP, then it's nothing but good! By all means, fill the rear tires though.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #9  
I can second Dave's assessment. I have found the 2555 very maneuverable working in tight spaces around the barn and paddocks. Ballasting is very important. I didn't want to but I did get the tires loaded. I still prefer to have an implement on the back when moving dirt around. I looked at the 3500, 4500 and 5500 series. I came to the conclusion I really didn't need the size. I mow about 9 acres of pasture every couple of weeks. I do cross the lawn often enough. I also use mine for digging, trenching, tilling, fencing, driveway maintenance, snow removal (not yet thankfully) and other odd projects. The 2555 was big enough with powerful enough loader, and has an HST. If I were plowing fields or moving round bails I would have gone with a heavier tractor.

/ 2555 vs 3550 #10  
I have the 3550, it works well for what I need to do. I have checked out the 2555 at the dealer - but never seriously considered it. I use mine primarily for loader work - and I wanted the extra weight and strength the 3550 provided. Even with a 2k pound counterweight, it can get up on 3 wheels sometimes when using the loader to its full capability. I never wish that I had a lighter machine with thinner axles. I also never wish I had smaller front tires.

I use it a bit to run a bushhog and other implements - it will run a 6' mower with high lift blades through knee high grass, uphill, as fast as you can drive in medium range. Sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more HP, especially when moving around in high range, but most of the time the engine is more than sufficient.

I have a heavy truck and trailer setup, so moving it isn't a problem for me, but if that is a consideration for you, the 2555 will be easier to tow.

My tractor is far more maneuverable than my truck - I haven't typically had issues with maneuverability due to the tractor itself. It seems to be limited more by what I have hooked to the back - the mower or chipper reduce maneuverability significantly in tight quarters. The 2555 might be a bit more maneuverable without anything hooked, but I'd think it would be very similar if you have a large attachment connected.

What do you plan on doing with the tractor?