2810 leaking from new front wheel seal

/ 2810 leaking from new front wheel seal #1  

Texan4Life

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706
Just did both front wheel seals on our 2810 (208 hours). Did some loader work for about 30 min. to check for leaks and found none. It sat for a week and when I was running it I noticed it leaking from one of the seals about the same or worse than the old seal. The other wheel is doing just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that either we didn't get it seated all the way, there was dirt (though we were very careful to keep everything clean) or something is out of spec. If we just didn't get it seated all the way (which is what I'm thinking since we kinda babied this one since it was the first wheel done) can I just take it apart a give the hub assy. a few more taps to try and get a better seat on the seal?

What could have made new seal leak? Anyone have to deal with something like this before?

Oh and this is a one piece seal. The manual shows a two piece seal and found out our "new" 2810 has an "old" 2810 front axle, darn transitional models. :\.... Makes me wonder what else that book is wrong about.

/ 2810 leaking from new front wheel seal
Had a chance to finally work on the 2810 today. We re did the wheel seal on the one that was leaking. The seal still looked and felt brand new (and it had only about 4 hr on it) so we re installed making sure to get it seated all of the way. We made our own gasket for the wheel/hub cover this time around as the one mahindra sells really sucks. We made one out of a yellow file folder. It fits perfectly, saves 12 bucks, and didn't have to wait for the dealer to order it.

Torqued it up, topped off with gear oil, and is looking squeaky clean so far... But then we noticed that the PTO was leaking :(. But surprisingly, the dealer had one seal on the shelf, so we snapped it up - a whole $5.50, and put it in.

and we didn't have to drain the trans. oil to put in the new PTO seal... we just backed up on a pile of dirt to get the rear end about 2-3 feet higher than the front. And no oil was showing in the sight glass (was full when level) and we did the PTO in a snap with no oil spills.

Other than back up on a dirt pile we didn't do more driving/work with it. So I'm not 100% if it is leak free (it better be or something is out of spec at 210 hours:( )

Though it is a little disappointing to have to do the front wheel seals (one twice), PTO seal, new fuel float, and a bent 3pt hitch arm at about 200 hours. (though we bought it used with bad front seals and dead float, and I should have known better with the 3pt arm) ... I will give mahindra this - So far this thing is really easy/straight forward to work on.

/ 2810 leaking from new front wheel seal
We we able to check on the 2810 today. The PTO seal is doing great. The wheel we redid is leaking again from the seal. Though it isn't dripping out like before, just a slow weep, I might even say is is a slower leak then the old seal we took out.:rolleyes: The other wheel seal is doing great, though the crappy mahindra gasket is starting to leak a little. Oh, and I forgot to mention that with the gaskets we did not use any sealant. So I guess the mahindra gasket would get by if we gooped the crap out of them. But scraping off old dried up gasket goo gets old, especially as many times it appears we have to have the hubs open. Also if you miss or use to much sealant it gets squished into the gear case. So we avoid the use of sealant and much as possible.

The things that come to mind is that running it with the seal not seated all the way damaged it in some tiny way that we didn't detect. Or the shaft/hub is worn beyond the tolerance specifications, which I find hard to believe at now 215 hours.

Does anyone have the service manual for the older 2810? Because our manual is for a new 2810 (which we have) but our new 2810 has an old 2810 front axle. So therefore I cannot find any specs. for the front end if I wanted too. The manual we have shows a hub that uses 2 seals per wheel compared to what our tractor actually has which is one seal per wheel.

This tractor has a fiberglass (or plastic, dunno) hood with two removable steel side panels. Which as far as I understood it is the "new" 2810... thats how the dealer came to the conclusion this is a transitional tractor.

Also, If i remember correctly the correct seals we got were marked as for a 3510 model and the wrong seals (2 piece) were for a 4110. But I could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas at all of why the seal is being stubborn?

Any dealers out there that might be able to run this by their mechanics on a lunch break? Perhaps steal a peak at a service manual with the old style axle?

/ 2810 leaking from new front wheel seal #4  
I would try to match the Mahindra seal with something American made if that's possible..?? When you have it apart get a mike on the shaft to see if it's oval......If it were me I would be real suspicious of that shaft....IMHO machined pieces from India/Korea/China are just not up to Japanese or American standards?