6500 problem

/ 6500 problem #1  

bludev

Tractor
Mahindra 6500 2wd
All,

Thanks in advance for any help:

My 6500 (30hrs) has started randomly missing at higher RPM (most of the time somewhere over 1500 rpm). When it does miss, it has no power and will blow a small amount of blue/gray smoke. This seems to be more prevalent when the tractor is under load and seems to be getting worse.

So far I have:
1) drained the fuel filters to get any water out (drained enough that the fuel system had to be primed)... no help
2) Checked the fuel filters and they seemed to be ok (they should be with only 30 hours?)
3) I then suspected a fuel problem and wanted to drain the fuel from the tank, so I disconnected the "tank to filter" fuel line at the fuel filter and noticed that there was only a slow drip "bleeding" from the line ... shouldn't the fuel have ran out faster than that ?) I then disconnected the fuel line at the tank (removed the fuel cock etc., and still only witnessed a drip from where the fitting goes into the tank ... again is this correct? (I was expecting a steady stream of fuel to run). Anyway, I was never able to get all the fuel out of the tank, so I'm not sure about fuel quality at this point.

So if anyone has any hints or advice, please let me know. (I would really like to make sure that the fuel is ok before I call the dealer and pay him to take the tractor in)

Thanks,
Bludev

/ 6500 problem #2  
Did you have the fuel cap on or off? Not sure how much air the cap breather lets in, but I still (like you would expect a pretty solid stream from the line to the fuel filter. My guess is that you have something (piece of leaf, or ???) in the tank laying over the outlet. I don't think you have a "fuel" problem -- more likely a "foreign object" problem.

/ 6500 problem #3  
VistanTN said:
Did you have the fuel cap on or off? Not sure how much air the cap breather lets in, but I still (like you would expect a pretty solid stream from the line to the fuel filter. My guess is that you have something (piece of leaf, or ???) in the tank laying over the outlet. I don't think you have a "fuel" problem -- more likely a "foreign object" problem.

I agree, some crud is in the tank line or over the outlet in the tank. Take the cap off, blow back into the tank, then see if you have a good stream. That will temporarily clean a clog.

/ 6500 problem #4  
Bludev,
As Dave said blow back on the line and check the flow, if that doesn't help, check and make sure the vent in the fuel cap is not plugged. If blowing back helps, drain down your tank and look in with a flashlight and if you can see what is plugging the outlet try to fish it out. If you can't fish it out you may have to remove the tank and flush it out. Let us know what you find.

/ 6500 problem
thanks for the input guys ... I will try the remedies soon and let you know what I find. Incidentley, when I noticed the fuel wasn't flowing, I removed the tank cap ... needless to say, it seemed to make no difference,

Roger

/ 6500 problem
I found the problem. As I suspected (and some of you suggested) the fuel wasn't flowing from the tank with enough volume. This was caused by the small fuel filter inside the tank (I didn't know there was one there) being extremely dirty. I removed and cleaned the filter and now all is well.

Thanks for all the input,
Roger

/ 6500 problem #7  
I know the problem of access to the fuel tank drain and IN-TANK FILTER (PLASTIC MESH) all too well. Either I get all dirty fuel, or that little filter in the tank is TOO restrictive and catches eveything. I only get 2 to 3 tanks full between changing he in-tank filter.
Tomorrow, I am trying to plug the tank with a wine cork to slow down the diesel pouring out on me.

/ 6500 problem #8  
Searching for where to order this filter. I need to buy a few of them and keep on hand.

/ 6500 problem #9  
I've had some of the same issues. Where is the filter in the tank and how do you get at it to replace it?

/ 6500 problem #10  
Sounds like a petcock filter like they use in motorcycles.or screen