Mahindra 4005 hydraulics

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #1  

dnetherland

Tractor
Mahindra 4005
I have a 4005 with TAS loader. The hydraulics seem to be getting weak over the last several months. Loader lift capacity seems to be less and movement slower. Three point hitch seems slow and will let implements drift down if very heavy. I plan to change fluid and clean the screen (no filter) but I suspect the pump is bad. A new pump from the dealer is $700-$800. Can these pumps be rebuilt? Is it relatively easy to remove and reinstall for a rebuild or replacement.

Thanks
Don

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #2  
I have a 4005 with TAS loader. The hydraulics seem to be getting weak over the last several months. Loader lift capacity seems to be less and movement slower. Three point hitch seems slow and will let implements drift down if very heavy. I plan to change fluid and clean the screen (no filter) but I suspect the pump is bad. A new pump from the dealer is $700-$800. Can these pumps be rebuilt? Is it relatively easy to remove and reinstall for a rebuild or replacement.

Thanks
Don

As with most Mahindras (Indian built), the hyd pump is external (like the old IH tractors). My 6000 is external, that's why I made the statement...Now, if it is external, it should not be very difficult to take it off...literally a couple of lines and a couple of bolts...NOW, if you have power steering, there may be a second, in tandem, pump there for the PS. In that case, both need to come off as the main Hyd pump is the one nearest the engine case. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #3  
Before you start tearing the pump off, invest $30.00 or so in a gauge you can plug into one of your loader ports-then you will know what your pressure is and you can troubleshoot from there.

How long has it been since the fluid/screen was serviced?

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics
Kenny and Bob thanks for the advice. Kenny do you have a source for a pressure gauge. I checked Baum and grainger websites and couldn't seem to find one.

Thanks
Don

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #5  
How about 3 sources?

DHH
Surplus Center
And TSC if you have one nearby...

You want a 0-3000 PSI Liquid filled gauge, a short hose (mine is 12" but 24" would be better) and a QD nipple that will fit into one of your loader ports.

Here is pic of mine:

Attachments

• DSC04084.JPG
    DSC04084.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 384
Thanks Kenny. Ordered gauge and hose today.

Don

Well after changing fluid and cleaning screen hydraulics seemed better but when planting I noted after the tractor got hot the three point hitch would lift my planter but then drift down after a few minutes. I finally got around to plugging in a pressure gauge and when i work the loader or the remote outlets pressure will go up to about 1800 psi and then quickly drift down to 800 psi and stabilize. If I keep working the hydraulics max pressure falls to about 1600 psi and drifts down to 600 psi. Manual says max pressure should be 2400-2600 psi. Fluid is clean and I see no major leaks. It sounds like the pump is going bad but I would appreciate any input before I spend $800 dollars on a new pump.

Thanks
DN

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #8  
Just curious, How many hours is on your tractor?

Travis R

It has about 800 hours. Too few to have the pump to fail but when I changed the fluid the first time I noticed a fair amount of metal on the screen. My thoughts are that the rapid leak down must be due to internal failure of the pump or failure of a pressure relief valve. There is a fast, slow control on the hydraulics which I would think acts as a pressure relief valve. I've cleaned it and set it to the fast setting and it has made no difference. I don't think it is the pressure relief on the loader since the three point lift and auxillary hydraulics are affected as well. Any other things I should check before changing the pump.

Thanks
Don

/ Mahindra 4005 hydraulics #10  
The Loader is the first loop in the system, so if you had a little debris stuck in the loader relief valve, that could cause a problem in the whole system.