Brush Cutting

/ Brush Cutting #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I've been working on cleaning up some land recently and have needed to cut some rather thick brush. What size material do yall recommend being the maximum to try to cut? I have a Woods Hertiage 5ft cutter and the manfacturer specs say 1". I believe it will handle alittle more. Just wanted a second or third opinion.

Thanks

/ Brush Cutting #2  
Can't say for sure but I'd guess from how my unit cuts 1 1/2" might be a safe cut for you so long as the shear bolt is the correct size and will let loose if you hit something to big. Last year I hit a steel fence post that was hidden along a fence and almost cut it in half, made one **** of a noise and it put a dent in the top cover, blade got a nice nick in it now but it didn't stop it. It's going to depend on how you hit anything and you speed.
If in doubt get your self a chain saw and play it safe.

/ Brush Cutting #3  
Just depends on how hard you want to push your stuff,I clear brush every winter and use chain saw on probably 1/2 inch on up,you get rid of stubs that way,[cut it off real close to ground],lotta work,but,I ain't in any hurry,if I was would rent a dozer.

/ Brush Cutting
Sergei

I backed mine over an old roll of barbwire in deep grass, WOW, talk about noise, I just knew I'd ruined my new cutter. 1 hour later, I finally got all the wire out. No damage thankfully.

/ Brush Cutting #5  
I've been working on cleaning up some land recently and have needed to cut some rather thick brush. What size material do yall recommend being the maximum to try to cut? I have a Woods Hertiage 5ft cutter and the manfacturer specs say 1". I believe it will handle alittle more. Just wanted a second or third opinion.

Thanks

You've got a good tractor and a good cutter, but going after big brush can really take its toll.

The mower might handle it with a few dents in the side walls, but your tractor and your tires may not be quite as forgiving. Pushing fairly large brush over before running it under the brush hog can do a lot of nasty things to the underside of your tractor -- like puncturing your hydraulic filter, ripping hydraulic lines, and pulling wire harnesses apart.

When the mower cuts, it usually leaves a pretty nasty stub sticking out of the ground. When that stub dries, it can go right through a tire the next time you clear.

Pushing brush over for a rear mounted mower be pretty hard on your paint job too.

I'd suggest you either start with a good heavy duty brush cutter or a chain saw. One other good alternative is to get a tooth bar for your loader and go out after a good soaking rain. You might be surprised at how well your tractor will pull roots out with a tooth bar.

Good luck,
Knute

/ Brush Cutting #6  
Today I when out to cut my field and ended up cutting about 10 small dead scrub trees that didn't make it through the winter, they ranged in size from 1/2 inch to almost 2 inches and the KK when right through them. Now what I always do is back the KK over them, I never drive over them it's just to easy to damage something on the tractor, so after the first cut then I lower the cutter and make sure the remains are cut to ground level.

/ Brush Cutting
Thanks for the replies. I just hate having to drag out the ole chain saw in the Louisiana Heat. Chainsaw+jeans,boots,etc+98 degrees+95% humidity= One miserable day. Not to mention the Mosquitoes and knats.

I'll looking into a toothbar. The Boss(wife) said I've spent enought on tractors. Maybe this fall she will come around. ;)

/ Brush Cutting #8  
Thanks for the replies. I just hate having to drag out the ole chain saw in the Louisiana Heat. Chainsaw+jeans,boots,etc+98 degrees+95% humidity= One miserable day. Not to mention the Mosquitoes and knats.

I'll looking into a toothbar. The Boss(wife) said I've spent enought on tractors. Maybe this fall she will come around. ;)
And what do wives know about that?

/ Brush Cutting #9  
Try cutting around the big stuff first if you can. Than back into the scrub trees slowly with the proper PTO speed and the tranny set to a low range.

/ Brush Cutting #10  
You've got a good tractor and a good cutter, but going after big brush can really take its toll.

The mower might handle it with a few dents in the side walls, but your tractor and your tires may not be quite as forgiving. Pushing fairly large brush over before running it under the brush hog can do a lot of nasty things to the underside of your tractor -- like puncturing your hydraulic filter, ripping hydraulic lines, and pulling wire harnesses apart.

When the mower cuts, it usually leaves a pretty nasty stub sticking out of the ground. When that stub dries, it can go right through a tire the next time you clear.

Pushing brush over for a rear mounted mower be pretty hard on your paint job too.

I'd suggest you either start with a good heavy duty brush cutter or a chain saw. One other good alternative is to get a tooth bar for your loader and go out after a good soaking rain. You might be surprised at how well your tractor will pull roots out with a tooth bar.

Good luck,
Knute

It is interesting you say this because the underside of my 2615 is cleaner (less low hanging stuff) than the Kubota I was considering. I have no first hand experience yet because I have only used it around the house thus far and will likely be a few more weeks before I get her into the heavy brush at the hunting camp.