Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default 4wd tractor vs 2wd

I am looking at new tractors, probably a mahindra. Do the 4wd models give any problems compared to a 2wd? Is there more up keep to them. I have never had a 4wd, always got by with 2wd. Thanks for any info.

Silver Member

Default Re: 4wd tractor vs 2wd

I just got a little 2015 HST 4wd... and I love it. If you get a 2wd you may not like the loss of traction (traction needed to do some things).

I've used full size skip loader tractors for years at work that were 2wd so I have something to base my statement on. They work-just not nearly as well in my opinion.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    mahindra 2615

I agree, easily twice the traction. I wouldn't use 4wd on dry pavement, just like a truck. Had larger and older farm tractors, and my 2615 has nearly the same power in 4wd.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2516

Yes there is more to break but I wouldn't own a compact tractor that is 2wd.

Bronze Member

Looking at the 8560, probably gonna do it. I want to get a bucket for it too.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

nod, you will be very happy with the 8560, very nice tractor. Assuming that you will get 4x4 version. What type of work are you going to be doing with it?
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Bronze Member

Bushoging, digging out beaver dams, pushing trees, moving dirt, grading dirt, nothing major. just a 50 acres to keep up. I have looked at different brands and keep coming back to mahindra.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

When I was looking back in 2004, I could not find any tractor in the same class as the 7520 4x4 Mahindra that had better all around specs. I believe that the 7520's replacement, the 8560 is in the same class. To get a better all around machine, you would have to jump up 1 or even 2 horse power sizes. This is not to say that the others are not good if not great machines, just that none that I know of match up when you consider all of the different specifications.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

I have 3 tractors, 2 are 2wd, one 4wd. I do not like the loss of turning radius. My last tractor I bought about a year ago is a M7040 Kubota, 2WD. Bought it just to pull a 10ft mower. Love it.

I find the 4wd frustrating in that you cannot leave it in 4WD. It is 4 Wheel assist. I find it very time consuming to keep shifting. The only complaint I have is with my 2Wd with a front loader on it. At times it would be nice to have more traction. However, I have gotten around this by putting a backhoe attachment on the rear. The extra weight is excellent and the backhoe is very handy. Expecially since I am usually working alone and need extra help moving/lifting stuff. Not to mention the ability to dig.

You can always add a 3 pt carry all with a barrel of water for weight if you need more weight on the rear end.

I have 2 Kubotas. I love them both. One has hydrastatic Transmission, use it to pull a finishing mower. I was looking at Mahindra when I bought my last Kubota. Kubota has some well designed tractors. Mahindra is heavier but more basic. Also, My kubota dealer was willing to find exactly what I wanted and go get it. I bought a brand new 7040 in December 08, it was an 07 model and they had rebates on it because it was over a year old. Fantastic price.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by RobertHorn View Post
    I find the 4wd frustrating in that you cannot leave it in 4WD. It is 4 Wheel assist. I find it very time consuming to keep shifting.
    Why can't you leave it in 4wd ??
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast