Mahindra 5570

/ Mahindra 5570 #1  

colthpowell

Tractor
Mahindra 3505-DI
In the market to buy new tractor. I used to not be a Mahindra fan. Didn't really know anyone that had one but I bought a used 02 3505-di. It has been a great machine and has really impressed me. I am looking to stay with Mahindra but need to upgrade seriously and the 5570 4x4 with fel seems to fit my needs. Just would like to get some input or more reviews from owners of the model or the 55 series in general. I can't find much on them. The tier IV scares me with it not being out long. I have a 120 acres at home and may use it at deer camp as well. Any info, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

/ Mahindra 5570 #3  
Tier 4 technology has been around for several years. DPFs are basically a non-issue: yes, Mahindra doesn't have them. They're warrantied for 3,000 hrs: they can then be cleaned, giving a possible lifespan of 11,000 hours- good luck racking that many hours up on a personal-use tractor;)

/ Mahindra 5570
I know Mahindra is not using the dpf & def but it still has something to make it tier IV compatible. I really just want to make sure I'm investing in a work horse.. With that, should I look for a low hour 6530 or go with the new 5570? With Mahindra 0 down, 0% at 84 months it's not much difference in cost per month. It will add a couple years to the total though. That's fine too because I plan on it being a life long investment and don't mind the extra cost if it's worth it.
Thanks again.
Colt

/ Mahindra 5570 #5  
Mahindra and New Holland in the Workmaster 50/60/70 series utilizes an EGR valve and a catalytic converter.
Noting magical about the system at all.
Look at access to the radiator and battery.
I would personally buy new.

/ Mahindra 5570 #6  
Magic has nothing to do with this discussion of emissions. It's all science. When catalytic converters came out people were calling them an voodoo apparatus as well. Systems not using DEF and or DPF will be dealing with soot somehow, and in the case with EGR+CAT solutions that's done by way of pushing more exhaust/soot into the engine and into the CAT (CATs are what will, eventually, like DPFs, get clogged up and needing replacement). I'm NOT arguing for one over the other as I don't believe that there is really any "best" system (look at what the manufacturers of the most expensive equipment use- I know that in the automotive world you're looking at Benz, and Benz uses DPF and DEF); as an owner of VW TDIs (older ones) I followed the VW diesel fiasco in which VW skirted DPFs (and DEF) and ultimately got caught: is this going on with tractor manufacturers? maybe, maybe not; I doubt that they'll get scrutinized like VW was, not unless they're a top manufacturer and competitors are looking to slap them down.

OP, identify what capacities you need (loader lift; weight if you're you're going to be pulling dirt contact implements). How much time do you expect to be using this tractor? Think about ergonomics: shelling out a lot for a tractor I'd want to have it feel like it's worth the money I paid for it.

Buying used can have benefits other than a lower purchase price. Most manufacturing problems/issues will likely have been worked out. And, initial maintenance costs (early fluid changes etc.) will have already been dealt with.

Unless a tractor has been totally abused (and even then!), it's likely able to rack up thousands of hours. How many hours do you expect to put on it? (my B7800 was purchased with 748 hrs on it and I've now put on an additional 750+hrs and it still is a reliable, mighty little workhorse).

Buy what makes sense to you. Work your numbers. In the end, however, most here aren't going to have true payback (unless you're running a business and have the equipment on a depreciation schedule).

/ Mahindra 5570
I am running a small scale horse boarding Buisness and plan to work in cows as well in the future. And an event barn. I don't plan on doing hay because of acreage of pasture land. I've got 120 acres which is around 35 acres divided pasture/60 acres hard wood creek bottom/25 acres of 10-15 year old pine. I also work for the rail road so it's hard to find time to get work done here much less finding hay fields to lease. Really just cleaning the property up. All 3 pastures have spots of grown up timber I will be clearing as well as clearing some areas of hard wood and timber. I will eventually fence off the entire property. I have around 1/3 done now. With the tractor I'll purchase a grapple, 8' bush hog, 8' disc & 8' box blade. All bush hog brand so will take opinions as well. Keeping fields bush hogged (which the horses keep that up pretty well especially with the drought we've been in). Have several drive ways to keep up. And buying 20 more acres that is all hard wood I have to clear a new drive way to the center and clear out about 1-2 acres for a house pad

/ Mahindra 5570 #8  
I'd rank each of those sets of work based on priorities.

How much discing do you think you will be doing?

How much box-blading?

These two are ground-engaging, and ground-engaging work tends to favor higher-powered and heavier machines. Mahindras would certainly be more favorable: I wouldn't, however, look past MF (always king of the heavyweights)!

For infrequent work one can always look to rent equipment. OR, tackle given work with one tractor and then as time progresses sell that tractor and get something different: never place yourself in a corner about never looking to buy another tractor, as that may limit you on doing what you really want to do.

If you're not doing crop work then I don't think that discing is really necessary (and even then). My notion of land management is embodied in what Will Harris (and others similar to him) do:

One Hundred Thousand Beating Hearts on Vimeo

Are you figuring on a cabbed tractor?

/ Mahindra 5570 #9  
   / Mahindra 5570 #10  
Mahindra is not, has not been the ONLY one doing this. Massey, Branson and others have used this same setup from the beginning. There is nothing wrong with DPF's.

Let's be "fair" here. There is nothing WORSE or BETTER about DPF than other Tier 4 non-DPF systems (or vice versa). ALL "solutions" have added complications.

The BIG boys do use DPF: whether the "SMALL" boys do it correctly is, I suppose, yet to be determined. CAT and JD use DPF. One or both (and depending on the machinery) also use DEF: DEF, as is EGR, is for NOX control; DPF is for soot control; non DPF systems use more aggressive EGR. And the trucking industry uses DPF. This is a lot of weight that can be brought to bear on making sure that technologies perform!

I almost paid top dollar for a used Kubota MX5100 because it didn't have DPF. While agonizing over the decision I continued to read more on the Tier IV stuff and came to the conclusion that it wasn't enough of a significant issue to displace other requirements: I'd been operating more on an emotional basis. If it comes down to not feeling good about something then, yes, don't force it!