3-Point Hitch lift arms on backwards

/ lift arms on backwards #1  

SABULA FARMER

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335SST
I cant believe that the problem I have had for three years went un-noticed!
I have put two sets of turnbuckles(check Chains) on my 2615. I finally broke down and bought another set, due to the swaying with check chains. I put the new turnbuckles on and found that they would not tighten up properly, so I called the shop to see if maybe Mahindra put the wrong lower lift arms on my machine...
After explaining the problem to the dealer, he asked a few questions on the pin placement settings and we discovered that the lift arms were on opposite sides!! This is why the turn buckles would not tighten the entire way and thus destroy them in a matter of minutes. I was PO! Needless to say I have to take my hat off to my dealer....he is refunding my money for the turnbuckles. That is a good thing, because I didnt need to spend that kind of dough right now. I am a little disturbed that it was delivered 3 yrs ago with this problem.

Anyone have any info on possible places to look for a short? I found that every now and again I will get a little shock if I am running my tractor and touch the metal on the loader joystick....I have no problems with the lights, or other electrical components. I assume if the short was bad it would blow a fuse? Is it possible that the bus bar for the glow plugs could put a electrical charge through the loader? I have checked the ground from the starter, battery, and found them all tight...suggestions?

/ lift arms on backwards #2  
I just ran into something on that order with the late FIL 1976 265 MF. I got the bush hog on it and found the right side to be about an inch lower BUT it was as short as it would crank.

When I looked closer at the connections at the arms the right side was in a higher set of holes so I matched it with the left arm mounting holes used and bingo I could level out the bushhog. Not sure if it had been that way for 33 years or it got changed after getting to the farm.

Now the rest of the readers will be looking at the rears of their tractors. :D

/ lift arms on backwards #3  
When I bought my 2615 I found it a pain to adjust the turnbuckles since they are on the outside (between the bar and tire). When attaching a wide implement the turnbuckles only had about an inch or less of space between the tires to adjust them. I moved my turnbuckles to the inside by drilling two holes in the lower plate that the drawbar slides into.

/ lift arms on backwards #4  
Anyone have any info on possible places to look for a short? I found that every now and again I will get a little shock if I am running my tractor and touch the metal on the loader joystick.

Are you sure that isn't an ESD shock? (Static shock). There generally shouldn't be any voltage on your tractor that is high even to generate a shock that you would be able to feel.

/ lift arms on backwards
Esd? I didn't know that was possible. It's not a heavy shock, so it could be possible I guess.
I checked everything that I could and found nothing wrong. I thought that maybe it was coming from a bad ground, but all were factory tight. I assume that if it was a bare wire, it would blow a fuse. The tractor runs great, so I am thinking that you may be on to something.

/ lift arms on backwards #6  
I too think it is likely static electricity getting you. Take a VOM and check continuity between the joystick and frame ground and see that you have zero or very low Ω. Set it to DC volts and check again to see if there is any voltage there. That will confirm if there is actually juice there. I'm betting not.

Kim

/ lift arms on backwards #7  
When I bought my 2615 I found it a pain to adjust the turnbuckles since they are on the outside (between the bar and tire). When attaching a wide implement the turnbuckles only had about an inch or less of space between the tires to adjust them. I moved my turnbuckles to the inside by drilling two holes in the lower plate that the drawbar slides into.

The newer 2615s and the 2816s have a different offset to the rear wheels, so they set out about 2" further on each side, making the sway chain adjustment way easier.

On the mod that you did, keep in mind that if your new sway chain pivot points are not directly in line with the three-point lower arm pivot points, then the sway chains will not be swinging in a similar arc as the arms are raised or lowered. The effect of that is that they can effetcively become shorter as the arms are raised and they then pull inward on the arms. If the arms are fixed in width such as when an implement is attached, it can bust something. To be proper, on any brand or size tractor, the sway chain pivots are always lined up with the arm pivots. Not sure I described that clearly. :eek:

/ lift arms on backwards #8  
The newer 2615s and the 2816s have a different offset to the rear wheels, so they set out about 2" further on each side, making the sway chain adjustment way easier.

On the mod that you did, keep in mind that if your new sway chain pivot points are not directly in line with the three-point lower arm pivot points, then the sway chains will not be swinging in a similar arc as the arms are raised or lowered. The effect of that is that they can effetcively become shorter as the arms are raised and they then pull inward on the arms. If the arms are fixed in width such as when an implement is attached, it can bust something. To be proper, on any brand or size tractor, the sway chain pivots are always lined up with the arm pivots. Not sure I described that clearly. :eek:

Yes, I know. Mine is a 2004 (older model) My friends 2006 wheels have the wider offset. He can use chains in winter, I can't unless I make spacers to move my wheels out. I only have about a fingers width between the tire and the frame, not enough room for chains. (pics posted in another thread on this subject) I've thought about making the spacers (with a drawing I got from another member) but haven't needed chains yet. Just the 4WD and my 800 lb. rear weight have got me through the snow.
I understand the turnbuckles should be in line with the arms and by moving mine inside they do get tighter as I lift so I account for that.

/ lift arms on backwards
I too think it is likely static electricity getting you. Take a VOM and check continuity between the joystick and frame ground and see that you have zero or very low Ω. Set it to DC volts and check again to see if there is any voltage there. That will confirm if there is actually juice there. I'm betting not.

Kim

I will try this. I appreciate all the help, and I will post my findings.