Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH?

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #1  

Carr73

Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I am brand new to tractors. We just purchased 8 acres and a 3215. In the manual for every implement that I bought They "Howse" said to put the hitch in the "float" mode. My tractor has the position lever and A knob that controls the down speed of the hitch. I was wondering if I opened that valve all the way, like to drop the hitch real quick, would that be like floating the hitch!!!!!! The tractor is great and I am learning quick.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #2  
The hitch should float, as there is no down pressure. You can verify when you hook up an implement, if the hitch is a little too low, you can lift up to hook the implement. Thus it is floating. I've been able to leave the valve at one setting that seems to work well for any of my implements as well as when their off. The rate of drop is approximately the same. Sort of a happy medium setting.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #3  
That's pretty much it... ...Push the lever all the way forward, and you're "floating."

And with the drop speed knob, I rarely touch mine either. The best way to set it is to lift the hitch all the way up, close the valve, push the lever all the way forward (float), and slowly open the drop speed knob until it drops at a satisfactory rate. Since all your implements are roughly close in weight, your all set.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH?
So you are saying all the way forward is float? I know the FEL has a float mode all the way forward also. It does float too. I just wondered how the 3PH floated. The howse manual said the box blade will follow your land contours in float mode. A friends JD has a switch that turns his to float mode. He still has the lever though. Thanks for all replies

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #5  
I'm pretty sure it will float in most any position. You can try it without an implement attached. Try to lift up on the arm, you should be able to lift them manually just by picking up on them by hand. it may be a little easier when warm, as you may be displacing some hydro fluid.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #6  
This is kinda confusing.
In terms of you front-end loader, float is all the way forward (down). That position allows the bucket to go up and down with the contour of the ground. Its like a "neutral position"

In terms of the 3 point, Its kinda the same thing. By "float" they mean the implement will follow the contour of the ground. BUT, picture this. If you're using a box blade and you have the position control lever at half-way, the box blade will drag on the ground, but if you go into a dip (uneven ground) the 3 point won't go any lower than that height, and won't follow the ground.

So yes, the 3 point will "float" from any position, but won't float down unless the lever is all the way forward. The "fully-forward" position allows the implement to go below grade.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #7  
Your 3PH has no down pressure as the loader does, thus for it is always in a float position. When you raise the lever it sets a position where you set it and it will not go any lower than where you set it, but if something pushes your implement up it will go up and back down to your set position. Thus the 3PH is always in a float position, except all the way up.

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #8  
You guys explained it better than I did!:D

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH?
Thanks for everyone's answers. I understand what ya'll are saying but am still confused as to why some tractors have a float switch and why the Howse manuals say to put the hitch in float mode. Maybe my friends 3PH will not float up without the switch on. His may have a different valve or something. The good thing is that my buddy doesn't like using the float mode. Thanks again

/ Brand new 3215 How do you "float" the 3PH? #10  
My Ford 8N had a "Float" lever that you were supposed to flip on when you were plowing. I have a reprint of the tractor manual that told me so but I couldn't figure that it did anything different than just putting the position control all the way down. They must have stopped putting them on tractors since it doesn't have a purpose.