Idle speed or not?

/ Idle speed or not? #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
Just a thought, I notice all throughout the manual that it says dont idle the tractor below 1500, idle 1500 when its cold, idle 1500 before stopping and such. The only time I have read in the book when they tell you to run the tractor below 1500 is when its being transported (hydrostatic drive) and the tractor may have bounced around a bit while being towed. However, the dealer seems to drive them around and have mentioned they used them at 1500, and when I said I have been driving around and loader work at 2100 , pto would be used at 2400 I think, that he thought I was using the engine fast. Im around diesel engines quite a bit, and I dont find 2100 fast at all for this little engine. and 1500 sounds like an idle to me, 1000 sounds much to slow. What are your experiences and thoughts? Thanks

Basically I never run the engine lower then 1500 rpm. Unless I was to engage a power take off attachment, which I dont have just yet.

/ Idle speed or not? #2  
My 3325 has a green mark on the tach at 2100. i am told this iswhere i need to run my engine when using the PTO. I can't understand running the engine at 1500 or lower. i would assume you would be lugging the engine at such low rpms.

Don

/ Idle speed or not?
Well thats my opinion. In cold weather, it says, dont run it lower then 1500. while cooling down it says run it at 1500 for a while before shutting off. the whole book mentions 1500, the only time I've known to lower the open more then that would be to engage the pto. On mine, 2816 hst, I turn it on and if its not at 1500, I ramp it up to 1500 right away, and let it stand for 10 minutes, and then increase to desired point. For rear pto, the mark is at 2400 if I remember correctly. I've been using the tractor with just the fel at 21 or 2200. The only time the book says run it lower then 1500 is after transporting it, it says put transmission in high gear and idle at 1000 and then use the peddle. Every other time its no lower then 1500. Even in very cold weather it says done idle lower then 1500.