How many hours till a Mahindra is toast?

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I wondered what hours would indicate a worn out tractor. I have a Farmall Super C and I can't begin to guess the hours. I don't run it much. I also have a Mahindra and wonder the hours when considered worn out? As cars in the "old" days, 100,000 miles and look for a new one. Now that just seems to be the break in period.

Cheers Coffeeman

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #2  
Yeah, I've gto a Mahindra as well... I don't intend to use it much after I'm gone,,, but I'm pretty sure I've got a nephew that will be using it for another generation or two...so in retrospect, I don't expect mine to really last more than 5o or so years...pretty much the lifespan of your Super C (I've got a SC and a 230...) BobG in VA

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #3  
coffeeman said:
I wondered what hours would indicate a worn out tractor. I have a Farmall Super C and I can't begin to guess the hours. I don't run it much. I also have a Mahindra and wonder the hours when considered worn out? As cars in the "old" days, 100,000 miles and look for a new one. Now that just seems to be the break in period.

Cheers Coffeeman

No reason why a properly maintained and utilized Mahindra won't do as well as that Farmall. After all, Mahindra got into the tractor business in the 1960s by licensing IH's B414 tractor design. One hopes that Mahindra learned something from IH about building stout tractors. And Mahindra's tractor division has won several prestigious quality awards the past few years.

However, there is a thread running on TBN now about a Mahindra 4500 that put a rod through the block at 186 hours. I'm anxious to see how Mahindra and that particular customer work out that problem, since the warrenty period had recently ended prior to that catastrophic incident.

BTW: I bought a new Mahindra 5525 last March and expect that to be my last new tractor purchase (I'm 66 years old).

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast?
flusher said:
BTW: I bought a new Mahindra 5525 last March and expect that to be my last new tractor purchase (I'm 66 years old).

Don't want to hear that. I had a friend who worked the farm equipment into his 90s. You may surprise yourself and be tractor shopping at your 75th. Of course you could take care of the Mahindra and use $$ saved for that fishing boat, RV or even a race car. I think I read somewhere that Col Sanders started selling chicken in his 60s.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #5  
coffeeman said:
Don't want to hear that. I had a friend who worked the farm equipment into his 90s. You may surprise yourself and be tractor shopping at your 75th.

Cheers...Coffeeman

Could be. But I only put 80-100 hours per year on my tractors. I plan to start haying later this year so maybe I'll double that number. I'd expect the 5525 to run trouble free for at least 4000 hours. My 1964 MF-135 diesel that I bought in July06 has 4600 hours on it and is still going strong. These were fairly easy hours (mowing, discing in an olive orchard by the previous owner). I'll use that 5525 to plow 7 acres occasionally, but otherwise it'll be used for discing and running my MF-124 square baler every year. The MF-135 can handle the less demanding haying chores (sprayer, grain drill, cultipacker, sicklebar mower and the side delivery rake).

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #6  
Had I not sprug for the 7010 I would have over 1000 hours on the 6000. As it stands now she's right at 900 and still purring like a kitten.
Flusher, my neighbor was raking hay last year at 89! Tough old guy still riding around on his MF135 he bought new in the 70s. Hopefully you'll be doing the same. Or you may want to take the road I did and spring for the cab and air.

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #7  
We sell a lot of tractors to small acreage people that put 100 hours a year on, so we rarely see more than a few hundred hours accumulated so far on the smaller tractors. I'd say 3000-4000 hours on a small tractor would be comparable to 100,000 miles on a car. Meaning it will go double that with some care.

I sold 4 of the larger Mahindra's into an orchard operation 2 years ago. 2 were 6000 2wd, 2 were 7520 4x4. They put on 1000 hours/year so we are at about 2000 hours each and no issues of any significance. I am looking forward to watching these as they get into the 6000-10,000 hour range.

/ How many hours till a Mahindra is toast? #8  
I have the 4500 with 186 hours, but thanks to this website, Mahindra is having my dealer look at it. Hopefully they will take care of the problem. A dealer in Texas PM'd me to say they did have problems with a few tractors having a problem with rod caps. I'm no mechanic, so I don't know what this would be.

Now I am back to my old '78 MF230 with over 3600 hours. Aside from needing a steering cylinder seal (leaking fulid big time) and needing an alternator, it's still going strong. In the 12 years I've had it a radiator, water pump, and batteries have been my only repairs.