Universal Tractor Fluid Ratings

/ Universal Tractor Fluid Ratings #1  

brisimon

Tractor
7520 4WD
After filter changes and quite a few implement switchovers, I needed to add some hydraulic / transmission fluid to my 7520. I bought the Universal Tractor Fluid I usually buy from a local store, but the container doesn't mention the API GL-4 rating suggested / required by the owner's manual. I started noticing foam on the dipstick, so got worried and decided to drain the fluid to replace with a high quality fluid. Here's my questions:

1) I could find no tractor fluid with the API rating on the container or a clerk who knew for sure about any fluid's ratings. If the fluid I purchased is rated for JD20C and Quatrol specs, is this adequate for my 7520? I found it at O'Reilly Auto Parts with their own label called "Premium Universal Tracor Fluid". It had most every tractor brand I've ever heard of listed (except Mahindra - maybe someday!), so I felt comfortable using it.

2) Is it possible to get all or 95%+ of the fluid drained, considering the FEL probably contains quite a chunk of fluid in the hoses?

/ Universal Tractor Fluid Ratings #2  
brisimon said:
After filter changes and quite a few implement switchovers, I needed to add some hydraulic / transmission fluid to my 7520. I bought the Universal Tractor Fluid I usually buy from a local store, but the container doesn't mention the API GL-4 rating suggested / required by the owner's manual. I started noticing foam on the dipstick, so got worried and decided to drain the fluid to replace with a high quality fluid. Here's my questions:

1) I could find no tractor fluid with the API rating on the container or a clerk who knew for sure about any fluid's ratings. If the fluid I purchased is rated for JD20C and Quatrol specs, is this adequate for my 7520? I found it at O'Reilly Auto Parts with their own label called "Premium Universal Tracor Fluid". It had most every tractor brand I've ever heard of listed (except Mahindra - maybe someday!), so I felt comfortable using it.

2) Is it possible to get all or 95%+ of the fluid drained, considering the FEL probably contains quite a chunk of fluid in the hoses?

I went thru the same thing looking for UTF for my 4530. You will be hard pressed to find any information on the sides of the cans of fluid. What I did was look for the fluids recommended in the owners manual, Shell Donax, Mobil 424, to name a few. Then I went looking for an oil dealer. Lucky there is one on the way home.
After I bought the Mobil 424, I went on the 24/7 page and found that is was not on the recommended fluid list. Panic time. I talked to Brenda Bradshaw who had talked to her in house guru. What they basically told me is that 1) the Mobil 424 is ok, and 2) Any UTF fluid that is OK for wet brakes is acceptable.

If you are still concerned about specs. You can find specs for the Mahidra listed fluids on line. Just take them and compare them to the type of UTF available in your area.

Short of disconnecting the hoses and draining each piston you will end up with a bit of the old fluid left in the system .