Buying Advice How to negotiate

/ How to negotiate #31  
How much less you offer, if any, depends on how the dealer prices his tractors to start with. If the dealer is at MSRP, then for sure he has plenty of room. But as for us at our dealership, years ago we quit the MSRP game. We know what we pay for our tractors, plus freight, plus PDI, plus margin to keep the doors open, plus a little for "free delivery in the local area" and we have our price. The goal for you I think is to get the tractor at a fair price, to not over pay. It is not how much you saved off their asking price, instead it is what you actually paid.

Some thoughts from a dealer's perspective. We can't compete with "no sales tax", and legally in most states you owe the tax even though the out of state dealer had no obligation to charge you for it. In California, if you buy out of state, you clearly owe the tax still. I hate taxes, and I pay more taxes than most people. But just know that there is a difference in avoiding taxes and evading taxes. Avoiding is awesome, evading - not so much.

There is value buying local. You support your local businesses and they support you. I just bought my wife a new pickup. I priced it at the out of state volume dealers, then went to my local dealer. I told him the price I had found and asked him to come as close as he could to that price, but to stay at a price for which he was still happy he sold to me. I think he was $800 higher on a $50k truck and I was more than happy to stay local...and I did.

I like this reply. I always try to buy, or sell, anything at a 'fair' price. And a fair price is much easier to determine these days with the internet.

/ How to negotiate #32  
Plus one for Dave's post. When price is close the difference is dealer service and reputation for me.

/ How to negotiate #33  
Plus one for Dave's post. When price is close the difference is dealer service and reputation for me.

I say price doesn't even have to be that close. Basically the warranty is only as good as the dealer servicing it. How much is the warranty worth?

/ How to negotiate #34  
Best thing i did was shop around for the same tractor at different dealers. Especially when your ready to buy. I went to one dealer that said he was giving me a great deal on the tractor and couldn't go any lower, and a friend of mine recommended another. I was glad he did. Saved me 5k of the tractor and attachments.

/ How to negotiate #35  
I just bought 2 used tractors off a very good local dealer. Family run business that is very friendly. They didn't deal much on the prices of the tractors (maybe $1000 off asking price total), but I wanted attachments and they had used ones there they were able to knock some $$$ off. They also gave me (at my request) some free shear pins for the blower (don't want to be without those during a snow storm...). I also got them to sell me a new Stihl chainsaw I had been eyeing up at $100 discount. All in all I think I did decent, considering it is very hard to find a used version of what I really wanted (40+HP, under 60" width).

After I loaded my tractors on my trailer, one of them started leaking fluid. I didn't catch it, but the sales manager did. He brought the tech out and they said they were going to order the part. I just need to bring it back in when the part shows up, they'll take care of it.

/ How to negotiate #36  
Sounds like your happy with the deal and that’s what matters. It also sounds like a good dealer so best of luck to you.

/ How to negotiate #37  
The value of anything you buy has more to do than just price. Personally i couldn't care less what anyone pays for anything whether it's a dealer, buyer or a relative. I simply assign a "value" to it that includes price, quality and dealer rep, what I need and how the thing fits me. Have I ever 'overpaid' for anything? Not once if I stick to my own comparisons.
Examples: 5 years ago was looking at Kubota 3000 something. I assigned a price to the tractor based on my criteria that was $2400 less than the dealer wanted. He let me walk which was fine because its value did not come up to my criteria.
2 years ago I purchased a 2006 Durango Hemi Limited that I know the dealer paid $7800 because I saw his purchase price . I paid $10,600 and was pleased to do so. Why? Because the comparable Tahoe was $11,000 more and the Durango had only 76,000 miles on it which is low for a 10 year old car. The thing looked brand new and it would have been a haul to find another like it. The "value" of the thing surpassed the price for me.

Last edited:
   / How to negotiate #38  
I just purchased a 2665 cab and they had a 9500 rebate on it so definitely look at all options. Good luck