Bad news, Good News & ??Huh??

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #1  

Maine_Polack

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD
6500 4WD. 500 hrs.

Bad News:
Had to change the battery out, and noticed cracks in the heavy cast piece that the front steering mounts under, and the battery and radiator sit on top of. There was a crack on both sides, in the same place, and even the same shape to them. (See attachments).

More Bad News:
Warranty has run out.

Neutral News:
Called Mahindra and was told that I had to go through a dealer, and who the dealer should contact once they accessed the situation. Possibility that it might fit under the heading of a "Goodwill" repair.

Good and Real Good News:
The tractor was purchased 700 miles away, so that dealer was out. I had tried to purchase it at a local dealer. (Fairfield Me.) Nasty people who - because I entered negotiations on the purchase armed with some other quotes - in so many words told me I was not welcomed there anymore. (Go figure. I guess I had my dickerin' etiquette all discombobulated.) Anyway, I would not even want to deal with those people, so that was out.
Turns out that Greenway Equipment in Bangor Me. had just - in the past couple of months - taken on the Mahindra tractors. So that was good news. Spoke to a couple of people there, including the service manager, about my problem. They all said that it was no problem where the tractor was purchased, they would take care of it. (Nice to deal with a company that actually uses common sense and cares about your business!) So that was real good news.

Very Good News:
Talked to the service manager, (Jeff), and we got things rolling. He would relay my info and pictures to the man at Mahindra to see what he thought. Within a couple of days all was settled. Mahindra answered back that indeed it would be covered under "Goodwill".

??HUH?? News:
While setting up an appointment to repair, Jeff told me that the part was in, and Mahindra charged almost $500 to ship it. ??HUH??:eek:
The piece, (Pic 4), measures 20" x 22". It is "hollow", (if that describes it), with wings and protrusions for mounts etc. It is cast, and is heavy. Shipped, I assume, from Texas to Maine.

I have had a few things -heavy- shipped before and this just seems a pretty exhorbinate price. I would think that $100 - $125 would have covered it. Realistically, with the inflated prices that companies use for shipping, $200 would not have surprised me. But...$500 did very much surprise me! But... I got the piece for nothing!:rolleyes: My initial reaction is that it was quite devious on Mahindra's part. In my mind it would have been perhaps better to say, up front, that I was going to be charged $500. They could have said that it would take care of shipping and some of their costs, or however they wanted to word it. This way just seems very deceitful on their part. Am I being unfairly ungrateful?

The repair was made and all seems well. Just wanted to share this with all of you. Thanks.
Al

Attachments

• Right Side 5 (Large).jpg
    Right Side 5 (Large).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Left  Side 3 (Large).jpg
    Left Side 3 (Large).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 305
  • Left Side 4 (Large).jpg
    Left Side 4 (Large).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_6856 (Medium).jpg
    100_6856 (Medium).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 399
   / Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #2  
By the sounds you were treated well compare to what it might have cost also the down time.

In a way I to thought something might have been said about shipping

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #3  
Was that for overnight, before 10 am delivery? :D :D and Does that include return freight? I does seem high. Are they sure it wasn't the cost of it + delivery? Ask what the part costs just by itself.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #4  
I think you been done dirty.....a year ago, I had over 200 lbs of elk meat shipped air freight overnight (frozen) from Idaho back here to VA and it was less than that....did the cracks go all the way thru the casting??(I couldn't tell by the pics). BobG in VA

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #5  
Shipping seems high to me also. Dealer tells you they will fix (covered under goodwill). To me, goodwill means they (Mahindra) absorbs all costs under warranty.
If they charged you $500 for shipping that price to me sounds like the cost of the part, plus shipping, plus labor. The goodwill part is that they want you to think you're getting a deal.

Just my opinion which with a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #6  
The part lists for $1233.00 and I tried to get a weight on it, but couldn't find it. Mahindra treated you well, even though the shipping seems high. I would bet the dealer marked it up a bit, but believe me when I say the dealer earned every penny of it. You did well.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh??
I think you been done dirty.....a year ago, I had over 200 lbs of elk meat shipped air freight overnight (frozen) from Idaho back here to VA and it was less than that....did the cracks go all the way thru the casting??(I couldn't tell by the pics). BobG in VA

Hi Bob. Yes the cracks did go all the way through. Haven't heard anything bout' what might have caused it...

As shown in the pic. they were rusty when I discovered them. Don't know how long they have been there.

My first thought was to get an old time welder and have him really beef both sides up. Would have ended up much cheaper for me. In answer to George 2615. I did have to pay labor and transportation plus this charge. Came to over $1300.

I don't think it was extremely complicated to change it out, but it involved a lot of heavy parts. The engine also bolted on to this piece.

Thomas wrote:
By the sounds you were treated well compare to what it might have cost also the down time.

Down time was the same. Get the part ordered, repaired and back home.
Guess I don't understand your statement.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #8  
WOW, My apologies for my previous post. Had no idea part was that expensive. Guess it was a good deal.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #9  
Judging by your photos, I'd estimate that hunk of steel weighs at least 200 lb.
Just for fun I ran this load through the uShip estimator.
Assuming it was shipped from TX to ME by truck (about 2100 miles), the estimated shipping cost came to $343 with variation ranging from $200 to $500.

Considering the cost of that part and the fact that you fortunately found a Mahindra dealer who would give you a break on an out-of-warrenty repair, you did good.
Hope I get a similar deal if and when something like that happens to my 2008 Mahindra 5525.

/ Bad news, Good News & ??Huh?? #10  
Flusher, you know that Dave would treat us right if anything ever happens to our tractors.:D