Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer.

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #1  

consaka

Bronze Member
Before I jump in and try to locate the problem myself I thought id throw this out there and see if anyone else has seen this problem.

When my 2615 was new the tach gauge was rock steady. A while back it started just moving around. up and down a couple hundred rpm. I now have to estimate by engine sound where my rpms are at.
I figure it is either the sensor or the gauge. The amount of movement is fairly random and very annoying. Of course just the idea of something not working right is also annoying.
Anyone see this happen before? anyone know where the sensor is located?

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #2  
What about the tachometer?

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer.
What about the tachometer?

It jumps around at a steady rpm. Which of course makes it worthless. I go by sound to set the rpm for mowing etc. But this kind of defect is unacceptable for a fairly new tractor.

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #4  
It jumps around at a steady rpm. Which of course makes it worthless. I go by sound to set the rpm for mowing etc. But this kind of defect is unacceptable for a fairly new tractor.

You tractor is several years old and I think the 2615 uses a mechanical tach which uses a cable like a speedometer cable. It probable should be taken out and lubricated slightly. Easy enough, and that should stop the jumping around. Worst case scenario, replace the cable and housing with a new one.

You tractor is several years old and I think the 2615 uses a mechanical tach which uses a cable like a speedometer cable. It probable should be taken out and lubricated slightly. Easy enough, and that should stop the jumping around. Worst case scenario, replace the cable and housing with a new one.

Old technology.. I like that. :) I must have got lucky. seems like I got it yesterday. you sure its several years old? I'm still paying for it. Only car payment I ever had. ;)

It had rusty colored grease. Not that easy to get out and the gauge portion was really hard to get lined up and slipped back on. and when it went back on it suddenly went on really easy with a snap. I used lithium grease in there and shes almost as steady as when she was new. Thanks for the tip!:)

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #7  
I will borrow your thread Consaka if you dont mind.

I have a similar problem with the tach to my 2525 but I just cant find the sensor. The electrical drawing shows nada. Do anyone know where its located?

Flywheel , alternator or injection pulse sensor?

Thanks alot

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #8  
It had rusty colored grease. Not that easy to get out and the gauge portion was really hard to get lined up and slipped back on. and when it went back on it suddenly went on really easy with a snap. I used lithium grease in there and shes almost as steady as when she was new. Thanks for the tip!:)

Any clean,fresh grease is better than nothing on a speedo/tach cable but before that lithium grease gets a little age on it you might want to try and find someone that sells Lubriplate #630-AA grease - it's worlds better for this application. If it were me, I'd wash the cable and inside of the outer housing with some sort of mineral spirits or such, blow dry with air gun and then apply the Lubriplate generously to the cable as you feed it back into the housing. Been using Lubriplate since doing my apprenticeship with Cadillac 40 years ago - that's what they used then. I buy it in the 14 oz. cans but have seen it in small sqeeze tubes too in the past.

I have a similar problem with the tach to my 2525 but I just cant find the sensor. The electrical drawing shows nada. Do anyone know where its located?

Thanks alot

I don't mind at all. Good luck.

/ Another Mahindra problem, Tachometer. #10  

Thanks alot

The 2525 has an electronic tachometer. It appears to get its signal from the 4th brown wire from the alternator. My troubles were oriented around the alternator field brushes, and a loose circuit at the fuse. Once I centered the brushes on the field collector rings, and corrected the loose wiring at the fuse, The amp gage truly showed that the alternator was putting out, and the tachometer became rock solid again.