2015 differential lock broken.

/ 2015 differential lock broken. #1  

clytle374

Silver Member
The lock petal goes all the way down but the rear wheels don't lock up. Not good timing with this snow storm.

The petal has been sticking for a long while and I should have fixed it, but just pulled it up by hand. So it was probably engaged a bunch of times for long periods of time when it shouldn't have been. It started last spring, and yesterday my dad says he never knew that. We'll he did, but broken fathers is another forum.

Regardless of how it broke, it needs fixed. I've been looking at the online break down but can't figure out for sure what I need. Looks like there is a part under the right side break cover that the linkages push in. The problem is the part description is "sleeve". Is this a splined sleeve that pushes in and locks to the diff? Or should I expect worse news when I get in there?
Anyone fixed on of these? I'd like to have the part before tear down, anyone have any advice?

/ 2015 differential lock broken. #2  
I've got a similar problem with my 2516 gear tractor. The pedal just "flops" and my diff lock does not engage. I'm either going to tear into it myself or bring it to my "local" dealer up the road. I'm a little scared of my local dealer though :(

/ 2015 differential lock broken.
I've got a similar problem with my 2516 gear tractor. The pedal just "flops" and my diff lock does not engage. I'm either going to tear into it myself or bring it to my "local" dealer up the road. I'm a little scared of my local dealer though :(

My local dealer quit selling Mahindra.

Is the link on the left side okay on yours? I'm going to try and get into it soon, I'll let you know if it is DIY or not. Just wish I could have the part on hand.

Last edited:
   / 2015 differential lock broken. #4  
I just went outside and jacked up the rear of the machine and spun the wheels. I pressed the diff lock and still one wheel went fwd one went reverse. The pedal is really a rod that goes to a shaft. There is a little play in. My "local" dealer don't even bother to bring the machine in until after Jan 4th and they want to charge me to look at it even though I have 14 hours on the machine LOL. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same!

Sorry, I meant the right side of the tractor. The rod goes through and exits on the right, hooking to another linkage. But you've got a 1 series, anything in common between them?

/ 2015 differential lock broken. #6  
Yeah I knew you meant the right side :) I can't see the linkages being much different if at all.

Yeah I knew you meant the right side :) I can't see the linkages being much different if at all.

I'll let you know what I find, I have no idea if the insides of a 15 and a 16 are anything alike.

/ 2015 differential lock broken. #8  
.... My "local" dealer don't even bother to bring the machine in until after Jan 4th and they want to charge me to look at it even though I have 14 hours on the machine LOL. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same!

Please let us know who your "local" dealer is....I'm gonna have mine down in Goochland in the next few months and haven't spoken to a dealer down there yet....Thanks. BobG in VA

/ 2015 differential lock broken. #9  
Please let us know who your "local" dealer is....I'm gonna have mine down in Goochland in the next few months and haven't spoken to a dealer down there yet....Thanks. BobG in VA

I'll send you a PM . :)

Thought I'd let everyone know how that went, only took a year to get to it and then 6 more months to post about it. Tools needed: Jack, blocks, basic tools(wrenches, ratchets) Snap ring pliers very helpful, if not required.

No gaskets needed. Good time to change the oil and filters.

It isn't too hard of a job, and the part is cheap.

Remove the right wheel

Drain the gearbox oil.

Take the brake apart, including remove drum.

Remove the diff lock linkage.

Remove the heavy metal brace that goes up to the roll bar mount, and the 3 point mounts to the outer reduction case.

Remove the outside of the case that hold the reduction gear and the axle. (WARNING too heavy for one man) Don't loose the shims, if any, under the axle bearing.

Replace part

Reassemble.

REPLACE OIL ;)

Cory