4110 right front wheel

/ 4110 right front wheel #1  

kponds

Looks like I either lost or broke off several bolts in the right front wheel assembly this morning while bush hogging. I was making a sharp right turn and heard a small popping noise which I originally thought was the tires (titan industrial) were hitting something on the chassis. I stopped the tractor when I got on level ground and ended up finding oil on the inside of the tire. Upon further inspection I saw that the heads of a couple (or more) of the bolts that connect the outer portion of the hub assembly to the axle were missing (I'm probably not being very clear but there appears to be about 10 of these bolts going around the assembly going inward toward the tractor). The outer hub assembly is separated from the inner hub by about 1/8" and the oil is leaking from the opening. The majority of the bolts are still there and intact.

I haven't gotten the tractor up in the air but I suspect I either lost or broke two or three of these bolts. I tried going in with a small screwdriver from the backside (there's a small opening on the backside of these bolt holes on the inner assembly and it appears that a portion of the bolt is still in the hole assuming the opening goes all the way thru.

Am I correct in assuming that if I can get the remaining portion of the bolt out that by replacing the broken bolts and refilling the front axle with oil I will be good to go assuming the out housing is not warped and I can get a good seal? I drove the tractor from where I found the problem back to my parking area (pretty much a straight line with no sharp turns). I plan to jack her up in the next few days to see how bad it is but I suspect I will need an ezOut and several bolts, replace the bolts, drain the axle and refill.

Any suggestions or comments from anyone who had seen this problem?

/ 4110 right front wheel #2  
Let us know what you find when you jack it up and take the wheel off. If I am correctly picturing what you are telling, it is hard for me to believe. You better completely take the cover off and check the gears in there. Replace the seal on it also. It seems just about all of those bolts would have to be loose, to do what it did, and the gears in there wouldn't mesh correctly like that. Let us know what year your 4110 is or even better your serial #. Keep us up to date on it and I will help if I can.

/ 4110 right front wheel
Got the wheel off and you are right, two bolts missing (not broken) and several loose allowing the assembly to start opening up on the bottom.

I am wondering if I can just get the needed bolts and retighten, drop lube from front axle, relube, and be good to go. Once I saw what was going on I went out of 4 wheel drive (I normally run it in 4WD) to get it up on my pad to get it jacked up. If I need to do more, I want to do it as I have been very impressed with this tractor and want to do what is right.

Any help is appreciated - I have several pictures in my gallery here. I will try to get them to post here in this message but I am not sure how to do that. And I will not do anything else (except go down to the bottom of the hill and pick up the tire and wheel (my pad has a hill going off of it and the wheel took off when I got it off the tractor and rolled about 100 yards down the hill - hope I can get it up on the 4 wheeler).

Also, the serial number is 4110 W01 0039 - Its a 2003 with about 280 hrs on it. I can't believe that all those came loose over time. Looks like two missing and 4 loose. As far as I know, that wheel has never been off since the tractor delivery from the dealer.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 001.jpg
    Copy of Picture 001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Copy of Picture 002.jpg
    Copy of Picture 002.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Copy of Picture 003.jpg
    Copy of Picture 003.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
   / 4110 right front wheel #4  
I would take that cover all the way off and check to make sure the gears are not damaged and make sure the seal is good or replace it. I think the gears will be fine but I would check to make sure. Good luck with it!