Difference between series of tractors

/ Difference between series of tractors #1  

DenisM

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking for one now.
Am new to tractors as I just retired and bought a 7 acre piece of propery with a nice cabin and large workshop. Was a city fellow before that.
Have been reading about tractors and the Mahindra seems like a good tractor for the money. I visited the closest dealer but he only had 2 tractors on his lot; was more of a diesel repair garage than a tractor dealer and wasn't very helpful. Anyway was wondering what the difference was between the 00, 10 and 30 series tractors besides the obvious horse power and price.
Want to clear off some of the trees and smooth out the rest of the property, used to be a farm and the ground is too rough for a lawn mower to cut the grass.
Thanks for any ideas.

/ Difference between series of tractors #2  
DenisM said:
Am new to tractors as I just retired and bought a 7 acre piece of propery with a nice cabin and large workshop. Was a city fellow before that.
Have been reading about tractors and the Mahindra seems like a good tractor for the money. I visited the closest dealer but he only had 2 tractors on his lot; was more of a diesel repair garage than a tractor dealer and wasn't very helpful. Anyway was wondering what the difference was between the 00, 10 and 30 series tractors besides the obvious horse power and price.
Want to clear off some of the trees and smooth out the rest of the property, used to be a farm and the ground is too rough for a lawn mower to cut the grass.
Thanks for any ideas.

Denis the main difference between the 00 and 30 series is the operators station layout. The 00 series has the gear selector between you legs in the middle of the floor. The 30 series has a semi-flat station. The gear and range selectors have been moved off to the sides, allowing easier acces to the tractor. The only other difference is the number of gears. The 00 series has 8 foward and two reverse gears on the 2WD models and 8 foward and 8 reverse on 4WD models. The 30 series have the 8 foward and 8 reverse gears and are only available in 4WD. Both the 00 and 30 series are no frills work horses.
AS for the 10 series I believe all the tractors in this series are actually manufactured by TYN and are being marketed by Mahindra, they have 12 gears foward and reverse.
Most of the differences between the models offered are subtle.
I think if you look at them in terms of bells and whistles you will find that they tend to go in this order, least being first :

25 series, 00 series, 30 series, 10 series, and 20 series

The 15 series are the lower HP tractors and are also avaiable with HST

Not sure what exactly you are looking for, but I hope this helped.

Ed

/ Difference between series of tractors
Yes, that clears things up somewhat. I'm looking for a tractor to help clear a 2 acre wooded area and smooth out and later cut a 4 acre area. I also work on machine tools so I have need to load or unload a 2,000 to 3,000lb machine ever once and a while. In addition to this there is the usual small garden work and moving rocks and dirt around the property. Any suggestions?

/ Difference between series of tractors #4  
DenisM said:
Yes, that clears things up somewhat. I'm looking for a tractor to help clear a 2 acre wooded area and smooth out and later cut a 4 acre area. I also work on machine tools so I have need to load or unload a 2,000 to 3,000lb machine ever once and a while. In addition to this there is the usual small garden work and moving rocks and dirt around the property. Any suggestions?

I am a little bias, but the 4530 sounds like a good fit. 3000lbs is at the upper end of the FEL lifting capacity though. Specs list 2950 as capacity. The machine is built like a tank. I have had mine for 4 months now and I am extremly happy with it. My motto is Go Big or Die, but I don't believe that you will need a machine ant bigger than the 4530.

/ Difference between series of tractors
The dealer I went to had a 4530 and a 3215. The 3215 was an auto trans type and a whole lot smaller than the 4530 which was standard trans type. The 4530 was a lot bigger and looked quite a big heavier and didn't really cost that much more. I will go back and check it out again.
Are tractor dealers similar to car dealers - you have to haggle a lot to get the best deal. Or are the prices set about the same from dealer to dealer.

/ Difference between series of tractors #7  
Saw your post, thought I would add my 2cents. I looked at the 4530 with the FEL for around $19,500 (before taxes) A lot of guys realy like them and I see them around south Louisiana and Miss. For $2,000 more I went with the 5500 (4wd) with the 265 FEL, mainly because of the 4 cyl. motor and it weighs like only 500 lbs more than the 4530. Only complaint was that I had to finish instaling the FEL (several bolts were only hand tight) and it seems to have hyd. problems. However I did clear two acres with mine.

/ Difference between series of tractors #8  
I would look at the 3525 tractor and a ML230 Front End Loader.

The tractor list for $12,545.00
The loader list for $ 4,305.00
Both list for $16,850.00

I own a 3325 it is the same tractor without a live PTO or power steering. I cut 5 acres of grass with it. The tractor has 35 horse power and is a gear drive. Automatic transmission's in my mind are only good if you do alot of going back and forth with the tractor.

For what you are using a tractor for I think the 3525 is a good option for you. But many on here will disagree with me. I am 61 and almost retired I beleive all the bells and whistles are just something more to go bad. The 3325 and 3525 are just good solid built tractor. Plus for the money they are great value. Especially now with 0% interest for 24 months.

To give you some idea of what kind of discount to expect I bought my 3325 (new) in July of 2006 it listed for $10,240.00 (I may be off by a hundred dollars or so. A 2007 list for $10,959.00) I paid $8,950.00 and took the 36 month 0% interest.

I love my tractor. I just got 50 hours on it and LOVE it. I have yet to have my first problem of any kind.

Just my thoughts.

Don

/ Difference between series of tractors #9  
Hey Denis:
From what you've told us it will be the need to unload 3,000 lb. machine tools that will be your limiting factor. I would want an FEL rated at least at 4,000 max capacity at the pins if I was loading and unloading 3,000 lbs of expensive machinery. In my opinion a tractor big enough to do that safely would be far bigger than needed for the other applications you listed. I had a similar situation, wanting something to clear and mow 6 acres and occasionally load and unload multi-ton equipment, and ended up working out an agreement with a neighbor to use his (very large) equipment when I need it, such as unloading the machinery I worked on and tested, and in exchange I helped him mow his orchards with my Mahindra 2615 HST. It worked out great.

But if you can't work out a situation where you would have access to two machines (or buy two machines), I say go as big as you can afford and you won't be sorry.

/ Difference between series of tractors #10  
Check out the 5525, a no frill and rugged yet attractive tractor. Brochure states 54 hp, but a tag on the motor states 51. Live pto, FEL, 8 forward and 2 reverse. While the smaller ones with HST is fine for constant direction change, manual trans transmit most of their power to where needed, the wheels. I paid a little under 17K with the FEL. I wanted a unique set up, to my knowledge I have the only 5525 with a BH. Had a 509 frame mounted. Total out the door, $27,400. Near Seattle, WA.

If check out the hydraulics for the models, i.e. gpm flow.