3 point hitch float

/ 3 point hitch float #1  
   / 3 point hitch float #2  
Most all 3 ph do float (meaning no down pressure). Gravity lets the arms go down, and oil pressure will raise them up. Some mention that some tractor models do have down pressure, but don't think your Mahindra does.

/ 3 point hitch float #3  
Mahindra's 3 PH is just like 99% of the tractors out there, and has no down pressure.

/ 3 point hitch float #4  
Some tractors designed for construction work (backhoe) have downforce 3PH and no PTO.

/ 3 point hitch float
I guess I'm still curious though if and when I ever upgrade to a bigger tractor if any come with a float option similar to what my neighbor described, behaving as if the implement was just being pulled behind on wheels. Unless I'm mistaken, there is a bit of resistance, albeit slow on any upward pressure, right? Or can this be controlled at all with the Hitch Lowering Speed knob to fast?

/ 3 point hitch float #6  
I guess I'm still curious though if and when I ever upgrade to a bigger tractor if any come with a float option similar to what my neighbor described, behaving as if the implement was just being pulled behind on wheels. Unless I'm mistaken, there is a bit of resistance, albeit slow on any upward pressure, right? Or can this be controlled at all with the Hitch Lowering Speed knob to fast?

Are you sure you're not talking about 'draft' rather than 'float'?

/ 3 point hitch float #7  
Are you sure you're not talking about 'draft' rather than 'float'?

Yea i think he is talking about his draft control also.

/ 3 point hitch float
Yea i think he is talking about his draft control also.

You know how the joystick on the Mahindra FEL has the float notch at full forward on the joystick? My neighbor said his JD has the exact same thing if he pushed the hitch lever past the first stop at the bottom of the hitch control lever. It's an older JD for sure, and not a compact either.

after reading now about draft control http://www.tractorsmart.com/main/Tractor Three Point Lift Types.htm this must be exactly what he's talking about... I just hadn't heard the term Draft Control yet. THanks

Last edited:
   / 3 point hitch float #10  
Ok, I'm new and stupid. Just what is the "float" position on my Mahindra FEL for? How is it different from just lowering the bucket? Also, am I to understand that there is no down pressure on the FEL just like the 3ph?