Mahindra hydraulics question

/ Mahindra hydraulics question #1  

parttimemechanic

I have a Mahindra 3325. The control valve in the hydraulics is sticking, which causes the 3 point lift to go up but not come down. I am replacing the hydraulic control valve assembly.

My problem is the following. In order to remove the old hydraulics control valve assembly, the linkage needs to be detached and removed with it. According to the service manual, to do this, a "cross tube" that is connected to the linkage needs to be removed. The cross tube is mounted to two pivots on either end of the tube inside the hydraulic lift housing. The question is: how do you remove the pivots for the cross tube? The service manual merely states that a special Mahindra tool is required. However, the parts deparment at the dealer has never heard of this (even when given the part number that is set forth in the service manual), and the service technician at the dealer states (over the telephone) that he does not use any special tools and believes he has used a flat wrench to remove the pivots. This does not make any sense... there are no nuts. The pivot connection can be seen on the outside of the hydraulic housing. I assume this connection extends inside the housing where the pivot extends inside the end of the cross tube. On the outside of the hydraulic housing, the pivot connection looks like a round plug or bushing with two small holes in it. I assume there is a way to insert something in the holes and unscrew the plug, but I am not sure it even unscrews. I am assuming this type of pivot connection is used on other tractors and other Mahindra models. Has anyone disassembled such a pivot connection?

/ Mahindra hydraulics question
Turns out a spanner wrench is needed to turn on the pivots.

By the way, I found this out by emailing the Mahindra importer (via the Mahindra Tractor - Compact tractors, utility tractors, farm tractors, ag tractors, attachments, implements & farm equipment - all built tough! web site). They called me within three hours of the email to assess the problem and then called me back within the hour to walk me through the entire repair. Incredible. They even explained an approach that is simplier than the one that involves removing the pivots. I have never experienced such excellent customer service with any product that I have owned, especially a tractor. I will definitely take this into account when I purchase a new tractor.

/ Mahindra hydraulics question #3  
parttimemechanic said:
Turns out a spanner wrench is needed to turn on the pivots.

By the way, I found this out by emailing the Mahindra importer (via the Mahindra Tractor - Compact tractors, utility tractors, farm tractors, ag tractors, attachments, implements & farm equipment - all built tough! web site). They called me within three hours of the email to assess the problem and then called me back within the hour to walk me through the entire repair. Incredible. They even explained an approach that is simplier than the one that involves removing the pivots. I have never experienced such excellent customer service with any product that I have owned, especially a tractor. I will definitely take this into account when I purchase a new tractor.
That would be the tech guy in Tomball. I gather by the quick response, he was in the shop/office when you contacted them. He is a real sweety. He just doesn't like his name used. So call him.........he who shall remain nameless.......or HWSRN for short.
Glad you got the answers you needed.
hugs, Brandi

/ Mahindra hydraulics question #4  
I guess you replaced the valve already. Would you like a spare? Get an o-ring kit for the valve. Remove the spool, get a roll of 240 grit emery cloth. I prefer a lathe, but you can do this in a good drill press. Lock one side in, spin at medium rpm, hold the cloth by the ends, and let it run over the spool while spinning. Flip it around and do the side that was in the chuck. Now see if it travels freely in the valve body. Repeat this process until it does. You may bypass a little fluid if you go too far, but I have done this successfully.

/ Mahindra hydraulics question
Thanks for the information regarding how to repair a sticky control valve. On this job, I replaced the entire control valve assembly. This approach was absolutely more expensive, but I wanted to make sure it all worked when I put the hydraulics system back together. Now that I have more confidence, I will use your technique next time (hopefully there will not be a next time).