Mahindra's Bucket Strength

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #1  

MUDONTHETIRES

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6065 4WD
I know that there are many threads about bucket reinforcements but I didn't find much about Mahindra buckets. Thanks to bindians blog pics on M's website, I'm getting two hooks welded on my ML245 loader bucket soon! Before I do though, I want to know how much should I reinforce the bucket first? Should I weld a strip of metal all the way across the bucket, say a 3"x72"x1/4"? Is that overkill and if it is, what size metal strip should I weld? Should I reinforce the bucket at all? Some seem to weld a square tube under the top bucket lip. Has anyone with a Mahindra bucket with hooks welded on without reinforcements had any trouble with warping or twisting of the bucket or loader arms?

Thanks for any info,
Mud

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #2  
On my original 5' bucket that came with my tractor, I tried putting a hook in the middle without any reinforcement and it bent the top edge pretty quickly. I straightened it back out and put a piece of 3" channel iron about 40" long inside the lip, and have used the heck out of it ever since. When I bought my 6' bucket a couple years ago, I put the channel iron in there right away and have had no problems. On this bucket I think I used a 48" length. I don't think a flat piece of iron would be strong enough, even angle iron might give. The channel iron is plenty strong. I move heavy trailers etc. around with mine on rough ground, up/down hills and pick up all kinds of things with it.

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength
Thanks skipmarcy, do you happen to have a pic of your 6' bucket with the channel iron under the lip?

Thanks,
Mud

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #4  
MUDONTHETIRES said:
I know that there are many threads about bucket reinforcements but I didn't find much about Mahindra buckets. Thanks to bindians blog pics on M's website, I'm getting two hooks welded on my ML245 loader bucket soon! Before I do though, I want to know how much should I reinforce the bucket first? Should I weld a strip of metal all the way across the bucket, say a 3"x72"x1/4"? Is that overkill and if it is, what size metal strip should I weld? Should I reinforce the bucket at all? Some seem to weld a square tube under the top bucket lip. Has anyone with a Mahindra bucket with hooks welded on without reinforcements had any trouble with warping or twisting of the bucket or loader arms?

Thanks for any info,
Mud
Mud,
I have a 84 inch heavy duty bucket.:cool: Before I welded a receiver hitch tube on top, I was thinking about welding a 2 inch tube across the top in front, but haven't. My bucket top makes a "C" channel lip. Working my burn pile with one end of large logs going into the bucket, this top lip has been bent already.:eek: I would at the least weld a 3/16 inch thick channel on the top in your case. If I was doing rock work like Dougster, I would weld a 3/16 or 1/4 inch strap on the leading edge of the sides.;)
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 11-2-07 bucket bent lip 2.jpg
    11-2-07 bucket bent lip 2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 529
Thanks for the pic Brandi! Looks like I'm definitely going to need some support on the bucket.

Mud

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #6  
Here a picture of mine. The dealer put the angle on and the center hook. I put the two outer hooks on. I don't like how the center hook sticks out so, I will eventually cut it off and re-do it. If you re-enforce the top edge, you shouldn't have any problems. I've seen other brands with center hooks and bent buckets. It'll happen with nothing to stiffen the bucket edge.

Attachments

• 100_0479 (975 x 731).jpg
    100_0479 (975 x 731).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 583
Thanks for the pic shvl73! I really like how the top and front are reinforced.

Thanks again,
Mud

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #8  
If we just used our loaders to load, we would be fine. But since we like to push over trees, shove huge burn piles, move rocks that actually don't fit in the bucket, etc...reinforcement is a good idea. And, it is easier to reinforce the bucket before it gets bent. We generally use a 2"x3"x1/4" angle on the top of the bucket on the 15 series, and we go all the way across the bucket. Depending on your usage, you might want to go with something a little heavier on the larger units.

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #9  
bindian said:
Mud,
I have a 84 inch heavy duty bucket.:cool: Before I welded a receiver hitch tube on top, I was thinking about welding a 2 inch tube across the top in front, but haven't. My bucket top makes a "C" channel lip. Working my burn pile with one end of large logs going into the bucket, this top lip has been bent already.:eek: I would at the least weld a 3/16 inch thick channel on the top in your case.
hugs, Brandi

Mine, a 72" version of yours, hasnt bent like that yet. Perhaps because its shorter coupled. Closing the C by just welding in a piece of hi strength flat stock should make it much stronger I think, and wont change the profile at all.

Heads up--
I have found a hidden weak point in the bucket in its application on the big Mahindras. It is at the rear end of each bottom wear plate. These end in an area on the bottom that is dead space - not visible fron the interior. The loader arms apply their force just behind this point on mine. Flexing of the thinner material rearward of the wearplate causes it to crack. It would be easier to strengthen this area before it cracks by extending from the wearplates back to the bucket mount with thicker material. Always better to fix it before it cracks especially when you can only get to one side.​
larry​

/ Mahindra's Bucket Strength #10  
I welded a piece of 2"x3"X1/4" angle all the way across the top of my bucket and then welded on two hooks, each one in line with the loader arms. I also welded a hook in the center of the quick attach plate on the loader itself. If needed I could drop the three hundred pound bucket and move the lift point closer to the tractor to utilize more of the the tractors lift capacity (hope that makes sense).

Attachments

• weld on hooks 005.jpg
    weld on hooks 005.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 501
  • weld on hooks 004.jpg
    weld on hooks 004.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 460
  • weld on hooks 003.jpg
    weld on hooks 003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 443
  • weld on hooks 002.jpg
    weld on hooks 002.jpg