2015 - Gear or HST

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #1  

Chris86303

Tractor
in the process of buying
Hi Everyone,

I have been studying all the great posts here while wading through the maze of different model numbers and manufacturers trying to decide on which small tractor would fit my needs.

I just need it for around the house clean up when we get big storms down here in Arizona (during our monsoon season) and I need the backhoe for a couple of ditches that always fill up with runoff and silt.

With my research and all the great posts I've read here I have narrowed my choice down to a 2015 with FEL and 2710 Backhoe. The backhoe will be off 90 percent of the time so it will just be the FEL with tires loaded since I am not lift or moving a great deal of weight very high off the ground and I need the room (without anything sticking out of the back) to get between my house and hillside at a 90 degree angle. I probably won't ever need a different attachment for the back end of the tractor except for the backhoe because I don't have any grass or fields to mow or snow to plow.

About the only thing I haven't been able to figure out from your posts or my research is which transmission, gear or HST would be the best choice. I'm leaning toward the HST just because of the hilly terrain around here so I'm not on the clutch all the time. But, there is that $1300.00 difference.

So, If I can impose my question on anyone that would care to reply, in your opinion which is better for overall ease of operation, maneuverability and wear and tear and longevity, gears or HST, not taking into account the difference in money.

Thanks for your input..

Chris

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #2  
I have the gear and enjoy it and for loader work I don't mind shifting. However if I had a lot of back and forth to do I would get the HST.

Generally I use 2nd gear High range for travel and then 2nd low for loading, then back to high range.

I've never had a dual range HST so I will leave that to others to answer.

Overall I am happy with the gear but mowing I wish I had a HST.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #3  
Chris86303 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have been studying all the great posts here while wading through the maze of different model numbers and manufacturers trying to decide on which small tractor would fit my needs.

I just need it for around the house clean up when we get big storms down here in Arizona (during our monsoon season) and I need the backhoe for a couple of ditches that always fill up with runoff and silt.

With my research and all the great posts I've read here I have narrowed my choice down to a 2015 with FEL and 2710 Backhoe. The backhoe will be off 90 percent of the time so it will just be the FEL with tires loaded since I am not lift or moving a great deal of weight very high off the ground and I need the room (without anything sticking out of the back) to get between my house and hillside at a 90 degree angle. I probably won't ever need a different attachment for the back end of the tractor except for the backhoe because I don't have any grass or fields to mow or snow to plow.

About the only thing I haven't been able to figure out from your posts or my research is which transmission, gear or HST would be the best choice. I'm leaning toward the HST just because of the hilly terrain around here so I'm not on the clutch all the time. But, there is that $1300.00 difference.

So, If I can impose my question on anyone that would care to reply, in your opinion which is better for overall ease of operation, maneuverability and wear and tear and longevity, gears or HST, not taking into account the difference in money.

Thanks for your input..

Chris

I'd get the HST. The 2015 with the 20 hp engine/18 hp pto is a sub-CUT that's good for general utility work (toting stuff with the FEL, backhoe work, rototilling, box blade, rotary mower). It's too small to do serious tillage work, which is where 2WD might be an advantage.

I had a Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (4 ft bucket) that I used for three years to do a lot of utility chores during and after my new house was built (landscape rototilling, excavation with the FEL and box blade for paver block patio and walkways, moving fill dirt, sand and gravel around the 10-acre property). The HST was great for that type of work.

Now I'm planning to do haying on 7 acres. Last March I traded that 7510HST as part of a deal for a new Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket).

DSCF0062Small-1.jpg

DSCF0061Small.jpg

Now I have the right size tractor for plowing, discing, running a hay baler, etc.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #4  
I'd go with the HST......it's about 150# heavier, with the type of work you are talking about doing (almost all loader work) it will be a lot easier to go back and forth without shifting. Plus the Live PTO is better if you do ever get any PTO driven implements later on.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #5  
Chris86303 said:
Hi Everyone,
.About the only thing I haven't been able to figure out from your posts or my research is which transmission, gear or HST would be the best choice. I'm leaning toward the HST just because of the hilly terrain around here so I'm not on the clutch all the time. But, there is that $1300.00 difference.

Thanks for your input..

Chris

I have a 2015HST and when working with the loader, which is what I use it most for, it's fantastic. It's easy to operate the loader while just stepping on a pedal. There are some other nice things I like about the 2015. With it's smaller track size it's easier to get in and out (and around) fenced in areas and through trees. I keep it in 4 wheel drive in the summer and it treads nicely on my lawn, nice enough that I now use it as my primary mower. So far after 1 year of ownership, it's been flawless other than routine maintenance. Hope that helps.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am sold on the HST after a demo I did at the dealer.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #7  
IMHO, I would go with the gear drive. I have a 2615 gear drive and love it. I do everything with it, disc, plow snow, plow food plots, brush hog, etc, and the tractor has never left me down. I would check into the 2615 line up, its a little larger but it may be worth it. Either way though, you will be satisfied with a Mahindra! Good luck in you decision.

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #8  
I've ran gearshifts all my life, But this time I listened to the wife and got the 2615hst What an animal for it's size! I love it!

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #9  
mbohuntr said:
I've ran gearshifts all my life, But this time I listened to the wife and got the 2615hst What an animal for it's size! I love it!
The 2615 is more of a manimal, than an animal. :)

/ 2015 - Gear or HST #10  
Just as a heads up... It's not likely that you will end up with the 2710 on it. More likely it will be the 1710, as it is now being fitted on that tractor rather than the 2710. It should be available in the next several weeks.