4wd tractor vs 2wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 4wd tractor vs 2wd #1  

nod

Bronze Member
I am looking at new tractors, probably a mahindra. Do the 4wd models give any problems compared to a 2wd? Is there more up keep to them. I have never had a 4wd, always got by with 2wd. Thanks for any info.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #2  
I just got a little 2015 HST 4wd... and I love it. If you get a 2wd you may not like the loss of traction (traction needed to do some things).

I've used full size skip loader tractors for years at work that were 2wd so I have something to base my statement on. They work-just not nearly as well in my opinion.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #3  
I agree, easily twice the traction. I wouldn't use 4wd on dry pavement, just like a truck. Had larger and older farm tractors, and my 2615 has nearly the same power in 4wd.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #4  
Yes there is more to break but I wouldn't own a compact tractor that is 2wd.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd
Looking at the 8560, probably gonna do it. I want to get a bucket for it too.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #6  
nod, you will be very happy with the 8560, very nice tractor. Assuming that you will get 4x4 version. What type of work are you going to be doing with it?

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd
Bushoging, digging out beaver dams, pushing trees, moving dirt, grading dirt, nothing major. just a 50 acres to keep up. I have looked at different brands and keep coming back to mahindra.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #8  
When I was looking back in 2004, I could not find any tractor in the same class as the 7520 4x4 Mahindra that had better all around specs. I believe that the 7520's replacement, the 8560 is in the same class. To get a better all around machine, you would have to jump up 1 or even 2 horse power sizes. This is not to say that the others are not good if not great machines, just that none that I know of match up when you consider all of the different specifications.

/ 4wd tractor vs 2wd #9  
I have 3 tractors, 2 are 2wd, one 4wd. I do not like the loss of turning radius. My last tractor I bought about a year ago is a M7040 Kubota, 2WD. Bought it just to pull a 10ft mower. Love it.

I find the 4wd frustrating in that you cannot leave it in 4WD. It is 4 Wheel assist. I find it very time consuming to keep shifting. The only complaint I have is with my 2Wd with a front loader on it. At times it would be nice to have more traction. However, I have gotten around this by putting a backhoe attachment on the rear. The extra weight is excellent and the backhoe is very handy. Expecially since I am usually working alone and need extra help moving/lifting stuff. Not to mention the ability to dig.

You can always add a 3 pt carry all with a barrel of water for weight if you need more weight on the rear end.

I have 2 Kubotas. I love them both. One has hydrastatic Transmission, use it to pull a finishing mower. I was looking at Mahindra when I bought my last Kubota. Kubota has some well designed tractors. Mahindra is heavier but more basic. Also, My kubota dealer was willing to find exactly what I wanted and go get it. I bought a brand new 7040 in December 08, it was an 07 model and they had rebates on it because it was over a year old. Fantastic price.

Status
Not open for further replies.