Starting Issues

/ Starting Issues #1  

zippy215

I am currently having starting issues with my 2615. The battery is new and fully charged however when I try to start it, it drags like the battery is dead and then fires up. I have had the new glow plug timer placed on it and have had no problem up until now. Any ideas?

/ Starting Issues #2  
I know you changed the glowplug timer but have you checked the glow plugs.
If the battery is new and charged and it cranks slow it sounds like a connection problem. Check the ground cable connection to the frame. Check the cable connections at the starter. If all connections are good and it still cranks slow it could be the starter. If it cranks at normal speed and is hard to start it could be the glow plugs or a fuel problem. How many hours are on the tractor. I didn't have to change my timer but did have to replace my glow plugs. I don't know where you are so don't know if cold weather temps are a problem. Please fill in your profile a little more so we know where you are.
Lastly, as a new member, Welcome to the group.

/ Starting Issues #3  
#1 Verify all battery terminals are clean & tight
#2 Are you running summer or winter weight oil? MikeD74T

/ Starting Issues
I am in Florida and running summer oil. I have replaced the battery, checked the terminals and cleaned and checked to ground wire. I guess my next thing to check is the starter, would you guys suggest just taking it apart and cleaning the brushes or is there something else I would need to check.

I almost forgot the glow plugs were replaced when I had the timer update done 6 months ago.

Thanks for any and all help.

/ Starting Issues #5  
Warm climate, summer oil, clean terminals and connections, new battery. Doesn't leave much left except the starter. Sounds like it could be the starter bearings (bushings), armature, brushes, or field windings. My guess would be the bushings or brushes. Pull the starter and check for slop, mainly at the bendix end where it would engage the flywheel. If the bushing is bad it will make the starter armature bind when trying to crank. If the bushing seems fine check the brushes and where they contact the armature. Armature can be cleaned up with fine emory cloth and replace the brushes if you feel confident doing so. If you can't replace this yourself or find anything else wrong take it to a starter / alternator shop who can test and / or rebuild it for you. Rebuilding will be far less than the cost a new one.

/ Starting Issues
Thanks for all the help, I will post when I figure it out.