Tractor
Mahindra 3510 / Bad Boy 28hp cat diesel
   / 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #2  
   / 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #3  
pioneer 1/2 " male.they are almost universal

/ 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC
Thanks for the replies!

Finally got the splitter home today, assembled and plumbed. Works well. Now another question about the tractor actually. The lever for the rear remote has to be held in place, forward or backwards. I just have a bungee cord pulling it forward so I can then go back to the log splitter and work that valve. Looks generic, any better ideas?

/ 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #6  
Finally got the splitter home today, assembled and plumbed. Works well. Now another question about the tractor actually. The lever for the rear remote has to be held in place, forward or backwards. I just have a bungee cord pulling it forward so I can then go back to the log splitter and work that valve. Looks generic, any better ideas?

The guy who set mine up found a half-round of 1" aluminum pipe about an inch long on his shop floor and wedged it in to hold the valve open. It happened to be an O.K. fit, so it has stayed there ever since.

/ 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #7  
yup bungee or wire the lever open.i normaly wire mine back vs. pulling forward but its your choice.remember to bring the lever back to the netrail position so you can relese the presure

/ 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #8  
I thought about buying the TSC unit but after researching it I found that it is a pretty wimpy unit. As it only has a 4 inch cylinder the max tonage you can get out of it is 19 tons and probably less unless you have a pretty high pressure hydraulic system, the max the splitter will handle is 3200psi by the way. I have a 60 hp tractor and my hydraulic pressure is about 2500 psi, at that pressure I would only get about 15 tons of force, not very good. If the TSC unit had a 5 " cylindeer I might have considered it as I would then get about 20 tons of force but even that is marginal for splitting the wood around here (Ohio) in my experience, at least 25 tons and preferably 30. Anyway I decided I needed another solution with more force.

wyatt
Jamestown Ohio

Well Wyatt, you surely can find a stronger log splitter, but unless you are splitting solid concrete blocks, I don't think the countryline would be lacking in power to split, not to mention a 60 hp tractor you claim. My lil 35hp has never even grunted at anything I can man up onto the splitter and that's at less the half pto speed. If the trees in Ohio are tougher then the Illinois trees, please disregard.

/ 3pt log splitter, Countryline@TSC #10  
I do have some hickory and other types of tree that are hard to split but I'm sure the trees in Illinios of the same types are about the same. That said its the hydrolics, (not the PTO power unless you put a pto hydrolic pump on the unit and then it gets a bit pricey) that power the splitter and when I did the math, considering the PSI my tractor hydrolics produces, the size of the cylinder the Countryline has etc, the tonage came out between 12-15 tons. I've never used the Countryline but I have used a 12 ton splitter and it really wasn't up to the job. My Tractor is fairly new but maybe your 35 hp tractor has higher powered hydrolics, if so you could possibly get almost 20 tons out of the splitter, that's a big difference. I did talk to some other people that have used this Countryline splitter, including the salesman at TSC, and they weren't impressed by it, saying it was underpowered but then again it depends on the hydrolic system of the tractor, not its rated HP. TSC represented the Countryline as a 20 ton splitter but I couldn't get close to that using my tractor.

SpeeCo makes this splitter (the Countryline manual even shows that an the end) and the manual shows specs for different cylinder options up to 5 inch, which can produce up to 34 tons at 3200psi, but the only models I've seen for sale, including the Countryline model TSC sells, were those with a 4 inch cylinder.

At any rate one should be careful to consider the specs on ones tractor in conjunction with the specs of the splitter before considering a splitter that runs off of the tractor hydrolics because the performance will vary a lot depending on that information, especially on smaller tractors. I think thats an important thing for anyone reading this thread to know.