Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silly question

Ok, I saw the picture of the new Mahindra on the home page of this site and see that it has a metal strap welded in to the inside bottom of the FEL bucket. I can't figure out what the heck that is supposed to do!

It is probably obvious to everyone else, but for someone as slow and dumb as i am, it is not obvious.

So, what's it for?

jb

P.S. - I posted this message initially in the Kioti forum as I am even slower than previously thought. So, keep that in mind and write your answer slowly as I apparently can't read or process information very fast.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Default Re: Silly question

I'd say the metal strap is to strengthen the bottom of the bucket but I'm not sure either. I know my neighbor bent the bottom of his (non-Mahindra brand) tractor bucket this past summer . He brought it to me and I used a hydraulic jack to straighten his bucket then I welded in a brace of 1/4" x 3 steel similar to the one pictured on the site. I also ran one lengthwise in his bucket and so far he hasn't bent it again. My 2615 has two braces on the bottom of the bucket running the way the site pic shows but not in the bucket.

That's what I thought, but I don't see how it would actually make it stronger. The forces want to bend the middle of the bucket down, but running the strap from back to front does little to nothing to make it stronger against those forces. (Then again, I didn't like that class.)

There are plenty of bright people designing the tractor, FEL and bucket. It's got to be there for a reason --> I'm just too slow and dumb to get it! Hopefully, this will start to make an itch on the curiosity bone of some folks here and the real reason will come out.

jb

Tractor
    2007 Mahindra 4530----1972 Massey Ferguson 1100

Looks like a stiffner. I think we will have to wait for Jeremy to chime in on this one to be sure though.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    Ok, I saw the picture of the new Mahindra on the home page of this site and see that it has a metal strap welded in to the inside bottom of the FEL bucket. I can't figure out what the heck that is supposed to do!

It is probably obvious to everyone else, but for someone as slow and dumb as i am, it is not obvious.

So, what's it for?
    jb
    Stiffening the bottom center in this way helps protect the lip in push as well as up down deflection. Highly effective to prevent buckling behind lip in push, but still helps stiffen up/down because it makes more of the bucket metal "work" as the lip deflects.
    larry
    Last edited by SPYDERLK; 12-13-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Larry,

So, it makes the cutting edge act thicker so it won't bend in plane?

I'm guessing that is done to make the bucket as light as possible?

Never seen that done before.

jb

OK.. I will chime in, but it is somewhat fruitless. That is one of the few Mahindra Loaders NOT made by KMW. My guess would be that it IS a stiffener of sorts, but it DOES seem like an odd way to do it to me.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    Larry,

So, it makes the cutting edge act thicker so it won't bend in plane?

I'm guessing that is done to make the bucket as light as possible?

Never seen that done before.

jb
    Im just guessing what youre talking about is the same as on my bucket on the 7520. There is a 3/8 or 1/2" x 4" wide piece of strap metal welded to the bottom of the bucket starting just behind the lip and extending well back into the bucket. This little trick makes the 1/2" lip on the bucket barely adequate. A 5/8 lip and a couple more of these stiffeners would really be strong, and I could push over trees with no danger to the bucket. I would like to buy some of the pre formed straps and weld them into my bucket, but I got no response when I asked this of Jeremy.
    larry

Larry,

Ok, that last response made it more clear.

It is to keep the bucket as light as possible. Light is thin and thin is weak, so it needs stiffening. But, it doesn't require every place to be stiff. As variable thickness plate is rather expensive, adding those straps is done.

I guess that the majority of folks will either be light duty users moving manure, mulch or similar and that is more than fine. The tougher users will probably get HD buckets and that's fine too. Makes sense.

Thanks,

Merry Christmas!
    jb

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK
    Im just guessing what youre talking about is the same as on my bucket on the 7520. There is a 3/8 or 1/2" x 4" wide piece of strap metal welded to the bottom of the bucket starting just behind the lip and extending well back into the bucket. This little trick makes the 1/2" lip on the bucket barely adequate. A 5/8 lip and a couple more of these stiffeners would really be strong, and I could push over trees with no danger to the bucket. I would like to buy some of the pre formed straps and weld them into my bucket, but I got no response when I asked this of Jeremy.
    larry

Hey wait a minute.... i don't remember you askin THAT.... or if you did, I did not understand the question..... To answer the question, I am not sure I could wrangle those up. We only build those in the Skid Steer style now so we never build those buckets anymore. I HIGHLY doubt I have inventory laying around and it's not cost effective to just make a few....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast