5525 missing/smoking

/ 5525 missing/smoking #1  

magyarbacsi

Silver Member
Some time back I wrote about the first concirn with my 5525 as it began ti miss and smoke under load. I put on two more hours of heavy work and could not duplicate the problem, so i guess it fixed itself or was just a pemporary issue. I still dont think it is as strong as my older 165 Massey with similar horse power rating. I think when the warranty is up, I'll play with the fuel delivery and maybe advance the timing or just leave it be. Anyway, it seems to be fine so I'm satisfied for the time being.

/ 5525 missing/smoking
My laptop battery was flashing and I was in a hurry. Just saw all the mistakes. Oh wel, the message is there.

/ 5525 missing/smoking #3  
Take it to your dealer and see if it may need the timing adjusted on it. I know recently we had a 5525 come in from the factory that needed adjusting.

I would definitely let your dealer look at it while the warranty is still available. There could be several things causing it to miss and smoke which would make it seem underpowered.

/ 5525 missing/smoking
This week I finally got to put the 5525 through some tough tasks. A past windstorm blew over some fairly large trees, thr biggest a 75 yr old spruce wit a 4.5 ft diameter that ended up in acreek. We got a log miller to respond, but my son and I had to recover the trunks and haul it up to him. We ended up with 9 sections, some as lng as 20'. The portable mill could only handle tunks up to 4500#. We had to use at times my Massey to assist pulling 20' trunks up hill out of the creek as the wheels on the Mahindra began to dig holes as the creek bed was rather soft. Anyway, with 18 hrs on the clock and some rather straneous tasks perfomed the Mahindra never missed a beat, did not cut out or smoke. I checked the timing marks and it is right on even so did not bother to do the slight advance as it was not needed.
So whatever the one time incident with smoke and missing was, di not happen aggain. Perhaps some contaminant in the fuel that passe through and now is gone.

The only anoying thing is the shifting. At dead dtop, the gears still have some problem engaging without some grind. I checked the free play and it was in specs.The book calls for 1/2" of free peddal. If I double clutch, sometimes it helps. Sometime shifts ok and at time no matter how careful, still grinds and fuel consumption is more than the Massey for the same running time. I can run the Massey, bush hogging for 7 hrs at 1400 rpm and about 3 gal. I think if I can get the idle down to 750-800 the shifting would bee smoother.I know it is set at factory to 900 and will see if lowering it is possible.

/ 5525 missing/smoking #5  
magyarbacsi said:
.... I think if I can get the idle down to 750-800 the shifting would bee smoother.I know it is set at factory to 900 and will see if lowering it is possible.

If I'm not mistaken, that engine should idle at about 825rpm (+/- a couple rpm). do you have your rear tires filled?? BobG in VA

/ 5525 missing/smoking #6  
magyarbacsi said:
This week I finally got to put the 5525 through some tough tasks. A past windstorm blew over some fairly large trees, thr biggest a 75 yr old spruce wit a 4.5 ft diameter that ended up in acreek. We got a log miller to respond, but my son and I had to recover the trunks and haul it up to him. We ended up with 9 sections, some as lng as 20'. The portable mill could only handle tunks up to 4500#. We had to use at times my Massey to assist pulling 20' trunks up hill out of the creek as the wheels on the Mahindra began to dig holes as the creek bed was rather soft. Anyway, with 18 hrs on the clock and some rather straneous tasks perfomed the Mahindra never missed a beat, did not cut out or smoke. I checked the timing marks and it is right on even so did not bother to do the slight advance as it was not needed.
So whatever the one time incident with smoke and missing was, di not happen aggain. Perhaps some contaminant in the fuel that passe through and now is gone.

The only anoying thing is the shifting. At dead dtop, the gears still have some problem engaging without some grind. I checked the free play and it was in specs.The book calls for 1/2" of free peddal. If I double clutch, sometimes it helps. Sometime shifts ok and at time no matter how careful, still grinds and fuel consumption is more than the Massey for the same running time. I can run the Massey, bush hogging for 7 hrs at 1400 rpm and about 3 gal. I think if I can get the idle down to 750-800 the shifting would bee smoother.I know it is set at factory to 900 and will see if lowering it is possible.

Interesting. I have a new 5525 with the ML250 FEL (bought last March) and a 1964 MF-135 diesel that I picked up in July06.

You''re right about gear grinding on the 5525. It happens sometimes when I'm in a hurry, especially when using the FEL. If I slow myself down, let the tractor come to a stop and double clutch, I have no problem. I rarely grind the gears now. The tranny in the 5525 is pretty basic and has to be handled with some care.

I bought the 5525 for the heavy haying tasks (plowing, discing, haying). I'll remove the FEL and load the rear tires in Sep when plowing season arrives (assuming the drought outlook is better then). The MF-135 will handle the lighter chores (grain drill, cultipacker, mower, rake). You're right about fuel economy. Those super efficient Perkins diesels are what you need when you have $5/gal fuel.

/ 5525 missing/smoking #7  
If it is very cold in your area you might try using a lighter gear oil . What happens is that the thick oil becomes even thicker with the cold and slows the spinning gears down too quickly . By the time you go for the gear the mainshaft is nearly stationary which causes the grinding . To test this try skip shifting , say from 2nd to 4th missing 3rd . If it goes in easy it is as i said .