Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #1  

indigob

Tractor
Mahindra 4530
While clearing some heavy brush, some roots ripped out my right side
ps line. An issue that I have come across in resolving this problem, the crankcase is a shared tank for hydraulics/power steering/and transmission.

The owners manual calls for a SAE 80w UTTO oil with API GL-4 and EP ratings or a multi-function hydraulic fluid such as Chevron 1000 THF (this is on the new chart on the Mahindra USA website). Problem is, my oil distributor says that these are different classes of products and that API GL-4 products are
no longer available. He suggested the Chevron 1000 THF as did the Mahindra online support people, but the Mahindra shop I deal with suggests the New Holland 80w-90 API GL-5 oil that they carry. Also, I had seen on a couple of other websites, that using GL-5 in place of GL-4 can be a problem because the 5 is too slippery for gears vs. the 4.

To top all that I am concerned about topping off with one vs. the other because I can't seem to tell what is in the crankcase originally. I guess,
I am going to have to fully drain and refill with all one kind.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions or clarifications?

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #2  
While clearing some heavy brush, some roots ripped out my right side
ps line. An issue that I have come across in resolving this problem, the crankcase is a shared tank for hydraulics/power steering/and transmission.

The owners manual calls for a SAE 80w UTTO oil with API GL-4 and EP ratings or a multi-function hydraulic fluid such as Chevron 1000 THF (this is on the new chart on the Mahindra USA website). Problem is, my oil distributor says that these are different classes of products and that API GL-4 products are
no longer available. He suggested the Chevron 1000 THF as did the Mahindra online support people, but the Mahindra shop I deal with suggests the New Holland 80w-90 API GL-5 oil that they carry. Also, I had seen on a couple of other websites, that using GL-5 in place of GL-4 can be a problem because the 5 is too slippery for gears vs. the 4.

To top all that I am concerned about topping off with one vs. the other because I can't seem to tell what is in the crankcase originally. I guess,
I am going to have to fully drain and refill with all one kind.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions or clarifications?

Yes they have changed the chart. Nice that they notified owners about recomended fluid type changes. I have a 4530 and went thru the same grief you are going thru when I first changed my fluids. I am using the Mobil Fluid 424. At the time when I changed my fluids it was still recomended. I also talked to a real service tech at Mahindra ( TX not India) and he told me that this would be fine. As far as topping off with another fluid I really don't seea an issue, but if you are close to a scheduled maintence I would go ahead and do it a little early.

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid
Thanks Civesnedfield, Nice to know I wasn't the only one
to run across this. I will stop by the oil distributor tomorrow.
Indigob

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #4  
Thanks Civesnedfield, Nice to know I wasn't the only one
to run across this. I will stop by the oil distributor tomorrow.
Indigob

You don't want to know what I went thru, to get that bit of info. There are quite a few little tidbits that are missing or wrong in the owners manual.

Let me know if you figure out what the transmission strainer is right off. The other thing is that there are two drain plugs for the transmission, and it is better to remove the front drive shaft skid plate before trying to draing the engine oil pan.

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid
I would too believe it, sounds similar to my experience.

I didn't know about the 2nd transmission drain plug.

I didn't find much in the service manual about a
transmission strainer, but try page I-44. It refers
to the Hydraulic Suction Strainer inline with the Tandem
Pump supplying the hydraulic system.

Do you know about the chat feature for tech support
on the Mahindra USA site? They may be able to help
but it is mostly basic help.

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #6  
GL-4 is still available since the newer GL-5 (and MT-1 for that matter) does not meet the same spec's and is not backward compatible. No offense to your oil distributor but he doesn't know what he's talking about. :) GL-4 gear oils have a much lower sulfur additive level and are safe for use with yellow metals (brass, copper, bronze) where many GL-5 gear oils are NOT safe for yellow metals. It's not really a "slippery" problem, it's the possible corrosion that GL-5's can cause if not used in the proper application. There are multi rated oils on the market so you might run across a multi spec oil that meets GL-4 and GL-5 API ratings.

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #7  
I would too believe it, sounds similar to my experience.

I didn't know about the 2nd transmission drain plug.

I didn't find much in the service manual about a
transmission strainer, but try page I-44. It refers
to the Hydraulic Suction Strainer inline with the Tandem
Pump supplying the hydraulic system.

Do you know about the chat feature for tech support
on the Mahindra USA site? They may be able to help
but it is mostly basic help.

Been there done that ----lasttime I used the online chat it wasn't any help. I do know where the strainer is. It took a little time but I figured it out.

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #8  
Have you had any problems with the Chevron 1000THF? This is a none GL-4 Lub. My Mahindra 4035 manual states that I should us 80W UTTO with a GL-4 Rating.

Has anyone use Super S (Green can) J20C ? I can not find a GL 4 rating on it.

Last edited:
   / Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #9  
If your tractors Hyd/Trans is tied together then use Hyd/Trans fluid.. if they are separate then use 303 for hyd. or the hyd/trans fluid and then 80-90w for the trans. and either PSF or ATF for power steering

/ Model 4530 Power Steering API GL-4 vs. Hydraulic fluid #10  
Chevron 1000 THF specks state that it is a None API GL-4 Lub. My Mahindra 4035 4 wd PST has a sump that is common to the Transmission and Hydraulics. Mahindra specks call foe 80W Utto oil with aGL-4 Rating. What is the deal with the 80W this hydraulic fluid is not SAE 80 W it is much thinner hydraulic fluid. I do not understand Mahindra's 80W.