PTO Pump

/ PTO Pump #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I am thinking about buying a PTO Pump Kit for my 511 BH. I don't like having to run RPMs over 1700 :eek: to get BH performace from my 6520. :( I understand the PTO Pump in the kit puts out 14 gpm. However, my dealer tells me the PTO Pump Kit is not available for my 6520, but for the 6000. This doesn't make any sense to me, as both the 6520 and the 6000 have approx. the same pump gpm. I know I would have to drill some mounting holes in the sub frame for the reservoir, but other than drilling holes and mounting the reservoir and connecting plumbing, what else would have to me modified?. :confused: I haven't seen a PTO pump installation. Some photos from you guys would be a big help. :)
On the other hand, has anyone figured out if a pump from a 7520 would work on a 6520? Dollar for dollar in elbow grease, a pump upgrade might be better.:cool:
It's raining cats and dogs here. :mad: Otherwise I would be out burning diesel in the Red Beast. :D
hugs, Brandi

/ PTO Pump #2  
bindian said:
I am thinking about buying a PTO Pump Kit for my 511 BH. I don't like having to run RPMs over 1700 :eek: to get BH performace from my 6520. :( I understand the PTO Pump in the kit puts out 14 gpm. However, my dealer tells me the PTO Pump Kit is not available for my 6520, but for the 6000. This doesn't make any sense to me, as both the 6520 and the 6000 have approx. the same pump gpm. I know I would have to drill some mounting holes in the sub frame for the reservoir, but other than drilling holes and mounting the reservoir and connecting plumbing, what else would have to me modified?. :confused: I haven't seen a PTO pump installation. Some photos from you guys would be a big help. :) On the other hand, has anyone figured out if a pump from a 7520 would work on a 6520? Dollar for dollar in elbow grease, a pump upgrade might be better.:cool: It's raining cats and dogs here. :mad: Otherwise I would be out burning diesel in the Red Beast. :D hugs, Brandi
At the time that I was considering going with a PTO pump for my 509BH, my closest Mahindra dealer (at that time) recommended not going with the Mahindra package but putting together my own system using a pump similar to this one:
Prince PTO Tractor Pump 11.4 GPM — Model# HC-PTO-2A | Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

and a tank similar to one of these:
tank hydraulic from Northern Tool + Equipment

Supposedly, it would have saved a lot of money for equal or better performance... and he said the only difference with the Mahindra system would be paying $$$ more so that it would be painted Mahindra Red! :) Eventually, I figured out that I didn't want to put up with all the extra bother and learned to live with the tractor's hydraulics... however, someday I still want to check and see if the new uprated 4110 pump can be backfitted onto my 2004 4110. :)

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #3  
hi guys i have a 511 w pto pump and its not the pto pump you would think its a
sp25a63a9h2.that means its a prince sp25, much higher gpm that 12 to 14 .also
less money. i've found the hoe works much with the pump:cool:

/ PTO Pump #4  
jpm said:
hi guys i have a 511 w pto pump and its not the pto pump you would think its a sp25a63a9h2. that means its a prince sp25, much higher gpm that 12 to 14 .also less money. i've found the hoe works much with the pump:cool:
JPM - You must be running the PTO at 1,000 RPM to get enough flow out of that pump. At 540 RPM, that pump is only rated at 8.32 GPM. At 1,000 PRM, it's rated at 15.41 GPM. Or is it geared up somehow to put out more at 540 RPM?

Since that is not a typical off-the-shelf PTO pump, I'd sure like to see how they mounted and connected it up. Do you have any pix? Do you know if that's the same pump and arrangement they are using in their current PTO pump kits?

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #5  
bindian said:
I am thinking about buying a PTO Pump Kit for my 511 BH. I don't like having to run RPMs over 1700 :eek: to get BH performace from my 6520. :( I understand the PTO Pump in the kit puts out 14 gpm. However, my dealer tells me the PTO Pump Kit is not available for my 6520, but for the 6000. This doesn't make any sense to me, as both the 6520 and the 6000 have approx. the same pump gpm. I know I would have to drill some mounting holes in the sub frame for the reservoir, but other than drilling holes and mounting the reservoir and connecting plumbing, what else would have to me modified?. :confused: I haven't seen a PTO pump installation. Some photos from you guys would be a big help. :)
On the other hand, has anyone figured out if a pump from a 7520 would work on a 6520? Dollar for dollar in elbow grease, a pump upgrade might be better.:cool:
It's raining cats and dogs here. :mad: Otherwise I would be out burning diesel in the Red Beast. :D
hugs, Brandi

As you may know already, I've got the 511 with the PTO pump/res. The resv, supplied for the 6000 bolts to the BH 4PT hook-up. I put mine together so I'm somewhat familiar (although it was over 2 years ago). The issue I had was with the drawbar frame that bolts onto the rear end. Once I received the correct drawbar frame, bolted it on, I was in business. I have run the PTO pump on 540 at about 12-1300 rpm and its fine. Not sure how the rear end is set up on the 20 series, but it shouldn't be too different from the 00s.As you know the 20 series has more hydraulic fluid in its resv than the 00s...I just didn't want to heat it up more than necessary. The supplied resv holds a tad more than 12 or so gallons. I lost about a gallon at the 2hr filter change (filter on the BH line). I wouldn't go back to the tractor's hyd....Hugs, BobG in VA

/ PTO Pump #6  
BobG_in_VA said:
As you may know already, I've got the 511 with the PTO pump/res. The resv, supplied for the 6000 bolts to the BH 4PT hook-up. I put mine together so I'm somewhat familiar (although it was over 2 years ago). The issue I had was with the drawbar frame that bolts onto the rear end. Once I received the correct drawbar frame, bolted it on, I was in business. I have run the PTO pump on 540 at about 12-1300 rpm and its fine. Not sure how the rear end is set up on the 20 series, but it shouldn't be too different from the 00s. As you know the 20 series has more hydraulic fluid in its resv than the 00s...I just didn't want to heat it up more than necessary. The supplied resv holds a tad more than 12 or so gallons. I lost about a gallon at the 2hr filter change (filter on the BH line). I wouldn't go back to the tractor's hyd....Hugs, BobG in VA

Hi Bob - Please help me to understand a few points:

1) Did your tank (and pump?) mount on pre-drilled holes in the removable portion of the BH frame? Also, I understand how the drawbar itself could be in the way, but how did a different drawbar frame help?

2) My old dealer talked about how a PTO kit for my 509 would help the speed of the BH significantly but would not help with actual digging power that much... maybe another 10% on the specs he said. Others here have also noted how speed should be improved with greater flow but that basic function and digging power are related more to system pressure and that the operating pressure should be about the same either way. Is that your experience?

3) My 4110 holds 9 gallons of hydraulic fluid (for a 7.87 GPM system). The tank I was considering at the time held 12 gallons (for use with a nominal 12 GPM PTO pump). In your opinion, is that enough of a difference in volume alone to justify a PTO kit simply on the basis of more oil to heat up and, presumably, cooler running? If it became necessary, would it be practical to achieve the same thing far cheaper with some sort of in-line oil cooler?

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #7  
dougster this is the oe pump,on the tractor hyds it will not lift the rear tires with pto pump tires about 2 inch.now you bring up shifting to 1000 rpm i'll have to try it:rolleyes:
bob did you have the 2 forks on the sides of the draw bar to stop the pump from rotating j

/ PTO Pump #8  
Dougster said:
Hi Bob - Please help me to understand a few points:

1) Did your tank (and pump?) mount on pre-drilled holes in the removable portion of the BH frame? Also, I understand how the drawbar itself could be in the way, but how did a different drawbar frame help?

2) My old dealer talked about how a PTO kit for my 509 would help the speed of the BH significantly but would not help with actual digging power that much... maybe another 10% on the specs he said. Others here have also noted how speed should be improved with greater flow but that basic function and digging power are related more to system pressure and that the operating pressure should be about the same either way. Is that your experience?

3) My 4110 holds 9 gallons of hydraulic fluid (for a 7.87 GPM system). The tank I was considering at the time held 12 gallons (for use with a nominal 12 GPM PTO pump). In your opinion, is that enough of a difference in volume alone to justify a PTO kit simply on the basis of more oil to heat up and, presumably, cooler running? If it became necessary, would it be practical to achieve the same thing far cheaper with some sort of in-line oil cooler?

Dougster

Doug:
1. Tank mounts diretly onto the BH under the operators seat/feet. Pump is only connected to the BH by the hyd hoses and mounts directly on your PTO. Trust me, the biggest issue is "mating" the BH and tractor as you only have about an inch or two clearance on either side where the PTO pump actually ends up between the tank edges (Tank is sorta U shaped). My 6000 is an '02. Bradco designed the unit in '03...they changed the swinging drawbar frame and lenght of the swinging drawbar when they did the BH thing. Not knowing this, I couldn't understand why it wouldn't fit right. Finally the dealer figured it out with Mahindra, he got a new D-Bar frame, brought it out and then it fitted OK.

2 Not sure on the 4110, but the 6000 has a separate resv for the hydraulic fluid from the trans/diff case (only holds a tad less than 4 gallons of hyd fluid). I didn't want to "burn" the paint off the hyd resv, if I used the unit a lot..and I didn't want to have to run the engine any higher rpm than really necessary...Realistically, my tractor/FEL/BH (with loaded rears) weights about 11K pounds...I haven't found anything I can't handle with it at only 1200rpm as that weight combined with the power of the 511 are really something.

3. Even with 12 gallons of hyd fluid, after a couple of hours of constant usage, that external hyd fluid tank gets somewhat tepid (read real warm, so much that you can start to smell the hyd fluid). The 511 requires 11gal/min, The PTO pump puts out about 14ish or so, I'm cycling that whole tank every minute or so when I'm pushing it. So....guess what, if you reduce the volume of hyd fluid it moves faster and gets hotter much quicker... I like the the external tank (by the way, I have a 511 hyd tank that fits a 4110 (thats what my dealer told me as they sent the wrong tank as well with my 511.) I wouldn't worry about any inline cooler as I'm not planning on deep frying any chickens when I'm working...When it gets warm, I usually do too, so I take a break....I'm retired you know....(grin). BobG in VA

/ PTO Pump
Bob,
How far past the end of the PTO shaft does the pump stick out? I am thinking about a home grown installation and I am sizing up tanks. Northern Hydrualics suggests tank size be 1-2 times pump output. I am looking at a Prince 21 gpm pump. I have about 24 inches width between frame halfs and about 17 inches clear of BH lines and shaft's end. So you got a U shaped tank that goes around the pump?
hugs, Brandi

/ PTO Pump #10  
jpm said:
now you bring up shifting to 1000 rpm i'll have to try it:rolleyes:
Good Lord!!! Don't blow anything up!!! :eek: If it's working fine for you at 540 RPM, I say leave well enough alone! :)

Dougster