3-Point Hitch top link pin lost

/ top link pin lost #1  

clebouef

Tractor
2010 mahindra 2215
I have a new 2215 and keep having the problem of losing the pin in the top link,have even taken the linch pin and replaced it with a keeper pin with latch. This has happened 2 times can anyone give me an idea of why this happens.

/ top link pin lost #2  
It happens frequently when you are working around limbs or brush that can catch the pins and pull them free. Try a little wire on the keepers to see if that prevents them from opening up under tension from exterior forces.

/ top link pin lost #3  
They make a self locking linch pin that might take care of your prob.

/ top link pin lost #4  
And a bolt with a locknut works too. :D

I have those on the lower links at the tractor end because of brush catching the lynch pins (even the super strong ones) and "removing" them.

/ top link pin lost #5  
And a bolt with a locknut works too. :D

I have those on the lower links at the tractor end because of brush catching the lynch pins (even the super strong ones) and "removing" them.

I bought a big box of those at HF for $10 just for those occassions. Someday the mower will find them, so keep your distance. ;)

/ top link pin lost
i got a top pin with a 1/4" wire hard lock if this dont work next step is 3/4" blot with nuts thanks for replies

/ top link pin lost #7  
I had the same issue today, but I think the pin came off over the 'head' rather than losing the lynch pin. It's on a Howse rotary cutter and they have the 'slot' at the top of the center post. I'm using TSC vintage pins that look like this:

0265529.jpg

Problem is the flange on the head is so thin i think it just pulled right through the slot. I ended up slightly damaging the cutter because i raised the hitch, but without the top link, it just had the effect of raising the front while the tail wheel was still on the ground. The leading edge of the deck ran into the PTO shaft and rubbed right through the plastic cover. :mad:

So i temporarily replaced it with one of these:

0268810.jpg

using a 1/4" lynch pin instead of the clip. (It's the same thickness, despite the picture)

Any thoughts? Why is the flange on the 'official' top link pin so thin?

/ top link pin lost #8  
My tractor came with this style of pin on all my 3pt connections. It doesn't have the same head size potential with the attached ring and the tension of the ring creates the closure on the other end as well.

DSC00539.jpg

/ top link pin lost #9  
I had the same issue today, but I think the pin came off over the 'head' rather than losing the lynch pin. It's on a Howse rotary cutter and they have the 'slot' at the top of the center post. I'm using TSC vintage pins that look like this:

0265529.jpg

Problem is the flange on the head is so thin i think it just pulled right through the slot. I ended up slightly damaging the cutter because i raised the hitch, but without the top link, it just had the effect of raising the front while the tail wheel was still on the ground. The leading edge of the deck ran into the PTO shaft and rubbed right through the plastic cover. :mad:

So i temporarily replaced it with one of these:

0268810.jpg

using a 1/4" lynch pin instead of the clip. (It's the same thickness, despite the picture)

Any thoughts? Why is the flange on the 'official' top link pin so thin?

For those style pins that can slip through, I find a flat washer that just fits and slide that on first. I have a few, but buy replacements that have a larger diam. rim.

/ top link pin lost #10  
For those style pins that can slip through, I find a flat washer that just fits and slide that on first. I have a few, but buy replacements that have a larger diam. rim.

Thanks beenthere, I was thinking about doing that but wasn't sure what the results would be like. They seem to do fine if there's just a round hole on the implement, but with the slot, the only points where the pin can 'grab' are tiny little slices at the top and bottom.

As johnrex62 mentioned, the only thing i'm worried about now is the hardened steel bullet that's laying in the field. :/