Compressor- Ideas?

/ Compressor- Ideas? #1  

Patiofarmer

Silver Member
I ran my little twin stack Cooper compressor run out of oil :(
There is a view window to monitor oil level, but old oil stain on the view window made it appear like oil level was ok!! I never ran compressor more than 3-4 minutes and never even heated it up.

Now I try to start up compressor (to air up tractor tire slow leak) and all it does is hum. Any one have any suggestions on if I can "break what's stuck loose" or if maybe there is a pump or something that maybe can be replaced if need be?

Thanks for help-not really tractor question...but without my compressor on line I can't drive my tractor :eek:

/ Compressor- Ideas? #2  
I ran my little twin stack Cooper compressor run out of oil :(
There is a view window to monitor oil level, but old oil stain on the view window made it appear like oil level was ok!! I never ran compressor more than 3-4 minutes and never even heated it up.

Now I try to start up compressor (to air up tractor tire slow leak) and all it does is hum. Any one have any suggestions on if I can "break what's stuck loose" or if maybe there is a pump or something that maybe can be replaced if need be?

Thanks for help-not really tractor question...but without my compressor on line I can't drive my tractor :eek:

The hum you are probabally hearing is the morot trying to run but can't caust the compressor itself is stuck. If it is a direct drive, there isn't much you can do short of tearing it appart. Butn it would probabally be cheaper to just buy a new air compressor rather than screw with it.

If it is a belt driven unit (which i doubt being a twin stack) you could try to turn the compressor over by hand using the pully to confirm wheather of not the compressor is locked up.

Either way, I'd plan on having to but a new compressor.

/ Compressor- Ideas?
Thanks for input. I think you're right... What a waste.
Well, it's my fault. I should have tipped the thing partly every once in a while to make sure that stain on window was really oil.

Live and learn.
Thanks again for help! :thumbsup:

/ Compressor- Ideas? #4  
Sounds like you got a slow leak in one of your tractor tires. It really frustrated me having a rear flat or low air pressure before I got my large compressor. I would have to remove it (easy with a backhoe) and take it to the repair shop in town. Now I don't have to load the tractor or R&R a tire if they are low.
hugs, Brandi

/ Compressor- Ideas? #5  
Pull the belt off and see if the compressor will spin by hand.
Then plug in the compressor and turn it on and see if the motor runs with out compressor.

The unloader on the pressure switch might not be unloading the compressor and the motor won't be able to start it with a load.

tom

/ Compressor- Ideas?
:mad:That's a 10-4 on the slow leak Brandi. So much more convenient.
I did take apart the compressor, and the piston was free/loose and wasn't frozen up.

So I emptied the tank,and while pulling the relief valve I turned on the compressor...and it fired a few times and ran. But after shutting off it coudn't restart probably because of pressure on it.
This morning it wouldn't even start that way....so I'm done :cool:
Time to go get a new little compressor.

In researching compressors it's becoming clear that you might get a good one and you might get a weak/bad one... so here goes a lot of research again.
Why can't it be like when I was young- you went to sears and bought a good product and you got a good product that lasted for years. Now we're suppose to be happy with a product that lasts 3 years...well I ain't happy with that plan.
:mad:
Oh well, can't change the world - greeds in control.
Thanks for all tips everyone