Oil & Fuel 6500 Fuel Tank Drain

/ 6500 Fuel Tank Drain #1  

Maine_Polack

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD
I recently had a fuel related problem which made me realize that I probably don't drain the bottom of the fuel tank, or the fuel filters often enough...actually almost never.

Fuel filters are easy access. The tank drain however is somewhat difficult to get at. My hand does not fit in there, so some sort of tool, is needed. I took a socket and cut a notch in it as shown. Also shown is the complete set up I use to open and drain the tank.

I put it right next to the hyl. filter, and can turn like a screwdriver. It is a messy job though. I would like to channel the fuel falling down. As it is, it comes down on the the tractor and turns into multiple flows. It not only gets all over the tractor, but also my hand and arm.

Anyone have any other tools or methods for preforming this task?

Attachments

• 100_7274 (Medium).jpg
    100_7274 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_7275 (Medium).jpg
    100_7275 (Medium).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 309
   / 6500 Fuel Tank Drain #2  
I know the problem of access to the fuel tank drain and IN-TANK FILTER (PLASTIC MESH) all too well. Either I get all dirty fuel, or that little filter in the tank is TOO restrictive and catches eveything. I only get 2 to 3 tanks full between changing he in-tank filter.
Tomorrow, I am trying to plug the tank with a wine cork to slow down the diesel pouring out on me.

/ 6500 Fuel Tank Drain
2-3 tanks seems to be very excessive. Perhaps something in the tank itself plugging it up? Or your container...or....the supplier.

At any rate, I'd be interested in what you find out.

What do you find in the filter?

I have had my tractor since 2005, and I usually just drain some fuel as described in my post. Only once have I had to actually clean the filter in the tank filter itself, and as it turned out, once I saw what was caught in the filter, I realized it was my fault.

/ 6500 Fuel Tank Drain #4  
Excessive. Yep. This has been a year long issue. The fuel lines from in-tank filter to primary paper coil filter to final paper coil filter must be small. When any little crud travels in the fuel,there is a clog. I'm going to leave tank as low as possible at all times to reduce the amount of fuel that can get rusty, grow algae, or whatever else diesel does when it sits in a tank a few months. Then the quantity of fuel that I have to waste will be reduced when I have to drain tank to begin the cleansing process over again.

/ 6500 Fuel Tank Drain
I've never had a filter inside the tank. Factory screw up?...I don't know... but a couple of years had gone by before I noticed it. That was only one time - and, it was sorta my fault - that I had to actually pull the fuel line off at the tank to clean crud that jammed it some. Still ran ok, but would not reach max speed.

A while ago I got sick, combined with other circumstances....Didn't start the tractor for at least 6 months, and it started as per normal, when I did start it. I usually do add some 2 cycle oil, but nothing else except for dead winter.

I know that you have the heat to contend with, but there are a lot of tractors in Texas that, I'm sure, don't have your problem. Perhaps talk to other owners?

/ 6500 Fuel Tank Drain #6  
Excessive. Yep. This has been a year long issue. The fuel lines from in-tank filter to primary paper coil filter to final paper coil filter must be small. When any little crud travels in the fuel,there is a clog. I'm going to leave tank as low as possible at all times to reduce the amount of fuel that can get rusty, grow algae, or whatever else diesel does when it sits in a tank a few months. Then the quantity of fuel that I have to waste will be reduced when I have to drain tank to begin the cleansing process over again.

You realize that this solution will actually add to the problem right? They empty air space accelerates everything you are complaining about.