Now I'm confused........

/ Now I'm confused........ #1  

Mike in La.

Tractor
6500 4x4 FEL
Cleaning up my 6500fwd after bushogging and noticed that there is no crankshaft pulley and harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. Now, I'm from East Texas and am accustumed to seeing things that make me say HMMMMM......but now I'm really stumped. What drives the belt,alternator, and pumps? And just how strong can this drive assembly be? What would happen if say, a pump or alternator were to suddenly lock up and stop turning? HMMMM............

/ Now I'm confused........ #2  
Mike in La. said:
Cleaning up my 6500fwd after bushogging and noticed that there is no crankshaft pulley and harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. Now, I'm from East Texas and am accustumed to seeing things that make me say HMMMMM......but now I'm really stumped. What drives the belt,alternator, and pumps? And just how strong can this drive assembly be? What would happen if say, a pump or alternator were to suddenly lock up and stop turning? HMMMM............
I dont know if the 6500 is the same, but my 7520 does not have a crankshaft pulley either. There is a pulley on the front of the engine tho - right in front of the position of the hydraulic pump. The hyd pump and this pulley are driven by gearing behind the front engine cover. The crankshaft gear drives the cam gear which in turn drives the hyd pump gear. On mine these are helical cut gears. The high power transiting the cam gear, to the pump and all the loads on the pulley, can be a problem. This is due to thrust force inherently developed in helical gears carrying a load. The cam gear is literally pulled toward the engine by the crankshaft gear and then on the opposite side, pushed away from the engine by the gear on the hyd pump/pulley shaft. Some cam gears have broken at the gear hub. Mine did. The cam gear has been upgraded, but there really is not much room to heavy it up. I am skeptical of the adequacy of this setup especially to drive any major accessory from the pulley in combination with pump loads.
larry

/ Now I'm confused........ #3  
Is the engine mounted backwards compaired to a car?

The Bx23 I have is mounted with cooling fan and other stuff on back and sucks through radiator from below steeing wheel so the fly wheel is on the front of the tractor.

tom