What is too hot ??????????????????

/ What is too hot ?????????????????? #1  

civesnedfield

Platinum Member
Tractor
2007 Mahindra 4530----1972 Massey Ferguson 1100
Finally got to spen quality time with the new tractor yesterday and it was a paying gig too boot. Spent 7 hours bushhogging a field.

So here is the question: After about an hour or so I noticed that the control for the FEL was HOT. Kept an eye on it and when I felt it was getting too hot I let the tractor cool down for a while. I also noticed that the top of the rear case where the 3pt lift arms attach was also quite hot.

So I guess my question is as follows. Is this normal? If not what could be causing this?

One other question -- Any one having problems with the R1 Titans on the front end? I have one that is developing what looks like knife cuts in it. I checked one time and had about 3 cuts, by the end of the day I had 6 cuts. Noo rocks or sharp objects, I think the tire is splitting on its own.

/ What is too hot ??????????????????
Just figured out how to resize pictures. Here are the cuts developing in the tires

Attachments

• Tire Cut4.JPG
    Tire Cut4.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Tire Cut1.JPG
    Tire Cut1.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Tire Cut3.JPG
    Tire Cut3.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 216
  • TireCut5.JPG
    TireCut5.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 236
   / What is too hot ?????????????????? #3  
I don't know anything about those tires, but as for the hydraulic oil getting hot? How hot? Did you have a way to measure it accurately? 100 degrees farenheit ABOVE the ambient temperature is common; i.e., if you were around here today, it's 88 degrees, so to put your hand on the FEL control valve at 188 is not something you'd want to do, but it won't hurt the tractor. It's probably a bit cooler in your area, but even if it's 60 degrees, you won't keep your hand on something that 160 degrees very long.

/ What is too hot ?????????????????? #4  
If this is a new tractor contact your dealer about getting those tires replaced under warranty.

Thanks Red I thought that's one of you dealer types was going to say.

Bird as far as air temp yesterday was high 70's low 80's I didn't think about that. Going to see if I can borrow a fancy temp device from work to keep an eye on it.

Red the other tire is not showing cracks like these yet. Do you think I should insist that they replace both of the tires? And yes this is a new tractor I just turned 20 hours this weekend.

/ What is too hot ?????????????????? #7  
civesnedfield said:
Red the other tire is not showing cracks like these yet. Do you think I should insist that they replace both of the tires? And yes this is a new tractor I just turned 20 hours this weekend.
I do believe youre on to something. My Titans have lots of those, spread around on all 4. Some of them them are obvious cuts, shallow and circumferentially directed. Some are crossways like yours tho. Some are at the strain edge of a lug. A few are deeper. I have 260hrs. I have heard problems with regard to tires that went into service too soon after demolding. They need more time to fully cure. Perhaps this is what you are seeing the results of - and me to a lesser extent I believe.
larry

/ What is too hot ?????????????????? #8  
I would just get them to replace the tire showing damage. I've seen this on multiple new units we've received during our inspections.

Thanks Red I plan on calling my dealer in the morning. I'll let you know what he says.

/ What is too hot ?????????????????? #10  
One of the dealers can explain it better, but I think your three point and draft control are throwing causing the tractor to over run its pressure relief. You can burn things up if you do this. I had gentleman call me a few weeks ago that had melted the boot on his handle kit to the valve. I do not know enough to tell you EXACTLY what the cause is, but I know why the heat is generated. A call to the dealer is the safest bet. They can get fairly hot under normal use, but you really should not notice it too much in the tank area. That's what leads me to believe you have a small problem. It may be covered in the manual as well.