5500 trans vent leak

/ 5500 trans vent leak #1  

walt5500

Tractor
Mahindra 5500
Hi all,
I am new to registering. I have a new 5500 2wd, 260 FEL, 30 hours now since Jan. 09.
I am having a problem with oil leaking from the vent (I assume a vent) on top of the transmission just in front of seat, behind shifter plate. It is not over full.
At first I thought it was caused when letting front loader down with weight on it. That is not it. I cleaned it off well today and drove on the country road in 4th gear but not fast. As I slowed down idling in driveway, the oil leaked out.
But not while going down the road. It seems that the vent is not sealing to keep it from leaking. I've talked with dealer and they don't know. They told me to pull the shifter cover to see if there is a tube or elbow not correct below the vent.
Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be inside below the vent?

Thanks,
Walt

/ 5500 trans vent leak
Isn't there anyone with a 5500?

/ 5500 trans vent leak #3  
The last few 00 series I sold had this problem. Mahindra took the material that use to be in the vent that resricted the flow out. Your dealer should be able to contact their service manager to find there latest suggestion on a fix.

Good luck,
Dave

/ 5500 trans vent leak
Thanks Dave.
I'll check with them again.
I have called Mahindra 24/7 help line and they could not help.

It does not do it all the time, only when you have to rev up.
I do not use this tractor hard. Most of what I do is like 1200 RPM or less at idling. But if you rev up going across pasture or on country road it will do it. Not a lot but it only takes small amount of oil to look like a lot, plus makes a mess with dust. A new tractor should not do this.

I took the breather bolt out and the cap has a screen inside but it does not restrict the oil enough, the base has two small holes that the oil is coming thru.
I was assuming there should be something else inside for restriction.
One sales manager at dealer said to put steel wool in there.
Not wanting the steel wool to get into gears or system, I did not want to do it.
Also, did not want to kill my warranty.

So, if you had problems with several, what did they do to fix?

/ 5500 trans vent leak #5  
The steel wool ideal should work, the brass type would be best. If you remove the breather you will see the holes are cross drilled at the bottom so the material shouldn't be able to go into the transmission. You can put it in where you took the bolt out to remove the cover.

I took breathers out of older 4wd 00 series and swaped them. They are located on an elbow on the side of the diff. cases and can use the open designed breather. Mahindra must have changed that in late '07 when they introduced the 30 series. The breather with the restriction could not breath enough for the combined hydraulic and tranny of the 30's.

Walt, I hope you have a friend with a 3 or 4 year old 4 wheel drive.

Dave

/ 5500 trans vent leak
Dave,
That sounds good, I'll try to get the dealer to get the earlier breather.
No, I do not know anyone with a 4wd Mahindra.
All I know have JD.
I'll go to a dealer and try to find one.

Again Thanks Dave,
I appreciate the good info and responses.

/ 5500 trans vent leak
An update.
As reported before, I had already talked with Mahindra 24/7 chat line.
Problem was to be forwarded to upper management and dealer.
Received message from dealer that part is coming next week.
I do not know at this time what will be replacement.

Thanks

/ 5500 trans vent leak
Update 06-18
The Manindra fix for the vent leaking is an extension above a new dip stick with a vent on top. It is the same vent as located on the main case. With this going in the dip stick hole which is located on the shifter plate, it will be about 2 inches higher than the original vent plus the extension of about 2 inches.
I don't know yet if this is high enough. I just got it in tonight so will try it over the weekend. But, now I need a bolt to replace the original vent because it will still leak (or, I will have to fill the holes with JB Weld or epoxy ). Mahindra told the mechanic at the dealer that it goes in same hole as the old vent, that will not happen as the new is the same size thread as the old dip stick and the vent is smaller. So someone still does not understand what is going on. The mechanic said he had not done one before so let him know if it works.

If the gears sling the oil on this one, it may leak too. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the help.

/ 5500 trans vent leak #9  
I also have same problem with mine, curious to know what you found out and maybe a part number so i can fix mine,