How to test Glow Plugs

/ How to test Glow Plugs #1  

zippy215

Can anyone tell me how to test glow plugs??? When I turn the key on my glow plug light stays on for about 1 to 2 seconds so I am guessing that one of the glow plugs has died and with the price of them I don't want to change all of them.

Thanks in advance

/ How to test Glow Plugs #2  
I use a Ohm meter to test the ones in my truck. Pull the plug off the top, hold one lead to ground and the other to the GP and see what the reading is. It should be near zero ohms for a good one.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #3  
I don't know what they cost for your tractor, but I learned to go ahead and replace all of them on my diesel pickups. Seems when one went bad, the others weren't far behind. Get it all over with at once.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #4  
As KennyD mentioned, use an ohm meter. If your glow plugs are all tied together you must separate the strap or wire that connects them all then test one by one. There should be some resistance. If it goes completely to 0 it may be shorted to ground. No ohm reading tells you it has an open circuit. I have an 04 model 2615HST that I had to replace all three plugs at less than 200hrs. One was good, one was open, and the third was a dead short. Mine cost about $80 for three.

/ How to test Glow Plugs
Thanks for the help guys, my dealer is saying $40 a piece so I guess I need to find someone online

/ How to test Glow Plugs #6  
It's good to patronize your local dealer, you might talk to him about his price and give him a chance to respond.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #7  
zippy215 said:
Thanks for the help guys, my dealer is saying $40 a piece so I guess I need to find someone online
I tried looking online for mine. Even on the NGK site my glow plugs don't exist. The listing skips right over my numbers. Apparently NGK made a deal with Mahindra for certain glow plugs which are only available from the dealer. I could find no cross references anywhere so had to go to dealer.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #8  
George2615 said:
I tried looking online for mine. Even on the NGK site my glow plugs don't exist. The listing skips right over my numbers. Apparently NGK made a deal with Mahindra for certain glow plugs which are only available from the dealer. I could find no cross references anywhere so had to go to dealer.

Mitsubishi likes to be "special" on some items. I think the glow plug prices have come down a little from Mahindra on the 2015 and 2615. About $30 each. Still too much, but better than $40 each. At least you have no points or plugs, no carb, no spark plugs or wires, etc. Overall, a diesel is still cheap to keep running even with a glowplug failure every once in a while.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #9  
around $30 a piece?? My dealer just quoted me $73.00 per glow plug for my 2015 hst.

/ How to test Glow Plugs #10  
around $30 a piece?? My dealer just quoted me $73.00 per glow plug for my 2015 hst.

List is $32.15 now, plus any shipping if the dealer does not stock the item. He may be looking at old prices as they were really high in the past. Many dealers of all brands will charge a little over list price, but I'd think $35 should buy you a glowplug from any dealer.

I bet your dealer has them on the shelf and had marked them at $70 back in the day when he was paying $60+ for them. Ask him to look up new prices.