What's the value of buying from a closer dealer?

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #11  
Dealer B isn't "including a free set" of anything. He's charging you $390 for a set of forks.

Agree but Dealer B has now put himself in the position of needing to match Dealer A and include the "free" set of forks. BTW, a set of SSQA forks goes for about $500 retail so $390 is probably about the dealer cost.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #12  
Agree but Dealer B has now put himself in the position of needing to match Dealer A and include the "free" set of forks. BTW, a set of SSQA forks goes for about $500 retail so $390 is probably about the dealer cost.

Dealer B will match dealer A with no debate. Remember Dealer A isn't offering forks. Dealer B will gladly keep his forks and match the lower price. No reason not to.

Unless there's something hidden here, looks like a no-brainer. If you want the forks ask Dealer A and I'm sure he'll gladly give you the same deal as Dealer B. :)

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #13  
As been established, the price difference is nil.

So it really comes down to if you want a deal 15 min away, or the same deal 1.5 hrs away.

So, is there significant difference in dealer quality and how they make you feel?

No matter where you buy, they will BOTH be obligated to preform warranty work. The difference between getting warranty work done where you bought it, vs another dealer is how they treat you regarding that warranty work. IF you go to the dealer you bought from, sometimes they include some free things like transportation, or they will get you in and out quick. IF taking a tractor in for warranty at a dealer you stubbed your nose at and bought elsewhere....it usually goes to the back of the line. And they dont have any reason to hurry.

They will also both gladly service the machine. But general attitude may be the same as above.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #14  
I would go with the dealer that has the best reputation for good service. If they are about equal, I would definitely go with the closest one. The forks would be a non-issue. Others have already pointed out they are not "free".

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #15  
Hopefully the OP will provide a status........

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #16  
Other question you should think about there service department.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer?
Hopefully the OP will provide a status........

Thanks for the input everyone, I've enjoyed reading your responses. I have sent a message to dealer B to see if he is willing to match dealer A's price and still throw in the forks at dealer A's price without the forks. If he does, then I'll mention that to dealer A and see if they can do any better. Rather than try and guess whether dealer A is going to have hard feelings about me buying the tractor from dealer B and running service through dealer A, I'll just ask dealer A and factor in that answer.

I once paid extra to buy a riding mower from a local shop (not dealer A) thinking I'd be better off when it came to service and such, but it didn't work out that way. In a subsequent summer I spent two months without the mower while they addressed at the band-aid level, but did not fix, an issue that was covered under warranty. Later on another issue was covered under warranty but when it was time to pick up the machine they tried to charge me for it. Times that I brought in the machine they usually assumed it came from the big box store. That place is a bad shop, and it's not fair to dealer A for me to project that bad experience onto them, but from that I learned that the level of service after the sale might have more to do with the quality of the shop than the place I purchase from.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #18  
Thanks for the input everyone, I've enjoyed reading your responses. I have sent a message to dealer B to see if he is willing to match dealer A's price and still throw in the forks at dealer A's price without the forks. If he does, then I'll mention that to dealer A and see if they can do any better. Rather than try and guess whether dealer A is going to have hard feelings about me buying the tractor from dealer B and running service through dealer A, I'll just ask dealer A and factor in that answer.

I once paid extra to buy a riding mower from a local shop (not dealer A) thinking I'd be better off when it came to service and such, but it didn't work out that way. In a subsequent summer I spent two months without the mower while they addressed at the band-aid level, but did not fix, an issue that was covered under warranty. Later on another issue was covered under warranty but when it was time to pick up the machine they tried to charge me for it. Times that I brought in the machine they usually assumed it came from the big box store. That place is a bad shop, and it's not fair to dealer A for me to project that bad experience onto them, but from that I learned that the level of service after the sale might have more to do with the quality of the shop than the place I purchase from.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #19  
I'd forget talking to dealer b. If you want to buy from the close dealer, deal there first. Consider something like $19k and throw in a set of forks. See if they bite.

/ What's the value of buying from a closer dealer? #20  

It seems you've learned that it really has nothing to do with proximity or price, rather what kind of people the dealers are. That's pretty much all you need to know and that should steer you to the right dealer.