Mahindra 575 PTO shaft

/ Mahindra 575 PTO shaft #1  

Tim Stuart

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck
:mad: Guys I was hoping one of you could give me some insight on what I am facing to put the PTO back into my Mahindra 575. I have a PTO drive shaft from my brush hog stuck on my PTO output of my tractor. So being a pretty day yesterday I figured I would go out and get it off. The brush hog PTO shaft is one of the older style push button releases on it and the button was gone. I took a punch and tried pushing in where the button was but that did not work. The PTO tractor output has a metal shield that goes around it to keep debris and shirt sleeves ect.. out. From getting caught in the u joint on the drive shaft. The shield was held on by 3 nuts that were finger tight so I thought that I would get that out of the way so I could see the push button lock mechanism on the drive shaft. So I removed them with my fingers and took the shield out of the way. I than oiled up the pto splines so I could get the drive shaft off, I started to pull against the drive shaft with my bare hands and the whole PTO shaft came out of the tractor and I when over backwards on my *****. Than it seem like 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid went pouring out on me. The 3 nuts, what I thought was holding the PTO cover shield on was in fact holding the entire PTO shaft in the tractor. I than get up off the ground holding the PTO shaft out of my tractor in my hand. I tried to stick it back in but I could not feel the hole on the inside of the tractor that the pto shaft slides into. So I thought I had tore enough stuff up for the day So I just stop. This happed so fast it was like a bad cartoon. (To me) My question is does anybody know what it will take to get the PTO shaft back in the tractor correctly? Will I have to split the tractor? Does anybody have any diagrams?

/ Mahindra 575 PTO shaft #2  
Tim Stuart said:
My question is does anybody know what it will take to get the PTO shaft back in the tractor correctly? Will I have to split the tractor? Does anybody have any diagrams?

Tim,
My PTO shaft on my Ford 3055 came out once while using the mower. The shaft seal and bearing assy. came apart. I bought new parts and tried to install the shaft. But kept hitting a thrust washer that floats in place. I was told to put grease on the washer with a long screwdriver. Get a good light and look to see if that is the case here. The washer will float around and the grease will hold it in place long enough to install the shaft. I guess next time you take off the shield, you will reinstall the bolts.;)
I hope this helps.:)
hugs, Brandi