35 series -How easy to service?

/ 35 series -How easy to service? #1  

NT5224

Tractor
Mahindra 5035
Hi folks

I'm an Australian very close to putting money down on a new 5035. I've read everything I can find on the 35 series on this and other forums as well as manufacturers and dealers information and after a long tractor search it seems like the 5035 might be the machine for me. I have had a very competitive quote on a 5035 with Loader and Backhoe so am ready to go...

But one thing I haven't had much insight into is how easy it is to service 35 series tractors and how this compares with other brands. I live a long way from anywhere and so will have to do all my own servicing from the outset, without dealer support. This is my first tractor so expect a steep learning curve.

Is everything under the cowling accessible, oil and fuel filters, battery and drain plugs etc...? Do they switch easy or can i expect to skin my knuckles? I read somewhere that the cowling on one Mahindra model pivoted up forwards, making it hard to reach the battery and radiator...

What about Grease nipples on Loader and Backhoe as well as all the bolts that need tightening... Are they easy to find? Finally do 35 series owners get a clear set of instructions for servicing as well as clear specs for replacement consumables?

So i'm just looking for confirmation that the Mahindra will not be not too diffcult to routinely service for a rookie tractor owner. Any tips on what to expect or look out for would be most welcomed. Finally, since the pre-delivery inspection will be conducted 2000 miles from where I live, any suggestions for any special request checks to be conducted by the dealer before shipping the tractor?

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Alan

/ 35 series -How easy to service? #2  
I can't speak to that specific model but I can make a few general comments. Most of the tractors have a hood that hinges back from the firewall. It probably has a lift cylinder that can be removed with a little clip. Once removed the hood should go all the way back and sit on the steering wheel. It may have some low side panels- my 1538 has these and they come off with one knob that is turned by hand- very easy. With the sheet metal out of the way the only other issue is the loader. If the loader is all the way up it should be out of the way. For a major service I assume you would want to take the loader off.

My Mahindra is on par with other tractors I have worked on. The manual and service manual they sell end users is lacking. Beyond that the filters and fluid level checks are located in locations that are accessible.

This video shows the hood.....they even talk funny so you should feel right at home! Haha
New Mahindra 4035 & 5035 PowerShuttle Tractors - YouTube

Edit: my zerk fittings are all accessible. The top loader zerks should have been angled but that is an easy fix.

/ 35 series -How easy to service? #3  
Is everything under the cowling accessible, oil and fuel filters, battery and drain plugs etc...? Do they switch easy or can i expect to skin my knuckles? I read somewhere that the cowling on one Mahindra model pivoted up forwards, making it hard to reach the battery and radiator...

What about Grease nipples on Loader and Backhoe as well as all the bolts that need tightening... Are they easy to find? Finally do 35 series owners get a clear set of instructions for servicing as well as clear specs for replacement consumables?

I've been happy with how easy everything has been to access, reach, change, etc. You can easily get to all the filters and the battery and radiator are completely exposed. Yes, the hood does lift up from the front and can lift upwards more if you remove the lift cylinder.

As long as you look at the "map" of the grease fitting locations, you'll get them all. None of them are hidden, or difficult. Get a Lock N Lube, it'll save you allot of aggravation.

I think the only issue with Mahindra is their Owners and Service Manuals. You have to purchase the manuals, there is no free information on the manufacturers site, and, honestly, the manuals leave a little to be desired. That being said, I've found that the TractorByNet.com site to be my most valuable resource for maintaining my tractor. Between reading past threads and asking questions, I've been able to figure out everything I've needed to know.

/ 35 series -How easy to service? #4  
Is this model 5035 a leftover new tractor? I don't see it on Mahindra's website anymore? Probably almost the same tractor as the new 3550s? I have no experience with these Mahindra tractors so I'm learning. I'm getting ready to buy a new 3550HST.

/ 35 series -How easy to service?
Gasifier

I'm in Australia. I guess we still have stocks of the older models over here. Personally I'm very glad to be getting one of the last of the older, more simple engines. The CRDs which are now becoming prevalent among diesels are complex with lots of electricals and require computer diagnostics.

They're good, economic and very reliable. But if they do break, they're not the kind of thing you can fix with a just a wrench and a rag.

Good luck with the 3550. It looks great.

Cheers

Alan

/ 35 series -How easy to service? #6  
Good luck with your tractor as well Allan. And keep us updated. With pictures of course!