3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #1  

Timmanny

Tractor
Mahindra 3215
I have a Mahindra 3215 with around 250 hours on it. I was working it at my moms place, using the loader, I had just pushed out some saplings and underbrush when I moved to park and hand load some debris. It just died as if I shut it off. It restarted like normal, but died after 2-3- seconds. I checked for any fluid leaks, none found all seemed ok and fluid levels ok. When I tried it again I did notice my glow plug light didn't come on but, my PTO light did come, although not engaged and engine would start. That just confused me more. I checked fuses and all where ok except the instrument panel fuse (10 amp). Replaced fuse with 10 amp and it blew. The instrument panel then looked normal before fuse would blow. Although if fuse was blown or not the engine would still die. While running no smoke no rough running, no missing. Engine would perfect, just only 2-3 seconds. Just as if you started it and turn it off right away. As far as the fuse I tried a 15 amp and it worked, then replaced with brand new 10 amp and it hasn't blown after 10-15 tries while I was testing everything I could think of. Individually I disconnected temp and oil sensors, no effect that I could tell. Could not find any chaffed wires or breaks, all seem very well protected. I can't find anything in owers manual to help and I haven't gotten a repair manual for it yet. Electric fuel pump works. There are two wires that run to back of injector pump, one is hot while switch is in run position, and other is hot only in start position. At the moment just using test light, I dont have any specs for testing otherwise. Does anybody have any idea as to whats going on? And please no wisecracks, this is discouraging when combined with other things that are going on around here.
Thanks
Timmanny

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #2  
From the manual the 10 amp fuse covers the Alternator,Glow controller,Fuel pump,ETR solenoid, panel indicator,air heater element. Sounds like you need to start and eliminate each one and see which blows the fuse. I would get yourself some 6 or 8 amp fuses to test with and maybe this way you might not damage something else, might work not sure of the load on a good system.

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds
Thanks Sergei, I'll try that, although I may not get there for a few days.
With loader attached not easy to load on trailer and bring home.
Thanks again,
Tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #4  
I've been trying to find the location of the air heater element and no luck, maybe it was an option from Mitsubishi, but no picture of it's location. Have you changed your fuel filter and also you might check your air filter and the small valve (VACUATOR VALVE ) on the bottom to make sure it's not plugged, it needs to be open.

Last edited:
When i was checking things yesterday all was open and clear, even at my brothers suggestion I removed outer air filter to try. No luck that way either. I had also disconnected outlet hose from electric fuel pump and ran a clear hose to dump back in tank. I have no way to actually check flow or pressure, but looked at least a gallon or two a minute. Seem to remember that as I was looking there is nothing in line on intake hose from filter to turbo except the bulkhead fitting by radiator. Mind you though with loader on and me straddling the front it was hard to see by the turbo. I do appreciate it you have at least given me some things to look for. I am new to this forum and have been looking at different threads to find any useful info. A lot of pages to go through in an afternoon before church, but has been enjoyable and informative. May everyone hang in there and have a good day.
thanks
Tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #6  
When you posted you had just -" pushed out some saplings and underbrush" that makes me wonder if you did not knock a wire loose or lose enough to have good contact..I know when I clear brush and trees things like that happen since many of those wires are exposed and branches find them. Just a thought.

Just a thought, the oil sending unit/sensor, is that the one on top of head or side of block on the mitsu engine? Is it just an idiot light type, just off or on not a pressure value? If so does the mitsu have a auto shut off to protect engine or just turn on the idiot light? What would be the result if the sensor went bad? If using a simple light tester shouldn't I get ground when engine is off and when started as pressure was built light would go off? But, shouldn't just disconnecting it allow engine to keep running? I did try it with wire disconnected but, that didn't help.
Oh well, I do wish i had it home though.
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Bob,
I hadn't found any lose or frayed. I had dash covers loose and side panel lose for PTO switch and tracing wires at rear to lights to no avail. I uderstand branches though. They can fight back! Had one pop out of bucket and hit hose fitting square on, split it right at edge of casting of threads. Fortuntly we had odd fitting at my work that were same type. Made a new hose there and was able to assemble on lunch break.
Thanks again,
Tim

Sorry brin, not bob

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #10  
What about your fuel, had you refueled before this started? As far as I see only an oil sending unit to the panel, no auto shutoff.