Tires Ag tires or Industrial tires?

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #1  

dlearyfun

I am close to deciding to buy the Mahindra 5530 that I checked out recently but am not sure about which tires to get. A friend who works on a farm suggested ag tires for better traction in snow moving which is one of main things I plan on using the beast for. I have seen pictures on this site however of a number of tractors fitted with industrial tires and they seemed to have a pretty aggressive tread pattern which you would think would work well in snow. Another reason I am leaning to R4 is the footprint seems to be much larger than R1 and given the very heavy weight of the 5530 would distribute the weight of the tractor over a larger area. This is an issue with me as I am concerned about the weight of the tractor in my barn. The floor of my barn seems to have pretty strong and large wood planks, however four tons plus is quite a load. Another reason for a bigger footprint would be working on wet ground. Here in Maine, mud season can last awhile especially after a big snow season which this year certainly is. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ideas would be very much appreciated.

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #2  
Typically if you are in mud very much, ags would be the way to go. You will have about 25-30% more traction with the ag tires. Yes the industrials will spread the weight out so that you have less psi on the ground, not sure if that is what you want in the mud. Plus ags are taller. Taller is better when it comes to mud. Now all of this from a guy that has industrial tires, hopefully some others will give their opinions also.

Good luck with your decision.

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #3  
I agree with Brian, ags are the way to go with lots of mud. My R4's aren't good at all in mud and I doubt they'd be much good in snow either. The lugs look aggressive but aren't as tall/deep as the ag tires, the mud fills the gaps real quick on R4's. The R4's are much better if you cut grass though, even in 4wd my tractor doesn't damage my 6 acre "yard" if it's not wet and usually won't make any ruts even if it is wet. Another plus for the R4's is the compound seems tougher - I have yet to puncture a rear tire and I'm in the woods alot and throw sharp rocks when cutting grass. I have cut a front tire doing loader work in the creeks on the rocks but never a rear. The R4's are a must for alot of loader work - that footprint helps and the sidewalls are much stiffer/stronger for the increased loads. It's a trade-off with tires, hope you pick what suits you best.

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #4  
dlearyfun said:
I am close to deciding to buy the Mahindra 5530 that I checked out recently but am not sure about which tires to get. A friend who works on a farm suggested ag tires for better traction in snow moving which is one of main things I plan on using the beast for. I have seen pictures on this site however of a number of tractors fitted with industrial tires and they seemed to have a pretty aggressive tread pattern which you would think would work well in snow. Another reason I am leaning to R4 is the footprint seems to be much larger than R1 and given the very heavy weight of the 5530 would distribute the weight of the tractor over a larger area. This is an issue with me as I am concerned about the weight of the tractor in my barn. The floor of my barn seems to have pretty strong and large wood planks, however four tons plus is quite a load. Another reason for a bigger footprint would be working on wet ground. Here in Maine, mud season can last awhile especially after a big snow season which this year certainly is. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ideas would be very much appreciated.
Footprint area is directly related to the pressure in the tires, so will be almost exactly the same when running the same tire pressures. Actually, pressure for pressure the industrial footprint will be smaller because of the stiffer carcass. The AG however, is much more likely to disturb the ground due to the more widely spaced intense pressure points caused by the aggressive cleating. This provides great traction on moderately unified soils like turf or tilled ground - also in deep snow. When they spin they self clean, maintaining traction as they dig to where they can get a better hold. The AGs have a longer footprint and are intended to be run softer. Their larger diameter and more gradual curvature adds to traction, and also gives the advantage of being able to roll up and over obstacles more easily and with less of a bump.
The Industrials are somewhat superior on highly unified and very poorly unified bases such as hardpack and sand. At equal pressure there is more area of rubber actually touching the ground on hardpack and the stiff carcass stabilizes the tread resisting it folding over under high push load. On sand the relatively smooth thread pattern holds the sand down more uniformely than the AG, consolidating it as it pushes ahead. The Industrial traction advantage in these cases is small however. The real advantages are that its smoothness causes less marking on turf and, combined with the tuffer carcass, allows it to resist damage from sharp debris. These are also capable of, and intended to be run at higher pressure, giving greater load carry ability. If you are carrying heavy loads very far very much this leans you toward the industrials. If not, max pressure in the AGs will handle it while enabling you to apply significantly more force with your tractor. The AG setup gives more and wider tracking width adjustment to aid stability as well.

You will surely not be mowing your lawn with a 5530. The AGs will probably offer too many advantages elsewhere.
Whichever you get, it will probably be very new rubber - not really fully cured. The rubber will harden some and become tuffer over the 1st year or so. All of the cuts in my AGs on the 7520 occurred in the 1st summer season.
larry

Last edited:
   / Ag tires or Industrial tires? #5  
The R1's are going to give you better traction in mud or snow. If you are worried about falling thru your barn floor.................I wouldn't be driving any tractor in there whether equiped with R1's or R4's. I would think the ground pressure between the two type tires would be minimal.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #6  
dirtworksequip said:
The R1's are going to give you better traction in mud or snow. If you are worried about falling thru your barn floor.................I wouldn't be driving any tractor in there whether equiped with R1's or R4's. I would think the ground pressure between the two type tires would be minimal.

Sincerely, Dirt
All the pros and cons of R1s and R4s have been stated. I love my Ag tires, as they get me in and out of more holes. My backhoe sits higher with the R1s, so my backhoe has a better departure angle when playing in really big deep holes. The only thing I like about the R4s is the greater weight carrying ability.
My ground is so soft, either tire would tear it. I also will buy chervons treads for my zero turn lawn mower as the turf tires spin all too often in my soft earth. Just last weekend my 6520 had to pull the mower out of spin stuck spots 3 times.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #7  
bindian said:
My backhoe sits higher with the R1s, so my backhoe has a better departure angle when playing in really big deep holes.

Good point, I never thought of it that way. I prefer the AG (chevron) tires for my mower, etc... as well.

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #8  
Sounds like most of your tractor use will be where R1's will give you an advantage. I have only had experience with R1's on two different tractors both with FEL's. Half the time the tractor is in the woods and the rest is spent on dirt roads and occasionally on paved roads.

I friend had a tractor with R4's and found that in snow over 6" they filled up and offered little traction, the same was true for mud. Both my tractors rear tires are loaded which adds weight and traction. On compacted dry ground they leave a slight print. The front tires are lawn killers when making sharp turns the rear tires don't sink in much at all.

I have not seen them but did hear of an R1W which is a wider version that offers a little less ground pressure without sacrificing a great deal of traction.

Randy

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #9  
i'm going through the same 'thought process'. found this site to be helpful, as well as a 'blackle search' for 'r1 ag tires'.

Firestone - Choose Language

rebb

/ Ag tires or Industrial tires? #10  
MtnViewRanch said:
Typically if you are in mud very much, ags would be the way to go. You will have about 25-30% more traction with the ag tires. Yes the industrials will spread the weight out so that you have less psi on the ground, not sure if that is what you want in the mud. Plus ags are taller. Taller is better when it comes to mud. Now all of this from a guy that has industrial tires, hopefully some others will give their opinions also.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree, think about how a Dulley truck is in the mud..or wet grass...not worth a crap. :)

I'm an Ag man.