Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell?

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Last edited:
   / Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #2  
I have never owned an ATV/UTV. Years ago I understood the attraction to them for recreation and I could understand how a land management/landscaping business could justify owning them.

But now that the price of many of these vehicle has risen way above $5000 I just don't understand how people can justify the expense unless you have a business that can depreciate the cost. Even then work output/task completion would have to surpass the value of the machine.

I needed a 4WD vehicle for my property and looked at several brands of UTV. After leaving each dealer I always came away with the feeling that these vehicles were overpriced and lacking in thoughtful design and quality of manufacture.

After many hours of contemplation I decided to buy a 1988 Isuzu Trooper for $1500 (and I thought I paid too much at this price!). I realize each person has their own criteria and specific needs for a UTV but it amazes me that the UTV market commands such high prices.

Please tell me why so many others don't bat an eye at paying from $8000 - $16000 for UTVs? I simply don't understand it.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #3  
Great idea, and Jeep said years ago they would put a diesel in the Wrangler, but never did! Just the short lived Liberty.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #4  
About time we see a new true jeep vehicle....!!! I'm looking forward too seeing what the Roxor can do!

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell?
I have never owned an ATV/UTV. Years ago I understood the attraction to them for recreation and I could understand how a land management/landscaping business could justify owning them.

But now that the price of many of these vehicle has risen way above $5000 I just don't understand how people can justify the expense unless you have a business that can depreciate the cost. Even then work output/task completion would have to surpass the value of the machine.

I needed a 4WD vehicle for my property and looked at several brands of UTV. After leaving each dealer I always came away with the feeling that these vehicles were overpriced and lacking in thoughtful design and quality of manufacture.

After many hours of contemplation I decided to buy a 1988 Isuzu Trooper for $1500 (and I thought I paid too much at this price!). I realize each person has their own criteria and specific needs for a UTV but it amazes me that the UTV market commands such high prices.

Please tell me why so many others don't bat an eye at paying from $8000 - $16000 for UTVs? I simply don't understand it.

Our dependable and rugged 2006 RTV900 has 2,200 hours of daily and sometimes very hard use. It is close to capacity to a 1/2 ton truck, (but A LOT slower.) We paid close to $7,000 for it with 500 hard hours on it. At the time it rally hurt.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #6  
With a top speed of 45, it isn't for the pavement and they will have to learn how to do customer support before they will get very far in the US auto market.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #7  
AW, there is no tool or vehicle on my place that gets more use than my UTV. It gets year around use, whereas the tractors are rarely used during the winter. A full sized vehicle would not work on my property.j

I do agree though, it was painful to write the check back in 2008.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #8  
My RTV 900 get more use than any of my on road vehicles. I could never walk all the places that my RTV carries me. With over 650 hours on it since 2010, it does daily travels whereas my cars might set for a week without use and tractors rarely get cranked from fall till spring. I have hauled tons of rocks with it and the hydraulic dump bed is worth much more than it costs. Sure, I agree the cost for these things have gone out of sight. When I bought my 2009 Used in 2010 with 60 hours on it, new was selling for $12K and I got a bargain on it for $8K.

If you have more than a city sized lot, a UTV is worth the cost, maybe look at a slightly used one for much less than new. Once you get one, you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

/ Mahindra "Jeep" I think it could sell? #9  
Think I'll stick with my CJ-5, it's paid for. PICT0130.JPG