MAX 26 or 1526

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #1  

Goreef

Tractor
mahindra 6530 4x4 2013 .Bought at J5. Great dealer,i would highly recommend
Trying to figure out whats the best bang for the buck between these 2 and what is a fair price for both. I got a price on a Kubota L2501 4 wheel drive with loader and gear drive for $15,300 and i want to stay with Mahindra but i dont know if they can compete with this price. Any help would be appreciated

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #2  
I have the 15xx series and looked multiple times at the L series Kubota. My purchase was made in the last 6 months with research for the last 10-12 months. The 15xx series is considered the "premium" line for Mahindra. The tilt wheel, speed control, loader control location are just a few examples. The L series, by comparison, is a very basic model with few frills. No tilt wheel, mid PTO, bucket level indicator, speed control, etc. The L series doesn't even come with SSQA or adjustable sway control links on the 3 pt. I wanted to like the Kubota so bad but the L series is lacking. To me all their R&D has gone to other lines and products and the current L series is overdue. Also look the machines' specs like weight and lifting capacity. note the Kubota needs spacers in the rear if you want to run chains.
With regards to cost. My 1538 was $18,000 and change. I know the 1533 was at least $1000 less than that so I'm assuming the 1526 is right in line with the quote above- if not $1000 under that since the EPA stuff adds $2500 ish to the cost.
To me it came down to paying more for less features and specs so I had the Kubota name or going Mahindra. I went Mahindra since this size uses the proven Mitsubishi chassis and drivetrain and offered a better warranty. Plus, in my size, the EPA requirements were better planned and executed on the Mahindra.
The Max line is similar to the B series Kubota so I only briefly looked at those. I have heard good things about the Max and several owners are on this site. I'm sure one will weigh in with regards to that model. From what I saw the B series Kubota (recent upgrades) and Max series are far closer with regards to features- that would have been a tougher choice. But L to 15xx isn't close until Kubota does an upgrade to that line.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

/ MAX 26 or 1526
Thanks so much for the info Those are the exact details that im looking for to help with my decision.

/ MAX 26 or 1526
I was looking at the specs on the 1526 shuttle shift and it says the pto is independent It looks like it works by an electrical switch. Does anyone know exactly how this works?

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #5  
Happy to help. The PTO on the HST is mechanical so I don't know on that model. Plus I don't use the PTO so I didn't research that much.

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #6  
I was looking at the specs on the 1526 shuttle shift and it says the pto is independent It looks like it works by an electrical switch. Does anyone know exactly how this works?

The PTO on my shuttle shift has the switch and the PTO lever on the left. Engage the clutch, switch the switch and engage the lever then rev up to PTO RPMs.

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #7  
Trying to figure out whats the best bang for the buck between these 2 and what is a fair price for both.

The 1526 and the Max are two pretty different machines, in size, longer, wider, heavier and capability. The best bang for the buck depends on your needs. If your needs include mowing lawns, the 1526 is overkill. If your needs are fel intensive, or heavy ground scratching and/or are on uneven ground, the 1526 will be better suited. The 3 speed gears in the 1526 are a must in my opinion.

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #8  
I'm the type that typically goes for the overkill model when buying stuff simply because you never know what you might get into and don't want to someday regret going with the smaller option. 99% of those decisions have ended up being the best choice with no regrets. For me the Max 26 XL won hands down over the smaller models. However, I was torn between the Max 26 and the 1526 too considering the minimal cost difference compared to machine size, but I stayed with the Max 26. If it was going to be more of a dedicated workhorse for excavation, small crop work, logging, brushhogging, etc I would have gone with the 1526. But it wasn't and I wanted it for mowing my yard and a few other yards also and the 1526 is simply too big for that. I have the FEL, BH, 60" MMM, grader blade for my Max and all have done well with any project I've had so far. The dealer told me that the mower is not as easily taken on and off to switch between jobs either. I forget if it was the loader or backhoe mounts that interfered with the mower mounts, so the mounting system for one had to be removed to put the mower on. That was a huge turning point for my decision also. Any or all of the attachments can be on together or easily switched out in a matter of minutes on the Max 26. So I bought it, as I've said being the largest of Mahindra's smaller tractor lineup so I wouldn't have any regrets over the smaller models. Besides, I still have an old Farmall M to use for things beyond the capabilities of the Max, but I haven't needed to do that yet. :thumbsup:

/ MAX 26 or 1526 #9  
2 speed Hydro is a downer on the Max. I think that is done on purpose, so their is less overlap between models and for cost.

The 8x8 shuttle is slick for a gear transmission, but still a pain if your are working close quarters and not a "gear' guy.

Last edited:
   / MAX 26 or 1526 #10  
I contemplated between the Max26 and the 1526 last year. I bought my 1526 HST on a red flag deal with FEL and MMM. The 1526 is wider and longer, but way more beefier and more stable on its feet compared to the Max 26. The frame, loader frame, axles etc. Are overkill compared to some others brands and it only having 26HP. On top of it, it was like only 1500$ more than the Max 26 in my case. So for 1500$ more I've got much more tractor. That being said, I had to wait for mine almost 6 months to get it. Looking back the wait and the money spent was worth it too me and still is. Had the usual hydraulic leak underneath that almost everyone has, other than that zero problems.