4530 is sick and needs doctor

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #1  

geared4play

Tractor
Mahindra 4530
Hello everyone.

I am a novice to world of farm tractors as well as heavy equipment. I decided to purchase a tractor to help me out with landscaping of my property as well as some farming and other helpful uses in which a tractor is useful. Well, In October or 2007, I purchased and took ownership of a Mahindra 4530? I did some big time earth moving and leveling. I was impressed with the power and ease of use and I felt good about my decision in choosing a Mahindra. WITH 43 Hrs on this machine, I am now encountering issues with my tractor. Below are the facts.

Purchased Tractor from out of state dealer great customer service and price but over 700 miles away. Saved $ 2000.00 with out of state dealer.

Local dealer 100 miles away but units were overpriced and sales person not very friendly. Dealer advised that if I bought elsewhere he would not honor Mahindra Warranty. He actually told me he will not service the tractor if I did not buy from him.

Tractor sputtering is getting worse.. After 20 min warm up with throttle at 1200 rpms tractor starts to sputter and spits white smoke. Turn off tractor for about 2 min then start tractor everything sounds good then after about 3 min sputtering begins when cold tractor warms up fine with no problems but after 20 min of warm up tractor start to sputter and blow white smoke.

Out of state dealer sent blue KSB relay for replacement sputtering and white smoke still occur. Out of state Dealer advised that injection timing probably needed to be advanced. Out of state Dealer advised Ruben from Mahindra talked to my local dealer. And I should call local dealer to see when he can look at my tractor.

Called local dealer, he advised that he is booked for 3 to 4 weeks servicing his customers. Advised me to call back in 3 weeks to see if he is able to work on my tractor.. (sounds like a brush off to me, I could be wrong)

Tractor is now getting sicker experiencing loss of power possible fuel contamination. With local dealer possibly giving me the brush off I think I am going to have to clean out fuel tank and lines myself? But wondering how hard is it to take of the fuel tank. Did notice some rust under the gas cap. Drained fuel from primary and secondary filters but looks like fuel and not water to me. I will probably have to take the Mahindra to a local tractor repair shop about 2 miles from home for fuel injection timing.

I am asking the Mahindra community for help and suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #2  
Sorry to hear about your problems. It does sound like the injector timing might be off. I know that Brenda from customer service monitors the board but why don't you send her off an e-mail. Not sure what she can do but at this point any help is better than none.--Ed

Brenda Bradshaw---- brenda.bradshaw@mahindrausa.com

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #3  
I suggest you contact Mahindra directly. Try to get in touch with your regional rep. They should be able to resolve your problem. Also might try the hotline to get someone at Mahindra's attention.
I wouldn't let anyone other than a Mahindra dealer work on the tractor.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #4  
Not knowing anything thing other than what you have posted, I would advise that you wait until you can schedule an appointment with the dealer. He truly may have a 3 week back log...or it may be a brush off...who knows at this point?

Make your appointment then later figure out if you need to call Mahindra.

If you try get headquarters involved right now they will not be able to force you to the head of the line. They will not over ride a dealer's telling you you must wait 3 weeks until there is an opening.

It sure won't sweeten your relationship with the locals.
Be patient wait the time then let us know what is going on!

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #5  
fastgun said:
Not knowing anything thing other than what you have posted, I would advise that you wait until you can schedule an appointment with the dealer. He truly may have a 3 week back log...or it may be a brush off...who knows at this point?

Make your appointment then later figure out if you need to call Mahindra.

If you try get headquarters involved right now they will not be able to force you to the head of the line. They will not over ride a dealer's telling you you must wait 3 weeks until there is an opening.

It sure won't sweeten your relationship with the locals.
Be patient wait the time then let us know what is going on!

I agree and disagree with you. Yes I don't believe it would be a great idea to get local dealer in a foul mood. On the other hand Mahindra should be a little upset with the fact that he is telling people that if you did not buy it here I will not do warranty work.

As far as getting Mahindra involved, they may have a technician in the area that could possibly stop in and look at the tractor. If it is a problem with the injector timing it is their problem. This is not the first time we have heard of timing problems from the factory.

By sending Brenda an e-mail it will get the cogs moving a little faster than just waiting 4 weeks. I'll tell ya if I had a brand new $20k machine sitting with afactory problem I would not be waiting 4 weeks to have it looked at.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #6  
Was it really a $2000 savings and did that include a sales tax savings? If so, did you legally avoid the tax or did you evade the tax? Is the distant dealer one that specializes in high volume internet sales (please do NOT mention any names) and is eager to ship into another dealers area regardless of service ramifications? If so, do you think that knowing he is not ever going to see you again he may not have checked the timing and a few other basics before he shipped the tractor? Is the cheaper dealer real close to the distribution point and therefore has cheaper inbound freight? I really do not want to see any names or even tell us what state you bought from, but I would like to know a little more about the purchase because it might help us understand your local dealers attitude.

I say these things not so much for you, but for others to consider. Sometimes your local dealer is making the same profit as the "volume internet" type dealer, but you end up paying more because he spends more time on the set-up (and adds a little to the price to cover his labor) and he charges sales tax.

And yes, the timing or the KSB is the issue. One easy solution is to rent a trailer and haul it back to the original dealer. He can fix it in an hour or so and you can haul it back. It would take less than three weeks.

One last thing, if the cheaper dealer is really top notch, and the close dealer is just a greedy guy with bitterness towards you, then let us know and we will try our best to walk you through a solution.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #7  
I'm by no means very educated on this and don't have a clue what a KSB even is but the first thing I would check is the filter and bowl for water. I have had very similar symptoms several times and it was as simple as new fuel and filter. Just a thought before you have to end up hauling the tractor 100-200 miles + down time.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #8  
It does sound like a fuel filter. Much cheaper to start there.

/ 4530 is sick and needs doctor #10  
That's what I was going to say fuel filter/water in fuel.
Typical of the white smoke. Plus if it runs for the first few minutes I don't think it would be the injector timing ...it might not run at all if that was the case? Might as well check your air filter too. Like Dave said, start with the basics.